1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Homefront Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 31 Mar 2011.

1. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

I got it on PS3 and the single player was ok but too "hold my hand" and "do this and do that" for me. About 3 hours on normal.
    And the multiplayer on PS3 SUCKS! it takes about 20 tries to get into a match. Normally you just sit in a lobby with one other person for 5-15 minutes and then find out that the matchmaking on PS3 side blows.

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I like your reviews Joe, I don't think they are merely an opinion neither, I think you really analyse a game very well & often give a slightly overly fair score just as good as word of mouth from gamer mates to be honest, pity this game turned into a total flop as the hype machine they had running caught my interest as it did many others but this review saved me the gutting feeling of paying out for a game that can be completed in a very short time & me wondering why I put myself out of £30 so cheers mate :thumb:. In fact +rep :D:rock:

3. airblade

airblade What's a Dremel?

I have this for console and wish to god I had not spent my hard earned cash on such rubbish!! Personally I think that giving it 5/10 was too much. This is just a rip off of all other FPSs that are on the market. The online is dire!! It's such a shame as it could have been so so good!

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

5/10 for an utterly average game - perfect scoring in my opinion!

What a shame though, this looked actually quite promising. That said, using fridges as doors is genius, reminds me of the HL2 E3 preview where Gordan pushes a fridge infront of a door to stop the Combine breaking in.

Funny isn't it: that was demod eight years ago, and still no game has managed to do it in a proper non-scripted fashion.

5. runbmp

runbmp What's a Dremel?

I'm enjoying the online portion quite a bit. I never got into the latest and greatest COD and BFBC2. Somehow however I'm enjoying HF.

Controls feel tight and the maps feel really balanced.

6. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'm incredibly happy I didn't buy this and instead played it on a friends PC.
    It took me about 4 hours to do the camapign on hard, and I didn't want to touch the multiplayer. It was strange when I finished the game cause I thought I was only on something like the 3rd chapter out of 8 or 10, and the game ends right when all the action is getting together.
    I loved the intro and thought that kind of cinematic experience would keep happening, but the bus ride ended too quickly. They could have done a lot with the story on it, but it just seemed to end up as fodder for MICHAEL BAY-SPLOSIONS! MA-BA-BLUH-BLAH-SPLOSION syndrome.

Funny that people are saying its a poor mans CoD, cause where I am, it's retailing on steam for $79.99USD, which is $10 cheaper than Black Ops or MW2 (both still retailing on steam at $89.99USD each, same price as when they launched)

I remember hearing something about it being a little STALKER like too. I was having great fun with the game as it is though (I haven't played any of the CoD's), so it was fun, but from what I remember being told of it a year or so ago, it failed in that respect.

Speaking of STALKER, the Call of Pripyat Complete mod is out now, so save yourself some cash instead of buying this, grab CoP on steam, install the mod and get yourself 10 times as much gameplay out of it for a quater of the price.

7. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

This could have been so, so good, in so many different ways. Imagine waging proper hit-and-run guerilla warfare in an open environment, or pondering the moral equivalence of the United States being on the end of an invasion for once.

Annoying to see such potential wasted.

8. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

QFT

Good review as usual Joe. :thumb:

I too was hoping for this to be a bit better, but tbh after seeing some MP footage recently, I thought meh... And 3-4 hours SP??!! Puh-Lease... :sigh:

9. sWW

sWW Minimodder

I was thinking of getting it for the multiplayer as some people were saying it was similar to Battlefield. But now I feel I should save my money and continue to play Black Ops and Bad Company 2 until Battlefield 3 comes out.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

There's a candidate for a $2,50 Steam-Sale :eyebrow:
    I like your reviews too, Joe :thumb:

11. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

MP is quite good I think. The vehicles handle pretty badly though. I'd give the game 7.5/10 for MP

I've not played the SP yet.

12. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Even if this game was more of a 7/10, I'd have skipped it. Waiting for something truly awesome to get me to play a scripted military shooter again, and BF3 might just be it.

13. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

14. Shichibukai

Shichibukai Resident Nitpicker

Got it and HIGHLY recommend you do that,,,

15. MorpheusUK

MorpheusUK a Noob that knows something

5/10
    Perfectly Average
    I have to agree
    Definately has lots of potential and hopefully there will be a secont to continue, with slightly less liniar do this do that and a little more freedom.
    I did enjoy it as a fun shooter but was very upset to see how short this was.

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

You know your 5 rating looks far more like an S rating. Ya font doesn't work too well with that number. Just saying.

17. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

SP is a average half life 2 rip off, not bad.

MP is pretty classy, balance is perhaps the best seen in multiplayer, controlling your perk unlocks is nice too.

It's not the best mp game out there, but its areally solid attempt at breaking in, well worthy of a purchase and definately worth hoping they are allowed to evolve the series as this is an exrtemley good effort of breaking into a very mature genre.

18. Jhodas

Jhodas Theorist

Gutted. I was looking forward to this, the preview and podcast made it sound like it was going to be something different.
    Someone needs to break the photocopier all developers seem to be using at the moment...

19. n4nz

n4nz What's a Dremel?

Whilst the SP is admittedly short and samey the MP (post patching) is now quite slick, whilst there are similarities with The COD series homefront manages to keep it's own identity with drones and vehicles that are only available for purchase during the distinct map you are playing.

The big draw from my perspective is kaos are releasing dedicated server files and modding tools, this is something that has been severly lacking in recent releases from both COD and Battlefield series, in the current climate this has got to give the game endless potential. For this reason i give the game a big thumbs up.

Tags: Add Tags