1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official bit-tech F1 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by yodasarmpit, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

They do now ;)

2. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

congrats to McLaren for turning around that car! and to KOB for being as crazy as usual.

roll on the race !

3. wst

wst Minimodder

Just watching the afternoon replay of Quali. GET OUT EDDIE JORDAN YOU IRRITATING FLANGE. Gosh he is a nightmare.

Kob is mad. Sutil seemed to be trying to do a similar thing to Kob with the wing and KERS but just doesn't have the insanity needed to pull it off imo :)

What the hell McLaren and Ferrari are doing exactly the opposite of what I was expecting.

Glad HRT are DNQ, their car was actually leaving bits of itself around the track for no appreciable reason.

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Anybody putting money on who will win?
    I think i'll go for vettle

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

You'd have to be either a serious gambling addict or mentalist to not go for Vettel really :lol:

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If Vettel puts in performances like that all season it's gonna be a boooring WDC followed by quite a lot of excellent scrapping for 2nd. :p

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hence the reason HRT should be allowed to race and backmarkers don't need to get out of the way of lead drivers ^^ Should be a problem for any of the top 6 excluding webber

8. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Intriguing information coming out about Red Bull possibly having a mini-KERS system that would need pre-charging in the pits, would only be able to be used once and doesn't have the capability to be recharged on track. If it turns out to be true I can see the FIA recieving complaints because it's not a KERS if it can't recover energy, it'd be a launch boost system which I'm not sure are legal.

9. wst

wst Minimodder

I can't really see how a launch boost system is supposed to help, I mean, they don't have traction or launch control, they need traction control to attempt to put full power onto the ground from a cold start anyway... adding more power just makes the black lines longer, I thought...

10. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I read about that earlier and thought pretty much the same as you, although i wasnt 100% sure on how the system works (if it exists).

Is it just a one shot system or is it a heavily cut back system that has no benefit during a race, except for getting off the start line?

I dont usually like having progress held back by the odd rules F1 is built on, but IF it is a pre charge, single use system and doesnt function as a KERS system then i can see RB having a few legal issues about its use.

11. CDomville

CDomville ^ I am THIS Possum

1) I'm annoyed by Eddie, but he gets the job done. More so than Legard, I'm glad Coulthard is in the commentary box.

2) Fixed. 'nuff said, Kob is underrated, has the potential to go all the way to a championship if he can get it right.

3)We all are, get over it, the excitement of the season is all good!!

4)Agreed, I DON'T want another Hungary 2009.

12. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Good Quali session - glad to see McLaren have gotten the finger out and found some pace. Should be a decent race tomorrow.

Totally agree with the 107% rule. I don't understand how Hispania, with some new funding in place, couldn't put a car together and get some mileage for the practice sessions.

That's two seasons in a row they have done that. The first year... well they were new. They have had a whole winter to get this car sorted, and a parts bin from last year's car to make use of. The engine is decent - the Cossie is well good enough to qualify. Liuzzi's not a bad driver...

The only answer is that the car is woefully underdeveloped.

I know they have budget issues but really! You can't send a car out in Quali with no mileage, no practice times, no testing. It's folly.

Small wonder Brundle said they were "a waste of talent and petrol". It's flipping ridiculous to expect to qualify a car which hasn't even been sorted out in testing.

13. trekkypj

trekkypj Forward Momentum!!!

Who knows... maybe Vettel and Webber will do a Prost/Senna or a Hill/Schumi and collide a few times... :p

14. Krikkit

No-one does, but I think assuming that a few bits coming off wings and diffusers means the whole car isn't built properly is a grossly improper assumption. The quality of some of the aero parts might be suspect, but if they thought it was in any way unsafe they wouldn't put it on track.

That said they shouldn't be in the race, having them trundle round in Q3 and practice is fine, but until they find some pace they'll just be a mobile chicane in the race.

RB's KERS system sounds interesting, it obviously works for them at the moment! Not exactly in the spirit of the idea behind KERS, but it's another case where Red Bull are ahead of the curve and getting to grips with new tech while others are still catching up.

15. 13eightyfour

Well, not the most exciting race ever but good to watch nevertheless. A couple of points:

Congrats to Petrov - solid drive and well deserved.
    The movable rear wings are totally pointless in the current system, if you're going to have them let them let the drivers use them whenever they want FFS!!
    Is the sauber really light on its tires, or just a one off?

Looks good for the rest of the season though.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Petrov and Perez were brilliant. Hamilton was good. Vettel was as clinical as we expected, while Webber was as unpredictable as we expected.

Alonso drove like he had a fire under his arse after the halfway mark, decent race but given the pace the Fezzas showed pre-season, I really expected more from the scarlet cars.

Pit strategy across the board was interesting. Pirelli has delivered the goods with the tires - don't really need Loony Ecclestone's weird ideas with artificial rain and all that rubbish.

The one person I felt absolutely gutted for was Rosberg. He was so promising last season, decent race today but knocked out for no real fault of his own.

17. Singularity

Singularity ******* Operator from Hell

Ok, from what I can read, seems I haven't missed much by sleeping through.
    Any point in downloading the race somewhere, or should I not really bother?

On a semi-interesting point, our national television this year decided to not buy the F1 licence so I'm gonna have to watch the races over german net streams :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

18. Krikkit

If you let all drivers use them everywhere it totally negates the point. As it is it's just a boost to help overtaking on the main straight and something to liven up Quali. Neither of which are a bad thing imo.

19. 13eightyfour

Yeah i should have worded it a little different, i meant for the car behind only, although thinking about it, it would be crap if there was a line of 3+ cars and only the one at the back allowed to use the system :duh:

Not the greatest idea ive had tbh, on the other hand if all cars could use it whenever, would the car infront produce less turbulent air for the following car, thus giving the car at the rear an advantage?

I guess im just not seeing the point in it atm, perhaps if it was allowed on the start/finish straight and the run down to the turn 11/12 chicane it would have made more difference.

20. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Moveable rear wings were a bit of a flop given the build up to them. Only saw 1/2 overtakes using them. Great runs by Vettel and Hamilton, i was very impressed with Petrov's pace! I was a bit disappointed with KOB's final place as I wanted him in the top 6 at least but that sauber has some pace in it!

I think it would have been a better midfield race if Macca hadn't had a puncture and Barichello wasn’t an idoit!

Great start to the season!