1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Please help me upgrade my 8800 GTS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VikArmo, 28 Mar 2011.

1. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

The 6950 cards have a backup BIOS on-board so if the flashing fails it is easy to recover back to stock. Virtually risk free...however, if you flash the 6950 to a 6970, then decide to ramp up the clocks yet again, you could kill the card, as would any over overclock.

I think the Palit 6950's actually come with the 6970 BIOS already on the card, ready to switch it on?

2. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

I wasn't so worried about the flash going wrong (as from other people's experiences its pretty hard to screw up) but I'm pretty sure I have read that most manufactures stated that by flashing the bios you invalidate your warranty so if anything does go wrong at a later date, even if unrelated to the bios being switched, you have no chance of refund/replacement. I'm happy to be corrected, especially if as you say pallit are shipping with the 6970 bios already on the card.

I'd still probably go 560 though - think i'm slowly becoming a Nvidia fan boy noooooooooo. My next card will be ATI honest.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

It is this very dilemma that is causing me grief...

Oh well, I haven't actually got the money yet anyway, I've got longer to procrastinate gather important research information supporting my informed decision.

:D

4. 27trowels

27trowels What's a Dremel?

GPU is definitely the most stressful component to buy!

5. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

I don't think the manufacture would be able to tell you have flashed the bios, if you flash it back before returning it if you had a problem

6. VikArmo

VikArmo What's a Dremel?

You all can see what I'm going through now!!!! You have a budget and you have a few choices. The question is which one to buy that will last you a while and won't get you to the point of regret after you buy it.

What happened to the days that you had £190 to spend and your choice was which nVidia card to buy? Then it was you had £190 to spend and your choice was which ATI card to buy? Now it's................. well you know and that's why I've reached this stage.

All your input is priceless and I thank you loads but I'm still undecided about who I give my hard earned cash to. So I guess we should continue:confused: