1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I heard mixed reviews about Paul, does it really attack religion pretty hard or is it fair? I hate people shoving their non-religious beliefs down my throat as much as the religious, if not more :-/

2. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

Alpha & Omega - 7/10

I can't quite understand the slagging off it get's on IMDB. Yup, it's a little weird in places and there's a bit more innuendo than some other G rated kids films but it's not a bad film.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

Try reading non-us reviews :D

4. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

Tron Legacy - thought it was brilliant cgi on (clue)jeff bridges mouth is rubbish though good action decent enough story. 8/10

little fockers - not a bad watch but always trying to find a big laugh got a bit boring in parts not as good as previous films but worth a watch 6/10

battle: los angeles - trailers made it look really good, was ok action wise but acting was soo cheesy 5/10

scott pilgrim vs the world - quite liked this its different and a change to all the typical rom coms kind of films. 8/10

the kings speech - thought this was brilliant was trying to help him get his words out as i was watchin it, deserved the awards. 9/10

the green hornet - not bad film decent comedy and comic book film 7/10

5. quietguy

quietguy D'orc

They don't really argue to much about it. They do make fun of religious fanatics tho.

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Yes! Sooo much CGifying Jeff Bridges. Although, at first I will admit I didn't notice, then was impressed by it, but at the end if was very obvious..

Really enjoyed the movie though still, but I didn't feel for the characters like the first one.

Half of the American comments about Paul I've read have been "it's too British, I can't understand them" :duh: I would understand if they were speaking Afrikaans, but it's still ****ing English. :rolleyes:

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Americanese != English >.>

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Or, to put it more elegantly:-
    :thumb:

9. Xir

Xir Modder

you're welsh...does that count?

10. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Well, yes. Naturally being Welsh means that we're superior in all ways to the English. We just let them win at rugby (and football, and cricket, and...) to keep them happy, poor things.

;)

11. Repo

Repo What's a Dremel?

And torch their holiday homes ;)

12. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

The Eagle - 5/10

It's been hyped up a fair bit, but even when taking the hype (and thus subsequent disappointment) out of the equation I thought it was a poor film.

Quite a weak storyline IMO.

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Knight and Day 7/10
    surprisingly nice, especially well played by Cruise, who'd have thought that.
    Don't get the title though...okay, his name is Knight...but she's not day, hmmm

Ah...I thought that was the Scots, you never stop learning :thumb:
    Then again you all look the same to me from back here across the north sea :hip:

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Hate to break it to you, but you're about thirty years out of date ;)
    I would imagine from that far away, we all look stunningly handsome (myself included) :D :lol:

Any, to stop this thread from de-railing:

The Other Guys - 7/10
    Wasn't sure what to make of this - it's not a stunningly funny movie, but I think it's one of those films that you need to watch more than once to pick up on everything. There were a few brilliant Will Ferrel moments, but he seemed much toned down from previous films. Not brilliant, but not rubbish either. Keep watching through the credits for some amazing facts, though.

15. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Watched Limitless tonight. Easy 9/10, loved it so much! Really good film, nothing too explodey either, really great film :)

16. red4our

red4our ¿Qué es un Dremel?

Gotta to agree with this. Saw it recently and was really disappointed. It just missed the whole way for me.:sigh:

17. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The Book of Eli 7/10

I'm always unsure how to take that film. I enjoy it, even though the book in question is
    the bible
    . I see the film as demonstrating the two extremes of how the book can be interpreted - One way being to control, the other to guide and give strength in otherwise dire times.

Of course, I'd be lying if I said I didn't watch it the first time purely for the violent bits.

18. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

The Adjustment Bureau: 6/10

I'm conflicted on this one. The concept is not original at all - I'm reminded of Dark City and Fringe (the watchers). There's also a religious aspect that drags it down a bit for me. They never come out and say that "the plan" is God's but they hint at it ("he has many names."). The symbolism is pretty obvious, the unseen 'Chairman' being a God and the adjusters being Angels...

The over-all theme is kinda chick-flick fare. What would you sacrifice for true love? The guy is running for state senate with the possibility of going as far as president, the girl could become a world famous dancer and choreographer. To be together, both dreams may be lost...

All that said, it was still entertaining.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

I haven't seen it yet but...
    Big Brother is also the one with many names, and wasn't considered a god.

20. SeT

SeT What's a Dremel?

it's getting into the story a bit but to avoid spoiling too much more in case anyone cares...

Matt Damon's character has several conversations with the 'bureau' throughout the film. It hints more at religion and the bureau being immortal or, at the very least, leading extremely long lives.
    damon: is the chairman God?
    agent: he has many names.
    damon: are you an angel?
    agent: we've been called that.

at another point an agent goes on a rant about people having free will and goes on a rant: "we took you to the height of the roman empire. we stepped back and you gave us the dark ages. we took over again and gave you the technological revolution. We again stepped back and you gave went into world wars."

not exact quotes but the closest I can get from memory after six days...

the agent assigned to damon's character is also hinted at being much older than damon and it has just been one of many assignments.

They also still allow free will unlike alien intervention(dark city) and chance completely screws over 'the plan'.

The more I think about it, the more annoyed I get with it but I'll stick with the 6/10 rating.