1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 4xHDD Raid 0 Performance

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FrankieMcQ, 4 Mar 2011.

1. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like someone needs bonded links, or 10GbE :D

I just finished laying some Cat5e in my house. File server hopefully will be up this week if the 30gb vertex and USB thumb driver EVER show up. Taking forever on those two. Sigh.

Finally ditched the b/g/n wireless NIC. *sigh*

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

3. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

I don't think the performance gains of Raid 0 are as little as some people on here suggest. In some situations (like for files that I have backed up in other locations) speed is more important to me than long term data storage integrity.

Also, I completely agree that a SSD is going to be quicker by itself but they are pricey. I bought a C300 and got it to about 70% capacity in the first day just with windows and some essential programs. If you are looking to get a few TB's of storage on the cheap though, SSD's won't meet your budget.

If you hook up 6 x Traditional HDD's in Raid 0 you won't see a 6x performance boost but you will definitely see a huge performance boost nonetheless. You could also use Raid 1+0 (aka Raid 10) and still get roughtly 1/2 the performance boost and have a mirrored array so that if a drive fails it will continue to function and will rebuild the mirror if you replace the broken drive.

Hell, with Raid 10 you can have up to half of your drives fail simultaneously and still recover all your data (of course they'd have to be the right half :).