1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 Xbox 360 vs PC comparison

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 25 Mar 2011.

1. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

"from a resolution below 720p (1,440 x 720)."

Um, how is that below 720p?

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

Has anyone thought that maybe Crytek were taking the piss out out of consoles with their gfx naming scheme. Let's face it, if the 360 is now average Joe in terms of screens quality, then Crytek hit the nail on the head with high, very high and extreme for PC's ...

May as well be honest about it!

I do like those PC screens and I can't wait for some added polish with the DX11 patch.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

+1 to leveller - the PC gfx options are a little joke at the expense of consoles. I'd love to see more games using CryEngine 3, if they license it like the UDK then things could be fantastic in the next few years. Or people could just start using Unigine *mmmmmm*

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

True, which is why I explained that in the article. These screenshots are just meant to be a quick guide for immediately interested parties (and was also the first time we've been using our capture card). When I do the graphics analysis for the full game, I'll try to go into more depth on this stuff.

That may be hard given the lack of official graphics options and the wonkiness of existing tools, however. If anyone sees and good Crysis 2 graphics tweaking or benchmarking tools, it would be appreciated if you let me know.

5. azim

azim What's a Dremel?

I thought the same.[/QUOTE]

I see a difference between Extreme and Very High in first picture, where the small bush has more detailed shadow at very high settings. At the other pictures too, there are more detailed and sharper shadows in very high settings then in extreme. funny.

I have never been a graphic fan and for me a console is more for gameplay on a large screen. Of course you can't compare it to PC. It's not like there are coming new upgrades every month.

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Yeah, almost no difference whatsoever from what I can tell. It's most noticeable in the second set of screenshots when you look at the shadows (or lack of them on the high setting).

That's probably why they chose to set the base graphics setting as 'High', since it still looks pretty good. With the original Crysis there was a massive difference between the Low and High settings, with the Low setting looking so bad that it deserved the name.

Also, I can't believe how bad those 360 screenshots are. Mainly because I keep hearing how people are saying that Crysis 2 is the best looking console game around, yet I'm pretty sure Uncharted 3 looked much better than that.

7. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Massive difference? I can't see any difference between the 3 PC settings!

8. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

It's still DX9, so no major difference between the current settings ( rubbish, slightly less rubbish, still rubbish but better than the previous rubbish)

9. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

How I interpreted that statement is as follows:

Many console games can not actually render at HD resolution, they are upscaled from whatever resolution their designers regarded as an acceptable frame rate to HD resolution (720P). In this case, they are referring to the unknown resolution that they upscaled the images from which is known to be less than 720P.

10. thefriscokid

thefriscokid why s**t so crazy?

11. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Why even bother releasing a dx10/11 patch? Would it even add anything to the game visually?

12. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

13. wardogz

wardogz What's a Dremel?

and....there you go, there's already a... 'Crysis 2 Advanced Graphic Tool torrent' available :).

14. thefriscokid

15. thefriscokid

16. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

How come this is the worst looking xbox-game I have ever seen pictures of since launch of the console? Even Perfect Dark looks better.

Take a look at whatever console game and the screenshots are way sharper. The graphics aren't even good in the pc-version on extreme, atleast the last game made people do headspins in their computer-chair.

Now 4 years later I can run crysis 2 better than the last one, on the same hardware, but it looks worse and the level is 100x100meters (the demo).

I Suspect Bit-tech has misplaced the screenshots with ones from the upcoming Wii-version, allthough that would be the same as the resolution isn't HD even on xbox.

17. -SambaL-

-SambaL- What's a Dremel?

The PC version looks so much crispier than it's console brother, it reminds me again why i play my shooters on the PC ...keyboard & mouse story set aside.

The differences between the PC configs is much harder to see though. I can see that it's almost flawless with the extreme setting but i think i wouldn't notice it whilst playing.

18. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I think the reason console games have been getting worse looking is Microsoft wanted all games to be at least 720p or maybe even 1080p in the begining of the 360, but apparently that was too tough for devs but imo it's because consoles lack the power to run good looking games smoothly at 1080p anyway so microsoft lifted the demand for 1080p or 720p which is why console games look way below the quality of what they should on high def tv's, so I'd imagine if anyone still has old crt tv's current console games may look acceptable on them or a very small high def tv, just a guess, but people with say a 40" hd tv playing an xbox & thinking the graphics are good really need their eyes testing or have beer goggles :p.

But yeah the gaming scene really needs an updated upgraded console, I really believe they should make them upgradable from now on & to wipe out the possibility of people wrecking their console from not knowing what they are doing have dedicated service stations in game stores to have them do the upgrades, it's ridiculas in this day & age to stick with the same tech for gaming for as long as they have & it really holds back progress, even gran turismo 5 devs had to cut details to compensate for the lack of power on the ps3.

I'd prefer to play all games on pc but the only reason I have a 360 & ps3 is for some excellent games that may never come to pc, great gameplay still out weighs crystal gorgeous graphics imo but wow I'd love to have both :D.

Actually I'm not sure why I bother with the 360, but red dead redemption played far better on the 360 compared to the ps3 & I think that was because you can install the full game to the 360's hdd so it ran smoother, the exclusives on ps3 are far better, uncharted series is amongst my fav games of all time & so is heavy rain.

:hehe: End of crappy looking console game blah :lol::p.

19. klimtog88

klimtog88 What's a Dremel?

Console graphics are horrid compared to computers? Without this article how could I have ever figured this out on my own?

I would expect 6 year old console graphics running 640p with low fps - to look great - compared against modern computers with graphics cards hundreds of times faster than the 360 running at 1600p.

wait.. wait?

Might as well compare Nintendos Top gear up against Dirt2 or something.. like really LOL.

/end troll

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  20. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Really? Can someone confirm there is no full screen anti-aliasing?

Tags: Add Tags