1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Silverstone FT03 build (now turning into post your pics of FT03 builds thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lankius Maximus, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

How did the install go Elladene?

2. Elladene

Elladene What's a Dremel?

Install went great. I was just a bit unsure re dual channel RAM and which slots to use. Turned on. All was well.

Until.....

Display connection was very intermittent. Cause was the display cable I was using had quiet a big plastic casing. The case has a small ridge externaly around each expansion slot. The cable casing was getting caught against the ridge meaning the actual connection of the cable could not fit properly in the graphics card.

So. I had to actual bend this ridge away a little with a pair of pliers.

While I was doing it (I had to take the graphics card out). I thought I would move my RAM (I had fit them in A1 and A2 rather than A1 and B1).

After doing this, it wouldn't boot. Oh dear, presumed I had busted something. Moved the RAM back. Booted OK. Strange. Frustrated. Moved the RAM back again. No boot. Saw the red LED light. Realised I had just not fitted in the slot snugly (it was very dark and I was doing this without taking the case apart/ bits out (very fiddly)). Got RAM in correct dual channel slots. Graphics card in (but without screws on back plate to give a tint bit of play). Display port fits fine.

All A1 OK now. Total War working. Just wish Total War Shogun 2 DX11 support would hurry up so I can enjoy the benefits of my GTX 570.

Oh, and its beuatifull, tidy and quiet enough (although slightly audible, case fans I think, maybe I'll replace one day soon).

Me = happy (and relieved).

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Glad to hear it! :thumb: The RAM slots on that motherboard are a PITA. I'm in and out computers frequently at work and that is the first time I have used those type of slots with the catch at one side. They caught me out a couple of times as well.

4. Rhinogobius

Rhinogobius What's a Dremel?

Benchmarks

Just thought I would post quick video of some benchmarks I ran in my new build. I was pleased with scores from my first matx build and it runs so cool and quiet - all fans at 450rpm, no idea why anyone would build full size atx now?

But was surprised at the difference the Asus TPU overclock made.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Mar 2011
  5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

I prefer the RAM slots the way they are tbh. It's a huge advantage when trying to remove a DIMM with a graphics card installed nearby.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

6. AHeilemann

AHeilemann :-)

You could just remove the ram heatsinks, they shouldn't get very hot anyways. :)

7. cwx

cwx What's a Dremel?

Probably not a bad idea... what's your take on running a 1600rpm Scythe slim fan VS removing the heatsinks and using the standard Gelid fans? It's either or.

8. AHeilemann

AHeilemann :-)

Since you have both, I would try both options and compare CPU temperature and noise during load and idle and decide based on that.
    I would choose whichever gives you more overclocking headroom, unless the noise is much louder.

Pretty sure the ram will be fine without the heat spreaders, especially since they get some air from the case intake.

9. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

10. specialworks

specialworks Design matters

Thanks to the contributors for their great build advice -looking to cram my Sandybridge system into a FT-03 shortly. Im looking forward to the possiblities of a whisper-quiet workstation housed in a 6.7kg case...
    I'll have to shrink my ATX P867 to a P8P67-M Pro, but hey....

Think I am pretty well set, except:
    what are you FT-03ers doing with the USB-3.0 cables hangin out the back of the case?

I want to get an elegant cable solution and double the external USB 3.0 ports available to 4.

Of course the case was designed before the header port was standardised,but untidy is a real shame :blush:

Has anyone managed to find USB-3.0 header to USB socket convertors? like this for sale?
    naturally, I want to avoid running cables out of PCI slots, or any manner of fudges...

huge thanks for assistance forthcoming,

cheers,

PC,
    Specialworks

i7-2600K 4.8Ghz@1.375v | ASUS P8967 | Hydro H70 Noiseblocker M12-P push-pull PWM | 6950 2GB enroute | 2 x 1TB HDD | X-Fi

11. EvoDOOM

EvoDOOM What's a Dremel?

The second hot swappable bay would be useful for the case, maybe there wouldnt be enough room for cabling with it though

12. cwx

cwx What's a Dremel?

Hi all.. few shots of my setup which I've figured out now. I've swapped the fan that comes stock on the Gelid Tranquillo for a 1600rpm Scythe Slim. Clears all components and fits with the case fan. CPU temperatures have yet to go over 60*C.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Asus Rampage III Gene; Core i7-960; Corsair DDR3-1600 3x2gb CL8; Asus EAH6950; Silverstone 1000W Strider Gold and PP05 short cables; Sony Optiarc slim Bluray drive.

The RAM (CMP6GX3M3A1600C8) won't operate at 1600mhz; instead bluescreening under load regardless of how you set the RAM to 1600mhz. Only works at 1066mhz. So that will be swapped out for something on Asus' QVL. Sort of a pain but otherwise it's a solid build.

Last edited: 1 Apr 2011
  13. shyrix

shyrix What's a Dremel?

finished my build

Havent acutually turned it on yet. lol. but cross my fingers it turns on and everything is good.

i documented everything as i went along with my build on my facebook page.

you can access it here.

http://shylock.net/sandybridge

had the added fun of paying for the entire build from my change jar. lol.

tomorrow i will turn her on and see how she works...right now, no os or anything.

14. shyrix

shyrix What's a Dremel?

Fired it up this morning, everything worked right off the bat. (Thank god). lol.

Installed os, used the asus auto tune to give me 42x103.0. I'm not greedy, that's good enough.

Idles at 25 deg, running prime brings it up to 52 degrees.

Haven't run any temp monitoring on the crossfire yet. When I tried wow, it was blowing out hot air from the cards side, the h70 side was cool air.

15. shyrix

shyrix What's a Dremel?

What kind of temps are you guys getting if you crossfire in this case.

My crossfire 6870s are running very hot. 93 degrees peaking at 101 during crysis 2.

I have 2 80mm noctua quiet fans in there right now, but I may have to upgrade them to something that moves more air, I bought them for their 'silence' but the two 6870s with fans running at full tilt are damn loud anyway.

16. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

Hi there people.

I've been following this thread ever since I read the review of the case.
    You guys convinced me to make a build for myself.
    It will be a long term build taking me at least 6 months.

Already have the case and psu on order but rest of the gear will have to wait another month or so.

The idea is to fill the FT03 with a reasonable system:

Corsair HX650
    P8P67-M Pro (or Maximus IV gene if it ever comes out)
    I5 2500
    4x2 gskill 12800 cl9 1.25v sniper Ram.
    Msi 560ti twin frozer II
    Intel G2 120Gb SSD (already at home)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Sony Optiarc slot dvdrw

What do you guys think?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

;););)

I will say no more.

18. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Can't think of anything I can change in that build tbh, that looks perfect for a sensibly-priced yet potent computer. You could look at the Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold series for a PSU, they're modular like the HX and 80Plus Gold certified, giving 90%+ efficiency. Even at full system load, mine only throws out a very gentle draft of cool air.

You've said enough! ;)

19. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The HX is easier to find where I live. The Hx is gonna take 2 weeks to get here and the FT03 is gonna take another 3.
    Other 80+ gold psu are to expensive to consider so on a tight budget that's what I could think of.

20. Iskra

Iskra What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The Coolermaster is very hard to come by where I am, that´s why I went with the HX.
    The PSU will take another 10 days to get here and the case willl only arrive on the 26th.

Until then it´s a waiting game :(