1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Home cinema advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NiHiLiST, 1 Apr 2011.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I'm moving into a new flat soon and wanted to get a half-decent sound setup, but I don't know much about it. I want to run my TV, Blu-Ray player, games console and music through it and am looking for an AV receiver and set of speakers. I'm not really after surround sound, a decent stereo setup will do. It's a fairly big room, 21'x14' with high ceilings, and has wooden floors, I don't know if that affects things. My budget's around £400.

Any recommendations, advice or pointers on what to look for would be much appreciated :)

2. Hawkest

Hawkest I got some 4GB new RAM

Not up on hi-fi equipment at the mo, but can't recommend richer sounds enough!

I swear by Cambridge audio amps, I've had 4 of them.

400 quid should get u a canny setup!

3. Ross1

Ross1 What's a Dremel?

For a non-consumable product, getting through 4 amps would make me lose faith in it ;p

4. Hawkest

Lol, I upgraded them with richer sounds trade in offer.

Got 2 at the mo.

5. Christoburg

Christoburg 3 Projects in the Pipeline

I'd recommend Onkyo for an AV Receiver/Amp. Superb value and highly recommended. I'd also spend £50 on a massive rug to cover a larger part of the floor. It will make a difference.

Have a look at http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/home-cinema.

Good luck. I'm so happy with my Onkyo setup. :rock:

6. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

+1 for onkyo

7. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

Would put forward my vote for both Onkyo and richer sounds. Put £2000 into a cinema system 5-6 year back and it was a great system for the price. Prices for a similar system of today's tech would be much much lower these days

8. NiHiLiST

Thanks guys, Onkyo's certainly seem to get good write-ups for my price point :) Are there any speaker brands to look at specifically?

9. Hawkest

Can't knock onkyo great all-round surround amps.

10. Hawkest

I spied a denon all in one pack. Surround sound amp and matched 5.1 speaker set for about 450.

Speakers are very much down to personal taste get yourself to a shop and start listening.

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I bought the Yamaha RX-V667 (£275) from Richer Sounds last month and it's pretty damn sweet, especially with 5.1 sound and a good blu ray movie. Other good options for similar money are the Onkyo TXSR608 and the Sony STRDH810. The Yamaha is supposed to be slightly better than the other two for stereo (music) they're all damn fine.

12. Xonar

Xonar What's a Dremel?

Make a difference in terms of what? If we're talking in terms of sound insulation then it won't make much difference at all to airborne sound transmission.

Got to agree with this, I have the Onkyo myself and it is a fantastic amp for films and fairly accomplished for music, the Yamaha my dad has and it is slightly better for music however I think it lacks as much in the low frequency department so for movies it may be slightly behind, couldn't really go too wrong with either though.

13. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I have a Harman Kardon AVR2600 that I'm very happy with.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I would suggest checking out Onkyo TX-SR508. It is 7.1, decoder for even the BR 3D formats, simply everything you could need. Of course if 130 W/Channel is enough for you ;).

15. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

16. Puzzu

Puzzu What's a Dremel?

+ 1 for the Yamaha RX-V667.

It also has a better up scaler than the Onkyo and HDMI 1.4 so will support 3D if your TV is to spec.

But then at your budget it might be hard push to get the speakers and speaker wire at your price.

What you might consider is getting the Yamaha and then look at getting the speaker separate as in invest in a nice pair of front book shelf speakers then add the center, bass and rears when you want to improve the surround sound.

so looking at RS as a pricing point

Amp - Yamaha 667 - £280
    CAMBRIDGE AUDIO S30 (pair) £130
    PIONEER SHS100 - £80 (cheapest surround - but look at 2nd hand if you don't mind)

you will need to get speaker cable for the S30 but the pioneer should come with some.

just an idea, and as a guide line you should only really be spending 10% of you budget on speaker cables so for your set up I really dont think spending more than £40 on cables will gain you any extra benefit.

17. NiHiLiST

After a bit of reading it looks like the Yamaha RXV667 is probably the way to go, the specs are right and it seems to get praised for its performance with music over the competition. I'm happy to go with stereo speakers for the time-being too, so Puzzu's suggestion might be right on the button :)

Thanks folks.