1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 30 Mar 2011.

1. popcornuk1983

popcornuk1983 Cake or Death?

It's an unfourtunate by product of developing on multiple platforms. It's never been as obvious before as typically new consoles would have been released by now. It used to be that PC overtook consoles in the graphics department by a couple of years, then the consoles would catch up on the next gen. Now with 360/PS3 having longer lifecycles the gap between console and PC is much more obvious. I can probably count on my hand how many PC games take advantage of DX11 cards. Even then it seems to me that the inclusion of DX11 code is a token gesture for the majority of titles. Dirt2 for example. DX11 mode doesn't exactly make a massive difference to your gaming experience.

Until a new gen of consoles are released I don't think we're going to see a massive leap in graphics quality on the PC. Instead, PC devs (like valve with portal 2) will focus on making games with new and exicitng gameplay mechanics. After all, whats the point of having a goregous looking game if the core gameplay is rubbish or a rehash of whats come before?

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I think a lot of commenters are missing the point that this game is a lot of fun, and yes, it may be a bit more linear than the old Crysis in terms of environment, there are still huge arenas to play around in.
    And who cares if they dropped DX11 support for release? I thoroughly enjoy it, and it even runs on my laptop! (on lowest settings)

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

It seems pretty good. Still, the bugs are going to make me wait for a more polished game before committing my cash (and hopefully some 3rd party high-res texture ports).

4. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

I agree with Baz and I see where both sides come from but as always. Vote with your wallet. If you don't like the publisher/developer and their choices, simply don't buy their game.
    There is no need to be masochist and buy someones game and then complain about it for months on forums because it sucks.
    Crysis 2 is no graphics wonder and I doubt Crytek intended it to be. They just wanted a nice enough action packed FPS that they can sell to console gamers as well as PC gamers. Sure Crysis 1 is seen as a graphics demo by many but in reality it was an action game. Screw the story. If you really think they just made it to benchmark people's PCs you are delusional. If you didn't enjoy the game play something else and move on.

And yes I actually bought Crysis 2 (on Steam so no EA downloader worries) because it seems to have a fun multiplayer. I did not however buy Crysis 1.

Crysis 2 still has a few bugs that need to be patched. The CD key doesn't stick so you have to enter it again. And sometimes you get kicked from a server due to "CD key in use" even though I just purchased the game on steam and typed in the CD key that Steam gives me.
    Seems like a lack of QA here.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You peeps do realise that you can still access all suit modes as in the original Crysis by holding down the middle mouse button and moving your mouse in the direction of what suit mode you want?

6. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

If I could go back to a time where Crysis 1 and it's expansion were the only two games of the series, I would.

7. shomann

shomann Minimodder

There are bugs in the game, no doubt about that and that would be the only reason why I think C2 doesn't deserve an 8.

The gameplay is fun, and I am frankly enjoying the story quite a bit. It seems much more believable than C1, more human. I also like how the game has gotten me to the point where I am head-hunting aliens as the alien combat in C1 was a turn-off for me.

As far as the multiplayer is concerned, I haven't spent too much time there yet, but I plan too. Hopefully some of these bugs can be squashed before its gets too bad.

8. shomann

shomann Minimodder

DOUBLE POST

9. RGUK|Alex

RGUK|Alex Camping like a pikey

I cant wait to play multiplayer mode...oh wait.

10. -SambaL-

-SambaL- What's a Dremel?

I think i'm going to wait it out for a bit. I already know by now that it's a good game and that i as a first person shooter fan should own and play it but i don't have a tricked out PC for nothing you know. Where are my options to fine tune the graphic settings just the way i like them? I don't want to choose between just 3 options, good, best or extreme, it makes me feel like a casual gamer.

I understand the whole business model behind it but this is going a tad too far with it in my opinion. Fine with me if you want to go multi platform because there is more money to made there, just don't forget your roots and where you came from. If companies like Valve or BioWare can manage than why couldn't a developer who brought PC shooters to the next level with FarCry and Crysis 1. In the end it comes awfully close to selling out in my book but i'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait it out, hopefully they'll drop a (mayor) patch soon with Dx11 support and such that will make me feel like a PC gamer again.

11. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

If this is true I'll be very happy :)

12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Fair review.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

holding the jump and waiting to superjump is right from console.. only thing I think is innovative is leaning over obstacles

what's up with the footsteps too- sounds like your a bull running through spain.. just seems like a big console port.. the graphics and physics remind me of the original though- there's really nothing to complain about there

I'm running it full up with aa on a gtx 460 and not losing any frames with the nvidia beta driver, using the tweaker some guy wrote

just game is so easy.. especially with the kvolt and stealth kills- after you buy the stealth tactics, was killing everything in the game

haven't finished it yet.. but I feel invincible.. the ai gets stuck a lot too- even those big guys.. he got stuck at one of the mission points and I sat there sitting right next to him unloading some c4 without cloak

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Sounds like it's still worth getting then dispite no fancy dx11 touches.

15. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

At least the graphics look good

16. The Monk

The Monk Minimodder

hmm will probably wait till it appears on a steam sale for a good price.

PS I thought gameplay was more important than graphics! Why is (almost) everyone crying about the graphics?

17. keezo

keezo What's a Dremel?

Graphics are always way better on a PC ofc.

18. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

"I'm getting fed up of PC gamers thinking companies somehow "owe" them all these wonderful extras for free. "

What wonderful extras are you referring to? Traditional PC functionality, controls and settings are not to much to ask for a game released for the PC platform. Developers have only been providing these "basic" features since the 70s. Developers used to give us a lot of stuff for free. It improved the games popularity and many times provided the game longevity which = more sales. Now we are expected to pay for every little extra aka DLC. So if I'm considered to be on a high horse, sorry. IMHO, its in the dev/pub best interest to provide us the best product they can. If they want to neuter it because of consoles so be it but I'll vote with my wallet.

Well thats my two cents. I just felt you not only attacked the PC elitists but those of us who just want basic/traditional PC features. We shouldn't have to conform to the masses. If I misconstrued your post I apologize.

19. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Sorry, I just visions of people pounding their keyboards to a pulp, trying to change suit modes in the height of battle.

How on earth anyone could play the game without using the middle button is beyond me.

20. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

I think a lot of us are just annoyed that games keep getting released on PC without features that are were considered standard 5-6 years ago.

I think gamers should be allowed their sense of entitlement to an extent. I mean you do have to pay for the game and today you REALLY have to pay with most games releasing with a $60 u.s. price tag.

We demand things like free support because there are companies who are doing that right now, and doing a very good job at it. Why can't other developers follow suit?

Tags: Add Tags