1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Casey Heynes: The bullying victim who fought back

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Pete J, 22 Mar 2011.

1. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Are you STILL trying to place the blame for these events at the door of females? and the effect they may nor may not have on males?

Are you unable to comprehend that many victims ultimately reach a point where they quite understandably can take no more from their abusers?

My own stepson was being bullied until recently. Until, that is, he reached his tolerance limit and struck back. There were girls on the bus that day too, did he strike back because girls were there? NO HE DID NOT. He simply couldn't take any more abuse and that was the day he snapped. And now he is no longer bullied.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2011
    adidan likes this.
  2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

There does seem to be a flurry of statements in the thread trying to make out males are weak willed and it must be the girls fault.

Prod somebody enough and don't be surprised if they prod back ten times harder.

Carrie likes this.
  3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Except that sometimes instead of taking a swing at the bullies they show up with a gun and start shooting.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I understand your point of view, but I don't agree with your sentiment. It's not up to teachers to give morality lessons - It's up to the parents. Sure, they're not going to be any better, but the parents need to be the ones to teach their child - Their responsibility - About morality.

I strongly disagree with the sentiment that it's okay to cause someone more damage than they caused you because they, effectively, started it. That, to me, is an absolutely absurd way to live. You cannot, surely, agree with people lashing out at other people because of perceived harm? Where does that go over the line? Taking an extreme example, is it okay for Person A to run Person B over and cripple them for life, then Person A to kill Person B in retaliation?

You can teach people to stand up for their rights without teaching them that it's okay to potentially ruin a persons life in physical retaliations.

Schools have impartial rules because in these situations it is usually impossible to tell one childs sob story from another. Casey was suspended in line with the schools policies, and so was the bully.

No, defence of yourself is not a crime, but it's also not a license to do whatever you please in response.

Casey is damn lucky that he didn't do the bully serious damage, and while I think the bully deserves something spiky stuck somewhere uncomfortable, it's our job as responsible adults to be.. Well. Responsible, and make our every effort to be reasonable.

5. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

You honestly think I'm trying to blame any of the girls :confused: :eyebrow: :duh:

Yeah, that's correct, whatever you think. Casey obviously hadn't been pushed to breaking point, it was all the girl's fault. That's exactly what i've been saying :thumb:

6. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

+1 to that Liratheal. Indeed there are quite a few cases where schools are looked down on for enforcing morality. Just check out the BYU thread where the young man was expelled for breaking the Honour Code. In the midst of disagreement among parents as to what should be taught and what should be left out of the classroom they have decided to just stick to the book and the book says to suspend those involved in fights.

Your comments also have to make me wonder why Casey chose to retaliate in the way he did. I certainly don't mean to pass judgement on whether it was too much force or not, just commenting that it's not exactly a common reactionary move. You'd think he'd punch back or something, not pick the kid up and drop him on his head. Odd more than anything.

7. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Well I'm glad that my interpretation of what you were saying was incorrect then.

But I have to say I find it hard to accept that a long time victim of bullying and abuse would lash out at his abuser in response to a beating he was receiving just cos there was a girl or two watching. Perhaps I have greater faith in males.

adidan likes this.
  8. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

I have a theory that recruitment for JC staff is very deliberate in selecting people with no personality who are as literal as is humanely possibly. A certain kind of drone goes for those kinds of jobs too. Harsh, perhaps, but as most people will authenticate from personal experience, so damn true.

Not only is being on the dole designed to be demoralising, but the experience you get in the dole office is too. I don't think the staff are deliberately condescending, I believe they are just quite unintelligent. I think the people who recruit them would describe them as 'manageable'.

9. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

MV, I know you've given out a lot of dating advice to shy young males on these forums lately, but that doesn't mean every action a guy makes is motivated by the presence of females and their feelings towards them. In fact, I'm pretty damn sure they would have been the last thing on his mind at that time.

Carrie likes this.
  10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I haven't given any shy males any pep talks for a while now, that was a while ago!
    I'm a little hesitant to do any more of that though, as the last peep I pepped, now wants to marry the fist girl he's ever pecked :worried: I wonder if anyone gave Casey a pep talk? I can imagine that guy now, telling Casey "Damn bro, I told you to not take any crap, I didn't tell you to try and break him in half!"

Everyone here knows how much of a big deal members of the opposite sex are. It may have been the 100th time that brunette saw him get picked on, but in my mere humble opinion, noticing her in the corner of his eye, was the last straw that broke the camels back.

walle likes this.
  11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have untold respect for that boy.

BUT, 9/10 times, the big kid wailing on the little kid ends up going the other way and he'd be off to the head master and probably get expelled.

You always have to remember also that bullies can give, but never take. Getting under their skin is worse than hitting them.

12. D-Mon Taurus

D-Mon Taurus What's a Dremel?

Wow reminds me of my childhood. Being bullied have a punch in the face of kids who were twice my age, and like Casey i snapped one day. While those punches were giving i usually used to just give a look and walk away. on the day i did snap the kid i got in my hands was purple by the time i let him go gasping for air. I wasn't thinking just doing.
    All the anger coming out in that one moment, its changed my life and view on violence.
    Its good to defend yourself but always try to keep a clear mind. Cheers Casey

13. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I know it's a seperate topic and I've already had my rant at M7ck about it chap, who was kind enough not to bother to reply on here or to my PM. Says alot really. ANYWAY...

