1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice PC keeps restarting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by drift, 21 Mar 2011.

1. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

I've recently rebuilt my PC (2xF1 1TB) geforce 9800 GTX with a 850W OCZ PSU. After reformatting my pc and installing windows7 again when I reboot it keeps restarting itself before windows has booted up fully, I've tested the CPU and the RAM as well as a different hard drive. Any suggestions on why my PC keeps going into a boot loop? Thanks for your help

2. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Sounds like a corrupted bootloader. Try reinstalling it off the windows disc or if that doesn't work just try reinstalling.

Is the PC shutting down or is it just in a loop?

3. Picky88

Picky88 What's a Dremel?

When you rebuilt it, were there any changed components since it last worked properly? Also have you checked you are using the latest bios version?

4. microsoftPerson

microsoftPerson What's a Dremel?

This might be worth a look for you.

That's an odd problem. I have experienced this kind of continual reboot issue before but it was associated with a complete motherboard and/or cpu failure for me. Not suggesting that is the problem here as my computer would have never made it through a windows installation at that point.

Have you not been able to install any drivers for the system then? I'd suggest getting into safe mode if possible. (F8 at startup)

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Did you touch anything in your BIOS?
    Did you install Windows while your computer was overclocked?

6. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

I've finally managed to fix the problem, it seems that it was Windows Updates that kept making me giving boot loops. It was the SP2 patch for Office 07, so for now I'll resort to using open office. Thanks for all the tips though everyone. Now that the PC is up again I'll also update my sig with what I've got installed.

7. JustLeigh

JustLeigh What's a Dremel?

Glad you got it sorted out, Drift.

Would you be able to give us a quick breakdown of your troubleshooting methods and how you arrived at your conclusion? May be helpful in the future if MS continue to release problem causing updates.

Many thanks in advance. :)

8. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

I may have spoken too soon. After a couple of restarts my pc started doing the bootloop again, and since the only part I haven't changed so far is the graphics card I can only assume it's that. Ordered a new one and will see if that fixes it.

9. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately even with a new graphics card Windows7 still keeps in a bootloop. I have now installed Ubuntu and it doesn't bootloop at all. I am now completely stumped. Any ideas?

10. GoodBytes

Yes, you are most likely missing drivers, on your Linux system, so it doesn't take full advantage of a hardware, which causes the problem.

1- ARE YOU SURE that you don't have any malware on your Windows system?
    2- ARE YOU SURE that you have disabled auto-reboot on BSOD, and that you don't have a BSOD?
    3- ARE YOU SURE that nothing is overheating? (Use AIDA64 (pay, but trial is all you need): http://www.aida64.com/downloads. Also check your HDD temperature, to make sure that none of them pass 60C

11. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

1- I'm pretty sure, I dont have any malware, tried installing in a brand new drive and it does the same thing,
    2- disabled auto-reboot
    3- the drive is currently sitting out of the case and is rebooting so i doubt it's getting too hot

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Have you checked that your CPU cooler is seated properly? Did you apply thermal paste correctly?

13. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

Its the stock cooler, I've reseated the cooler and reapplied the thermal paste (after removing the old thermal paste obviously). Still no joy.

14. GoodBytes

What is your case? Is the frontal USB ports attached (I ask, to see if the case is grounded)
    I know that ultra hyper cheap cases aren't grounded. So, any static chock it gets will turn off or restart the computer.
    I doubt you have an ultra cheap case with those specs, but we need to rule this out.

15. drift

drift What's a Dremel?

Its an Antec P180 case and the front USB ports are powered. I shall disconnect them and see if that changes anything

16. GoodBytes

That case is perfectly fine. I have the same.. well P183.. so slightly different color.
    So that's really not it. Well at least we ruled that off.

17. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

First of all I would of tried safe mode...But thats always the 1st thing I check, its a wierd habit I guess...