1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards code AA on boot - what is it?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bemused, 26 Mar 2011.

1. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Just finished buliding my PC this morning and it's working pretty much perfectly. The only minor niggle I have is that the LED display on the motherboard shows the code AA.

It's a ASUS p8p67 deluxe and the manual doesn't give me much of a clue, not does google. The only other thing that happens is that on boot Marvel says 'no phycial disk found' not sure they are related.

Any help would be gratefully received.

2. numanoid

numanoid Modder

3. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Sadly no it seems to be running fine and the memory is installed fine I just don't know what the code means the manual is pretty useless.

4. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

5. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

Thanks, that's what is in the manual. I just have no idea what it means, PC runs fine but I'd like to get rid of it.

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Not very helpful is it. ACPI APIC as near as I can tell means that for some reason the method that the motherboard is using for power saving features is causing a boot problem. The ACPI as you might have figured out by googling is what is used to handle IRQ management with multiprocessors...or I should makes IRQ management more efficient. APIC is some kind of power saving function that the OS interfaces with BIOS/motherboard using. I think it is for disabling or power ramping on certain chipset/motherboard functions.

I've never heard of an ACPI APIC post error. My best guess is that somehow, the IRQ used for APIC is conflicting with something else, err, something like that. No clue how that could be happening. Maybe a bum power management chip on the board???

The later is my best guess. Sorry I can't be more help.

So it isn't posting? Or it is posting, but it freezes just after post (can you get to the BIOS/UEFI?)?

If you can get in to the BIOS/UEFI try disabling anything that smacks of power saving or green features, or IRQ management and go from there.

No physical disk found I assume means exactly that. I am not sure about that particular board, but a lot of the new SB boards have 8 SATA ports, 4 of them 6Gbps, 2 are through the southbridge, 2 are through an onboard Marvel controller. I assume nothing is plugged in to the non-Intel ports, so the Marvel controller is reporting no physical disk found. It shouldn't be in the way of an error though.

7. bemused

bemused What's a Dremel?

It is posting and appears to be working fine. I'm going to fiddle around with the power management.

Once I disabled the marvel controller the no disk message stopped :)