1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. MarcosLFV

MarcosLFV What's a Dremel?

Wow... you job with aluminium are awesome!

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yum mesh holes sandwich! I want dessert.

3. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D Thanks Marcos :thumb:.

:lol:

Wowzers just got the fresh sheet of alu a couple of hours ago & didn't waste any time :D it is now back in the shape it was before I added the 2 holes for the expansion card mounting system, all the mounting holes line up correct too thank goodness :D.

So all thats needed to be done now for the back panel is:
    Cut the psu hole out, cut a hole out for the bottom hdd fan, shorten the length of the curve bar blocks so they don't interfere with the top exhaust, cut a hole out for the top exhaust, drill out a mesh then the back panel is near complete :rock:. I'll do all this if I can be bothered as that was a concentrated workload I just completed to get back to where I was the other day :D.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Here, I couldn't be bothered doing more than getting back to where I mucked up but I could just about be bothered to get a pic :) lol.

[​IMG]

5. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Stop being lazy and put more pictures for us! :hehe: :lol:

Just kidding... :D

In the back you want to do what?

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Instead of drilling a mesh and risk you can always cut a rectangular piece, add 4 screw holes with threads and add an extra piece of aluminum with any design you want bro. That way if something goes wrong you dont have to do all the back panel again! Just my 2 cents! :)

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:hehe:

[​IMG]

Thats what I was thinking of doing when I drilled 4 big holes, take out the bad & replace with something else but this is a rematch with my first scratch build & I won't let it become a frankencase the 2nd :lol: thanks for trying to help though Alex I always appreciate help & tips even if I don't always take note :hehe: sometimes I do :thumb:.

8. KidMod-Southpaw

Seems like a good layout, I'm keen to see how that performs.

9. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Why is the exhaust hole in the top rectangular, while the intake hole (I'm guessing it's an intake?) at the bottom is circular?

10. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

The airflow not be a problem... :lol: :D

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

It "should" be optimal :D:thumb:.

It's all exhaust on the back :thumb:, also that last image was a rough mspaint idea of whats happening with the back panel :D, so there is 3 fans in the base storage level, the 1st & 2nd fan will produce some excess air which goes through & over the hdd cages & will be available to go into the psu which will take in & out, the 3rd fan in the base will take air out the back.
    Then the front mobo area fans & bottom mobo fan blow air over & behind the mobo while the cpu heatsink is in push/pull fans which will be relatively close to the back panel which is why I'm just doing a mesh & any other heat will be blown out by the scoop at the back, remember the top fan is on an angle & the air will flow along the curved tip hope this makes sense :lol:.

Can't see it being :hehe:.

12. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Still looking good waynio :D!

Keep on going bro :D!

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks k.3nny :).

I've had some kind of virus the past few days & now on top of that I've got cold in my lower back so when standing it aches so I'm gonna relax for another day & see how I am tomorrow, this is probably a good thing to be honest as it gives me a chance to try out some designs on paper for the mesh & other exhaust holes so it fits in well with the rest & already having some nice visions of what I could do instead of a mesh falling back to the sprawling grill idea :thumb:.

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Super fun happy update time :hehe:.

Started 6 am Friday, finished 8 pm had a few quick coffee breaks.

Days like today make me remember why I make my own cases, the past few days I've been questioning why am I bothering doing this lol & the answer is in the pictures, the first botch up panel was one of those where I don't know what to make of it & wondered if I could grow to like it but todays effort I knew immediately I'm glad to say wooooooo :rock::D.

OK so I missed out on taking pictures with the custom circle hex pattern I downloaded, printed from http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/ but I cut to size & stuck down with cello tape & marked the centre of each circle which tested my patience over a few sessions through the night lol but whenever it got too much I just watched a show to break the monotony & when it was done I covered it in cello tape so it all stays down & left until 6 am.

Not sure how long the spot drilling took but it was quite a while, then drilled a 3.2mm bit & then used a 7mm bit, then got my bigger countersink bit & accidentally went too deep on the first one so did all the rest at the same depth & pretty fast I noticed it was a good accident for 2 reasons: 1 it adds a nice & easier way for the air to get through, 2 I think it looks pretty damn good.

The circle at the bottom I wasn't sure if I should go with a plain hole or do the mesh so I went with the mesh & had to just use a few 3.2mm holes for the ones closest to the edge of the wanted circle, not a bad result I think :).

Flipped the piece over & done slight countersinks on the exterior side, then used wd40 to get the tacky cello tape completely off & then used the satinising mop to minimise scratches & then went over it with a fine satinising mop, dusted down & installed back to the case & wow I love it when I impress myself & feels a fair while since I done that, so then enough blah blah & enjoy the pics :D.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome day :).

15. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

QUALITY!!!!! :thumb: +rep for that workmanship :D

16. KidMod-Southpaw

It's a proud day to be Wayne- "No s*!t sherlock!"

Anyway, that's some great spot drilling, AND I just noticed smexy brushed alu. It gets better every time I see it.

Awesome.

17. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

no way.... can't be. drilling For the WIN there!

18. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Wonderfull!

Awesome!

Great work man!

That is really a professional work!

Congratulations!

19. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!. No more to add. That looks pukka Wayne. I'm thinking MOTY already. Got to be a contender.

Oh hang on I added more...Oh well....lol +rep

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  20. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Now that's hell of a lot of holes :D but it looks really great :thumb: