1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Show us your hardware horrors

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 8 Mar 2011.

1. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

@13eightyfour - I've seen a few like that. Was too busy holding my nose shut to think of snapping a pic.:(
    We had one so bad that it had to be taken to the driveway and blasted out with the air compressor. It scared the hell out of me when a ferret-sized chunk of crud jumped out.
    Video would have been nice. You could have heard me scream like a little girl too.
    Brown= tobacco
    Grey= weed
    The one I mentioned above involved weed+tobacco+cat.

I do have some trashed house pics that could win this, though... Pity it's 'pooters.

2. big F

big F What's a Dremel?

Over the years I have seen my fair share of user initiated failures, like guy who called me round as his pc was running really slowly after his CPU upgrade, and had some how jammed his old AMD (pre athalon) Cooler on to his nice new Athalon 1200, wit disastrous results, the tennis ball sized ball of compacted dust running around a server at work, the PSU I had that caught fire, but didn't kill the mobo. Most impressive though was my Uncles office PC which I had built for him only months before, His office is quite remote so the internet was until recently dial up. Well one night we had a very large thunder storm, I had loads of calls the next day for cooked modems due to a strike at the top of my road, My uncle phones me as he finds his pc wont dial up after they had a strike on the phone pole outside his work shop, Upon opening it I found his modem was black and all the components were melted on the bottom of the case, Fearing the worse I pulled the card a tried to boot the P.C, it booted first time without any issues, when I put in another identical modem card it dialed up with out any issues. this P.C is still in service 8 years later, complete with its scorch mark in the case.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I thought the mouse went on the desk near the key board. how could i have been so wrong for all these years:wallbash:

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

It's open to April 7th, but we may extend it to a monthly compo if the response is good enough.

Yes, it's open to European contestants.

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

[​IMG]

I don't think anything could be more horrific for a CPC reader. I still have Post Cup Breaking Stress Disorder.

Tea helps though.

6. hiperboreus

hiperboreus What's a Dremel?

7. MattyD

MattyD What's a Dremel?

Being one of the first people I knew to own a 3D accelerator card (A 3Dfx Voodoo 1 with 1Mb RAM LOL) only for the chip to go POP and spray hot metal all over the innards of my case when I switched it on was pretty nightmarish. I saved for months to buy it too. Sadly no pics!

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I had the same with my good'ol voodoo 2 8Mo ... I was playing and then POP, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, black screen, smoke and burnt smell.

No GPU heat-sink bach on those time. I remeber that was really tricky to make a voodoo2 feet my computer, always something in the way (in my case that was the CPU being aligned with the PCI slots.

I went out of IRQ too when changing my sound card for a beautiful sound blaster AWE64 (2 requiered and only 1 left ... had to disable a serial port) xD.

9. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

DUDE! I got that excact same card and it has the _WORST_ cooler imaginable on it. Such cheap sh1te it's untrue. The fan started to go (bearing) after a couple of moonths, making a loud and very unhealthy droning sound until it had warmed up (from cold start). That was ages ago though and its just plateued as is; loud and ineffective. 85% typical gaming fan speed, 82 degrees load temps. W@nk XFX just a pure W@NKY job the whole way. Oh and its a non-reference pcb so no software voltage control :/

Why wouldnt they accept the return??????

10. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

11. adidan

Lol, I don't see any can opener indentations there though you cheat. :)

12. carpetmonster

Comedy value though. Took that in 2007. The disk drive is a 20GB Maxtor. Should have seen all the internets that spilled out when I opened it up.

13. adidan

Nice photo mate, just needs Fray Bentos printed on the casing. :)

So it was you who broke the interwebs and lost me my connection back then... Why, I oughta .... :duh:

:D

14. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

A new tool will make you look for excuses to use it. Such was the case with a new Hakko 808 desoldering tool.

[​IMG]

A DC-DC converter unconditionally surrendered its 20 pin ATX connector:clap:

[​IMG]

Moving on to bigger targets, a new Zotac 9300 ITX motherboard. The 4 pin connector jumped from the board when threatened with the Hakko 808 :rock:

[​IMG]

Bwahhaha, I laugh at warranties. Next up the 24 pin ATX connector.

[​IMG]

Mistakes were made. :duh::wallbash: Another motherboard for the parts pile.

[​IMG]

To answer the obvious question, I was reversing the ATX and 4 pin connectors on the motherboard to hide the wire routing.

15. creative1742

creative1742 What's a Dremel?

16. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

Just an hour ago, while I was watching movie, suddenly a smoke came out from the case :eeek:

It was a Gigabyte EP35c-DS3R, with a Q6600 at stock speed. Didn't understand why :waah:
    Hope only damage is at the motherboard... :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Mar 2011
  17. carpetmonster

VRM burnout...no heatsinks !

18. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

^ya where'd your heatsinks go?

also, cool ram!

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

[​IMG]

Yummy nutritious dust.

20. TARIKK

TARIKK Minimodder

Hi,
    These motherboards do not have heatsinks, at least Gigabyte thinks that it isn't neccessary :)

Tags: Add Tags