1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education I need your help badly. With French.

Discussion in 'General' started by Picarro, 30 Mar 2011.

1. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

As an assignment in French class I have to answer 3 questions about a fairy tale we have read in class. Normally this would be no problem for me as I could write the essay at home, and bring it to "homework-help" at my school. Unfortunately the teacher who's in charge of French at "homework-help" is sick and I am therefore unable to receive any help what-so-ever for this essay and I really don't want my grades to suffer any more than they already do!

I hope you can help me with a couple of pointers as to what I should correct in it :)

Lots of e-cookies and tons of rep to anyone who helps me :)

The first part is a translation from a Danish text - of course you cannot help me with the actual translation, but any clear grammatical errors should be singled out and shot ;)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Let a bi-language help you out.

Q1: You said:
    They are a lot of authors whom write their own version of the Petit Chaperon rouge (Little Red Riding Hood), for example: Charles Perrault, in 1697, your (really.. cause that is what "ton" means.. did you make a typo?) storybook Contes De Ma Mère l’Oye (Mother Goose ?!) appeared to become a big success and immortalized his name. Back then, storybooks of fairies was a popular genre among people , but was never accepted in the yard (or backyard - I don't understand the meaning of "cour" in this case...). In his foreword, he highlight (or underline) the fact that the point of storybooks about fairies are for entertainment and education purposes.

So we can see it's very good. Small details to fix like the punctuation, and what does "cour" mean. But not bad. If I had the original text I could help out better.

Q2: You answered:
    YOU just said:
    I don't think that is what you wanted to say...
    Now, I don't recall exactly that story to write about it. But if you can define what you wanted to say, I can try and translate it.

Q3:
    Ah very nice.

Here is a fixed up version:

Le conte de Geoffroy de Pennart n’est pas un conte de fée typique. C’est une interprétation moderne du vieux conte de fée. Il présente Chapeau rond rouge comme une fille gâté, et une fille qui n’aime pas sa grand-mère. Elle est rusée, un peu psychotique et insolent comme un laquais. A mon avis, Geoffroy veux règlé avec la conception qui le conte de fées sont très charmants et heureux. (You wanted to say: Geoffroy voulez démontrer le concept the conte de fées peut-être charmant and heureux) Il a inventé une Chapeau rond rouge à l’année 2000. Le conte de fée ressemble le conte de fée danois qui s’appelle « Den Lilla Møghætte og Pulven ».
    (I don't really like that last sentence, but it's good).

Picarro likes this.
  3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Sorry, can't help you with the french, but I have one small question:

What is the danish word for "the wolf"? Is it really "pulven"? (Refering to "Den Lilla Møghætte og Pulven"

I thought that title was about the same as in Norwegian "Lille rødhette og ulven".

4. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Oh the correct word for "the wolf" is "ulven", but "Den Lilla Møghætte og Pulven" is a sarcastic version of the original Red Riding Hood story :)

Actually, I don't even know what a "Pulv" is myself.

Well, that didn't really turn out the way I wanted it to turn out. I'll have a go at the text again myself. The assignment has to be handed in next week, but there is noone in my circle of friends who are good enough at it to be able to help me, so I really appreciate you taking the time GoodBytes :)

Last edited: 30 Mar 2011
  5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Aha! I see. :)

6. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Just looked it up - apparently "Pulv" is the same as powder, so it is actually "The Purple Riding Hood and the powder" which is the sarcastic title.

7. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I'll help you when i get home in a few hours

8. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Damn, you guys are helpful today!

The assignment is not to be handed in before next week and with GoodBytes corrections I have a pretty good idea of what I have to do. AND - I'd better do it myself than let someone else do it, otherwise I'm never gonna be any decent at French.

9. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Sorry I forgot to help you ! Goodbytes seems to have done a good job and you are absolutely right about doing it yourself. If you have any specific question though, just ask :thumb:

10. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

There's quite a few areas in your answers that don't make much sense, you've also quite a few grammatical, punctuation, and gender problems. However, where those errors are located, your text doesn't make much sense. So if you post what you're wanting to write in English, I could better help you write a correct translation.

It means the royal french court, mainly the circle of nobles that the King trusted the most and would have present on a daily basis in the royal palace.

Otherwise, this might help you:
    "Il y a beaucoup d’auteurs qui écrivent leur version de petit Chaperon rouge" - I think you're conjugating it wrong here, consider doing something like: "Beacoup d'auteurs ont ecrit leur version"
    "En 1697 ton livre Contes de ma mère l’Oye a paru qu’est devenu un grand succès et immortalise son nom" - Sentence doesn't make too much sense here and using "ton livre" makes it sound like you're addressing someone in a letter. It's the equivalent of me saying "your book", you should also italicize book names. Consider doing (sorry for lack of special characters) "En 1697 son livre Les Contes de ma mère l’Oye a connus un grand success et immortalise son nom."
    "À cette époque-là les contes de fées étaient un genre populaire dans le peuple mais n’accepte pas dans la cour" - Usage of "dans" would be translated to "in the people", also "dans la cour" makes sense in English, but not in French. Consider doing "populaire avec le peuple" (with the people) and "n'etais pas bien recu par la cour".
    "fées sont divertir et instruire" - You're just missing "sont de divertir".

I'll look at the others after eating dinner

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  11. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

*deleted for cleanup*

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017