1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 Mar 2011.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Why?

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

I seriously don't know why you don't recommend the 6950 2GB!

So far 97% of cards are unlocking to 6970 specs!

The Powercolor 6950PCS++ has the 6970bios on the switch ...no need to flash 'em.

A worthy recommendation for our US friends?

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

"7) Why no Overclocking?
    We decided to wait until we have some overvolting software."

Is that decision anything to do with other sites frying their standard cards with the out of the box drivers when attempting mild OCing?
    And if it is, don't you think it's a little disingenuous not to mention that fact?

Ficky Pucker likes this.
  4. Pot Of Jam

Pot Of Jam What's a Dremel?

I was using my M11x as a example of how higher res on lower dimension screens look better then vice versa.

1080 monitors are buzz word products, because they slap the phrase "HD" on to a monitor people assume that it's better. I don't sit 5.6 foot away from a 24" monitor that's running a lower 1080 resolution.

Using a HD TV for a monitor is good if you want to use it as a media player but using one as a PC gaming monitor is limiting, trying to do work on one is unbearable. Also most high end graphics card like the 6990 work better on a higher res then a lower one.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I have these games on the shelf unplayed, waiting for a graphics card :D
    What kind of laser does she get mounted to her face then? :D
    Where does she hide the batteries?
    Does she get one of these Cyclops-Visors so she doesn't blast you when she looks at you?

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I purchased my old ATI 4770 on the back of huge positive endorsements from Bit-Tech. I've personally never noticed a bias for or against any manufacturer based on anything other than test results.

7. Olias_of_Sunhilo

Olias_of_Sunhilo What's a Dremel?

Having read 6 reviews this morning yours is the only one to make the GTX 590 the outright winnner, why is this? I know the 6990 sounds like a Banshee in comparison but the 6990 is ahead frame-rate wise in a lot of games it even beats the 590 in Nvidia's own 3DMark 11!

Nvidia fanboys? Well I think so - anyone else?

8. Snips

Read their review and it would explain why they have gone the way they have. Average and most top performance figures seem in favour of the GTX590.

As an AMD fanboi, you do seem to have a problem with that? Well I think so - anyone else?

9. Timorous

Timorous What's a Dremel?

Not the best review I have seen from this site. Only 4 games of which 2 are 100fps+ using both cards at 2560x1600. The two more demanding games of Arma II and BFBC2 the 6990 wins. As stated in the anandtech review, the cases where the 590 is winning you are getting 100+fps on both cards anyway so its pretty much a non issue, the cases where the 6990 wins the frame rates are much lower and a 10-15% difference can be the difference between playable and unplayable.

Also the way you arrange your graphs is silly. Minimum framerate without a graph to show how long that minimum rate is sustained for is useless, 15fps for less than 1 second is much preferred to longer periods of 25fps but your graphs would put the second case above the 1st case even though playability is worse.

I can appreciate the idea of wanting to select popular games that are well played but you also need to stress the graphics cards to provide a clearer picture of the strengths and weaknesses of each card. For cards this powerful you must use games that really test the hardware. Metro 2033 might not be played that much but it does provide a good example of how the cards will handle a demanding game which is going to be relevant to people deciding between cards that cost this much money.

10. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@Timorous

I agree that does seem somewhat perverse to test gpus, especially at this the highest end, against games based on their popularity as opposed to the degree to which they stress the gpu.

And in this review, as you say, to only use two of them!

11. Snips

Why is it perverse when they test all cards the same way regardless of make or model.

Well Done Bit-Tech! another excellent review allround!

12. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Jesus, what do you want, a cookie?

It does seem odd that the bit-tech review goes "against the grain" to most other sites though, i will say that. And that alone

13. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

Your sounding like a Bit-tech AND Nvidia fanboi here it seems. I'm sure your only defending what you feel passionate about however I really do not know how you cannot understand that Bit-Tech's method of graphics card review needs to be updated.

14. Snips

Well all you AMD fanbois are leghumping the other sites who seem to be preferring AMD products. You stay over there and I'll stay more informed over here.

As for going against the grain, I call it "not following the sheep" and "maintaining independence". God knows AMD need the help and it appears the other sites are taking those free dinners.

15. PlayedStation

PlayedStation Possessed like an apostrophe

Obvious fanboi troll is obvious.

Regardless of brand, both these cards are ludicrously expensive, power hungry, loud and hot. Aimed at a market of people who like to stroke their e-peen.

Take it you'll be ordering one then snips?

16. Senilex

Senilex Not a Troll. Honest.

I'm sure we are not leghumping the other sites, it's just that the other sites review graphics cards more perspectively.
    Sometimes being different just to be different fails.

17. Snips

I'm sure you are.

They aren't just being different, they are being independent.

Oh and right after you've ordered your 6990 PlayedStation

18. kylew

kylew What's a Dremel?

I really can't decide if you're being serious or not.

19. Timorous

Timorous What's a Dremel?

It is silly to test all cards in the same way. Having some popular games in your test suit is fine as long as you have other games that are targeted towards a card. If they were reviewing a middle of the road graphics card like a 5750 I would expect the resolutions used to be appropriate for the card and I would also expect the detail settings to be appropriate. It would be pointless to try and max out crysis or metro 2033 on a card like that just like it is pointless to test a game that is so easy going on GPU horsepower you are averaging 100+ fps.

20. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

And furthermore, is the above not also like adding fans to a new case Bit-tech have in for review. With one honourable exception Bit-tech have never done that, steadfastly refusing to do so. Why is the 590 now an exception to this rule ?

And the rubbish asides regarding the voiding of the 6990 warranty when the OC switch is used are still there. I refer you to Bit-tech's own article regarding XFX's policy on this...
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/03/16/xfx-to-warranty-hd-6990-4gb-overclock-switc/1

Tags: Add Tags