Yeah I think you're right, trust me I have enough issues working with them...
    Me: "Look I know this claim is clerical..."
    JCP dude: "Well the system doesn't show that"
    Me: "Thats because clerical isn't system based..."
    JCP dude: "Oh, right..."
    Me: "Yeah... DM much?"

Of course they aren't all dense, a significant amount of them are caring and considerate people... watered down by idiots.

He doesn't even notice her. I'm going to go out on a whim here and say that you've never been bullied, I mean proper bullied, beaten into the ground everyday of your life, probably like Casey has because of his size... You don't notice anything around you, you see who's attacking you and that's it... there isn't this part of your brain that goes "ooh women" when you've got a gob-shite hitting you.

You know this kids basically been crowned cooler than Charlie Sheen because he's proven that geeks and nerds will stand up for themselves in schools. He's an inspiration to school kids who are bullied, he's GINGER (Well Ginger/blonde) for one thing and quite... large, I'm not going to say the other word as it's a crap description and he's stood up for himself. Amazingly.

I saw a comment about if the hit was slightly different the bully might have cracked his skull open? Maybe he should have... I don't think walking off with a bad leg was good enough. But then to see him break down on television. Well, say goodbye to your life you little scrote, you'll be the kid who "cried on tv" and got beaten up... have a wicked life.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2011
    Carrie likes this.
  14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

You are on my ignore list so when I am browsing bit-tech using tapatalk your drivel does not show up. If you did send a pm then as you are on my ignore list I wouldn't see it (I don't want to anyway). I didn't reply as up till now I didn't realise you had replied.

Anyways...........you have said on a previous post they you work for the jobcentre (I cant be arsed looking for the exact post as I don't want to look through all the crap you posted) yet now you are denying it??? Anyway my original rant still stands, you mentioned signing on as a detrimental action.

15. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

How nice for you, whats it like living in a world where you can just ignore "annoyances". No if you flick through all my posts you'll never see the my say that. I work closely with them because of my employment in the council... so please, go ahead.

It's never a detrimental action. I actively encourage people to go sign on and question their awards (when on Contribution Based ESA/JSA) if they think it's wrong. It helps further down the line believe me. When it comes to him, he falls into the category of dole-doser, and you know what... that terms been around since before JSA was created, when it was literally the dole back in the 60's and 70's and people wouldn't work, or they'd work enough to still claim. That's what he is now, He was my school bully thinking he was going to be driving posh cars, bang hot women you know the type? Someone who always put me down and said I wouldn't be anything... well I'm 22 and successful, plenty of money to keep me afloat, wicked friends, motorbikes/quadbikes/cars whatever I need all off my own back, and this guy who picked on me is on JSA and not wanting to get a job? Well... I think i'm in my rights to take the p*ss out of that chap.

Mick what I would do in the future, if I'm on your ignore list... is keep your "high-horse" opinions to yourself about whatever I write. Clearly if I'm on there... you should abide by the rules you lay down? If you want to continue this... please, send me a pm...

Brawl.

---------

Anyway: Back on topic, sorry for any derailment caused.

16. logonui

logonui Minimodder

I don't think it was restraint so much as the mist clearing. I use to get pushed around a lot when I was a kid until one day I just snapped. All I can remember is someone was trying to push me into a bin, the next thing I knew he was on the floor and everyone one of his mates was looking at me with shocked expressions.

As soon as i realised what I'd done I walked away rather than sticking around. Once the adrenaline wore off he probably regretted doing it, I know I did.

17. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I went though the same at school for almost 5 years. Day in, day out, the same kid and his mates picking on me, pushing me around. My dad wrote a letter to my head of house which cooled things off for a week or two but sure enough they came back.

In the end I snapped with a quick left-right to the kid's jaw. Knocked him on the floor and that was it, his 'mates' laughed at him then legged it as a teacher came over. I was sent to the science teacher's little staff room to calm down more than anything (i was shaking like crazy) and the kid got suspended.

Turns out the teacher had been watching and wanted to see how I handled it, i was told that they couldn't condone me hitting out but that they were glad I had enough sense to stop when I did.

I never got picked on again in the 2 and a half years that followed (the kid and his mates just ignored me) and as a result my confidence went up as did my grades.

Violence is not always the answer but it can be a tool like anything else and there is a right time and place for the use of any tool. Those two punches changed my life completely and i don't regret either one of them.

18. oblivion181

oblivion181 What's a Dremel?

I think that Casey acted perfectly, he was backed into a corner, he couldn't have run or they would have chased after him, he could have taken it which could have let to him being seriously hurt. So he snapped which if left unchecked he could have kill the bully, however he came 2 his senses when he had the kid half way in the air, and realised that he had to end the situation that he was in, so instead of bringing the kid down on his head, he through the guy flat on the floor so that there was no way he was going to come after him when he left, made sure that his point was made and that someone wasn't going hit him in the back and walked away.

There was no other option, it's not right to send a negative message about defending your self, school is there to prepare kid for the real world, if your in a corner and a guy is hitting you and brings out a knife and you know he is going to use it the you defend your self consequences be damned, if you kill the guy then its his own fault, if your there committing the crime then you have to be ready to accept what happens.

Now you might say this is not a kid pulling a knife, however the same principle applies, if the bully continues to hit Casey then he could cause serious injury in many way intentionality or not, there is the nothing the teachers can do if they don't see what happens so you have to stop them at some point.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  19. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

The little runts parents should have been neutered before they had a chance to impose him on the world.

20. 8 Bit Charlie

8 Bit Charlie What's a Dremel?