1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cor Leonis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 28 Feb 2011.

1. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Attila, I love the drill press, but moreso the materials behind it and the seemingly nice workshop. Good stuff - could we perhaps have some pics of that shop where all the magic happens?

2. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Well man, you certainly are giving the middle finger the the laws of watercooling, but it sure does look nice.

I'm sure you've got plenty of input from the fellows who are on the forums all the time, but if you ever need another WC guru's opinion or advice, you've got my info and I'm all ears ;)

You sure do go at a breakneck pace! I am just beginning the designs for Mil-Spec, and you're on your second mod since we battle royaled at MOTY 09.

3. nat83c

nat83c What's a Dremel?

Awesome, just awesome, and the fact it comes out of Australia makes it even better.

4. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

This better be epic. I'm going to give you a run for the money this year for MOTY. I can't let you win three in a row!

Automatic vs. manual showdown!

5. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

Vs the Auto-Manual Paddle shifters of my build! :rock: lets take it up a notch eh?

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thank you. :) But you only need a jigsaw, a hand power drill and some files to make good parts.

Thank you. :)

Shouldn't be too long. ;)

Thank you. :)

Thanks Tonton. :thumb: You already know I'm following your project. ;)

OK. :D I built this small workshop just before Cygnus X1 was started (2008). It measures 3.33x 3.33 mtrs. It took about two months to build and with all my junk inside, it's a little cramped, but you've seen me do a lot of work outside so where there's a will, there's a way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks mate. :thumb: And thanks for the offer of advice but the guys here have already 'Ripped me a new one'. :hehe::lol:

Thanks mate. :clap:

Haha., well I don't think you guys will competing against this one. It's unlikely that this will be finished this year (of course I could be wrong, as I often am). :dremel:.............................................But.............................................
    .....I'll be starting 'Arrakis' in a couple of months and this may be your competition. :naughty:

Back to the build. I just couldn't get the original layout of components to work properly so this layout, that looks fairly conventional, was arrived at. The advantages of this scheme is that the case is now much narrower, it's not as tall, the exhaust from the rad will direct air overl the boards, and a side benefit, if my cooling system is just arse (which it may well be. :hehe:) then there is enough room on the viewing side of the boards to rip out my blocks and fit manufactured blocks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next time I will be back with the bulkheads. ;)

7. Tonton Buddy

Tonton Buddy What's a Dremel?

Hi :)

Yes i saw! Thanks ;)

I had there is some time a similar idea to yours, but I am not enough equipped in tool to realize it and especialy, i miss space and time to work. :(

Your workshop is my dream!!! :D Me i've just a mobile toolbox workshop and some handtools for work, but it's already enough for realize some little work. :)

8. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Sweet workshop :thumb:, if only UK weather was good enough for me to work outside :)

9. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Dam idd a nice work shop :p

10. Nutman

Thanks for the awesome workshop pics!

11. andy_mcp1

andy_mcp1 I may have an I.D-10T error...

Looking top notch as always:thumb:. Have to admit that I'm a little jealous of that workshop:jawdrop:, beats working out of the conservatory.

Your design is awesome! I've spent a great deal of time in Sketch-Up trying out different orientations of the components using PCI risers etc. Is it just me or is the PSU a real pain in the... I find that it hinders what you can do with the design by dictating the min height or width of the case, it really does limit how small/ thin you can go no matter how well laid out the rest of the components are.:sigh: Rant over...:D

Have always had an urge to design my own water blocks but I never took the plunge because I thought that a) it wouldn’t be possible to manufacture it at home without it looking cobbled together b) able to achieve adequate cooling from them (would the CPU just cook without all those years of industry experience behind the design). However I stand corrected on the construction front and this project has shown me that you can break away from the norm and create whatever you like with just a drill and router and still make it look sexier than what’s on offer in the market. +rep for taking the plunge and pulling it off. Will be very interested to see how this performs in cooling terms, if it sit on par with air cooling then I think I might join you and attempt making some custom blocks for the next project.

Keep up the good work!:rock:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Good speech andy :thumb: but psu's can be mounted side ways too to keep a slim build but just checked what you said again & you said height or width :hehe::p but that could make it so you have the storage in front of the psu :thumb:.

Oh wow I missed checking the update before commenting :hehe:.

Very nice diy workshop Attila :rock: awesome in fact :thumb: & see you are going to be mod juggling soon, awesome :rock::dremel::clap::thumb:.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  13. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

Nice workshop, cant wait to see this finished

14. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Yes it's amazing what can be accomplished with just a few tools. ;)

Very lucky with the weather here. :D

Thanks. :)

Thanks. :thumb: You hit the nail on the head with the PSU. This one component has caused me to waste hours, no, days. I come up with a nice design only to be frustrated by the PSU, and end up putting it in exactly the same place every time. :hehe:

Regarding the home made blocks, I would be overjoyed if they equalled good air cooling in their performance.

Thanks. :) I'm still working but the parts that are being made now take a long, long time. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  15. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

are you going to plug the gaps between the rads and the fans?

16. Nutman

Damn, that's awesome filing. Runs sooo perfectly along those lines.

17. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

How do you make those inner radiuses? I'm having a hard time trying trying to file a perfect circle consistent along the edge.

18. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Don't want to speak for Atilla but doesn't he use round files?

19. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

You're a fooking machine, man.
    So precise!

20. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

Awesome build! I NEED to see how this turns out!!