1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Home Server Build (Storage/Media/App/Game Host)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Matarsak, 10 Mar 2011.

1. Matarsak

Matarsak What's a Dremel?

Budget: ~$400 (Under is good, a little over is OK.)

Main uses of intended build: Storage/Streaming Media/App/Game Host. The latter is fairly undemanding, but needs a decent processor (Atom won't cut it). I've been using a rather ancient P4 box, which runs pretty hot (and therefore loud) even when close to idle; this will be on 24/7, so I've been eyeing Sandy Bridge for a combination of impressive performance and efficiency, but that's probably pushing the budget.

Parts I have already:
    PSU (Antec EA-380D)
    HSF (Freezer 7 Pro)
    HDDs (WD 1TB+2x2TB)
    Graphics Cards (several, though ideally I won't need to use one)

Parts required:
    CPU
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Case
    Case Fans (if necessary, preferably quiet)
    Ideally, budget allowing, a small SSD

No overclocking, no real motherboard requirements. Case needs to have space for at least 5 HDDs (three currently, two for future expansion) and one optical drive, quieter is better. RAID isn't really necessary.

Edit:
    OK, here's a possible combination that looks like it may suit.

Gigabyte GA-G41M - $60

Intel E5500 (Dual Core Pentium 2.8GHz) - $70
    4GB Patriot DDR3 1333 - $40

That's a total of $170. What I'm really having a hard time finding is a case. In the cart with those right now is the Antec 300 for $60, which would work, but I dunno. Ideally, out there somewhere is a small, quiet, understated (i.e. no blazing LED fans) case with decent cable management options.

Also, in that budget there'd be room for a small SSD--a 32GB, perhaps? Recommendations?

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

ASUS E350M1 Series? matx, 5/6 SATA 6Gbps, very low power, passively cooled, onboard GPU, GigE. They do mini-ITX too that also has 5 SATA, but might be more difficult to find. PCI-E slot for disk expansion/optical on a cheap SATA PCIe card?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...rder=BESTMATCH&Description=asus+e35m1&x=0&y=0

Remember that's CPU+mobo price. Faster than Atom but not crazy fast admittedly. Otherwise your next step is H55/G6960

3. Matarsak

Interesting, I hadn't considered Zacate. I think, though, that I want something with more power than that; probably a Pentium dual core at least.

I've been looking at a few different possible combinations, and will throw them up there later.

4. Matarsak

Edited first post with possible build, would appreciate feedback.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

G41 only has 4 SATA and the E6700 is an old chip - go for a cheap E5500. :)

6. Matarsak

Cool, swapped that one out.

I did notice the 4 SATA on the G41, but could get by with that and possibly get a card; haven't found a suitable replacement yet.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103926
    mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130308
    ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220567
    way better features and more future proof for $30 more.

edit: i did some more shopping and switched to am3. that mobo linked can do 8 sata, 10 hdds if you use the ide port. less than the cost of a decent sata add on card. now you'll get sata 6gbps, usb3, a way better igp and still enough grunt to do anything you said you plan on tasking the server with.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2011
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

^ this. You wouldn't have to buy additional SATA cards as the H55 boards have 6 as standard.

10. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

I would bump up to an E8400 or like lysol said, get an i3 system. I have the HP MediaSmart EX 490 with the crappy Celeron proc in it. Everyone that upgrades the cpu in that recommends jumping up to the E8400 range for ideal performance.