1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Lian-Li PC-V354B - 27 Feb new photo

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Ced-G60, 6 Jan 2011.

1. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Case looks neat!

2. Knighthammer

Knighthammer What's a Dremel?

So if newegg ever gets these back in stock, I'm ordering one from them (the case). I absolutely love this mod. Far better then I could hope to accomplish first time out the gate, but I'll try to do a clean job, none the less.

Question though - do you think there is room to mount a standard hard drive on the bottom of the optical drive tray? Maybe upside down or something like that?

3. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

a SSD goes in fine yes. but not a 3,5" drive. I guess a 2,5" will go in fine.

4. Knighthammer

My thought was to mod it somehow and mount it under the optical tray (not not in the hard drive multi-bay drive). I like your solution, but I can't seem to find one.

5. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

The scythe himuro?

6. Knighthammer

yes - at least not stateside I haven't been able to yet. That is why I was thinking of other options.

7. Knighthammer

I ordered my case today & some sleaving. I'm going to give it a try. Don't have any plans to be as ambitious as this, but I'll see what I can come up with. You've inspired me my friend.

8. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

Cool, Good luck to you then. :)

Otherwise, am short on news atm, busy with my new flat. Got a lot of work to do there. hope to have some news soon.

9. MarcosLFV

MarcosLFV What's a Dremel?

I love shrink cases!

Your case is awesome!

Congratulations!

10. Pulga DSTV

Pulga DSTV What's a Dremel?

Needless to say much
    Fine Design

11. tech1

tech1 What's a Dremel?

Wow, stumbled across your thread from Google as you've used the case which I have shortlisted for a similar project now that the z68 chip set boards are out.

I think your attention to detail and patience are to be commended, mainstream pc manufacturers could learn a lot from this.

A few questions, if I may...

Have you done any thermal testing to see how that heat sink of yours is performing?

What heat sink are you using?
    I personally like the Noctua range and wondered if a NH-U9B SE2 might achieve better results with the fans being attached to it in push/pull?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=32&lng=en

You mention that a hard drive couldn't be mounted under the optical drive but looking at the Lian-Li catalogue, it looks as though you could fit the smaller of the two HDD cages without it interfering with graphics cards?

I also have another case from Lian Li shortlisted from their 2011 catalogue, the PC-C60, which takes a full ATX m/board :) sadly no one seems to have them available yet.

At the moment I think the 6950's would be the best option but that might mean finding a way to mod one of the 3.5" HDD cages to rotate it through 90 degrees. How possible do you think that is to do? I'm trying to retain space for at least two 3.5" drives, another option I just thought would be to use the 5.25 bay under the optical drive for one and then use one of them Scythe Himuro enclosures sideways on the case base under the optical drive area. That would keep the right hand area of the case very open for expelling hot air.

Any feedback appreciated, it helps to bounce ideas around as it's been over 10 years since I built my last PC. So far the case has been the hardest consideration due to it's influence on the rest of the kit.

12. tech1

tech1 What's a Dremel?

duplicate post removed

Last edited: 6 Jun 2011
  13. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

Thanks guys :)

Thank you, appreciate it. :)

Running around 60-65°c on full load at stock setting (i7 920 DO)

You will find my heat sink model on the first page. Space is very tight in there. Most big heat sink will not fit and have to be turn 90°. But you need to be careful with memory clearance then.

You can fit a small SSD size under the optical drive yes. Its a tight fit but it goes.

The hard disk cage is splittable in 2 so you can fit long video card. You also have have 2 SSD size disk space on the bottom.

Hope I could of been of some help.

14. tech1

tech1 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the update, don't know how I missed the info on the heatsink as I did unusually read the whole thread. It seems quite an impressive heatsink from the few reviews I've looked at so far so another one to add to my shortlist. I will have to wait till the end before buying the heatsink as the space is going to be pretty tight, not least the headroom in a htpc height case.

Shame they didn't put the psu on its side in that v354 like they have in the A04, could have squeezed in a Noctua NH-D14 then.

Hopefully removing just one of the HDD cages in the PC-C60 will leave enough for long video cards, otherwise will have to do what I said above.

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/produc...ex=580&cl_index=1&sc_index=25&ss_index=62&g=f

Anyways, I shall start a new thread when the case becomes available in the next month or two.

Cheers for the help.

15. geebles

geebles Own's a Dremel

Very tidy and looks great!! Wish I could sleeve that well! Good work :)

16. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

Thanks ;)

I have another mod coming soon again :)

17. Tna

Tna Moda'a'foca modding power!

great work there, makes even hard couse case is small

18. Karambolage

Karambolage What's a Dremel?

sorry for the dupe post.

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  19. Karambolage

Karambolage What's a Dremel?

Outstanding mod! Really nice!
    I love the color scheme.

Although I don't have your craftsmanship skills I'll build my own case (no mods, just some sleeving and addons) based on the v354b.
    I can start as soon as the Asus Maximus Gene-Z is on stock.

Some questions:
    • How did you attach the Scythe Himuro to the bottom? Some decoupling included?
    • How did you attach the MDPC-X cable clamps? Have all the holes been there originally or did you drill them? If so: how (just a little smaller holes, cut threads...)?
    • Did it have negative impact on CPU temperatures that you removed the fan attached to the cpu cooler?
    • Would the upper hdd cage still fit in front of the cables?
    • What's going to happen to the mod? Will you use it or will you sell it?

TIA!

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  20. Ced-G60

Ced-G60 What's a Dremel?

Thank you for your kind word :)

I fixed it with the provided mounting from under. They don't go as deep as on the side, but it's good enough to hold together even if I turn the case up side down.

Most where already there. I drilled a couple on the front panel where the fan are mounted.

Temperature are correct but not optimum. But they are still very good for a small chassis like this. Around 60°c in load at stock setting.