1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage New HDD/SSD? For Gaming

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zauber, 3 Apr 2011.

1. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Hey guys

Built a sweet gaming rig recently, it runs BF BC2 maxed out and I've wanted to record gameplay for YEARS!
    I finally have the PC to do it but when I recorded it was laggy every 10 or so seconds.

I worked out that recording to the same hardrive the game and OS is on is a lot of strain.

Currently I have a Samsung 1Tb HD103SJ.

I want another HDD to record to. Is another one of these HDDs good enough to record max settings 60fps full size BF to?

Or should I look at getting a faster HDD or even an SSD?

Is an SSD for the OS/game files worth it?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

The only time I was able to FRAPS with next to no performance loss was with a SSD. A vertex 2 will be awesome for that as FRAPS footage is uncompressed.

3. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Sweet. If I was to get an SSD I'd be inclined to put the OS/Game on it rather than record to it.

Also, does frequently recording to/deleting from and SSD degrade it quickly?

Thanks for the help

4. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think modern SSDs don't really have an issue with that. The OCZ Vertex in particular have TRIM and garbage collection.

5. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

yes it does, although it can take a while before you notice a performance decrease, but just make sure you have it set to ACHI mode in the bios and then you'll have trim enabled and you'll be fine

6. Zauber

Zauber What's a Dremel?

Sweet.

On a side note, SSD's are pretty damn expensive. What HDD would be good for recording to?

7. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

none tbh dude as phazed said, the only time your not really going to get the same problem your having would be with an ssd, a veloci drive might do it, but there so damn expensive I'd say there not really worth it

8. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Do what I did. FRAPS to SSD then copy to mechanical drive for storage.

9. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it depends on the bitrate you're recording at as to the speed that's needed...

Well, if you think that, in 2003, one of the top end HD specs for major films that was launched was HDCAM-SR & that was only 440Mbps max (ie 55MB/s) for 60fps -> now there's a HQ version which is up to 880 Mbit/s (ie 110MB/s) & is commonly used for HD TV programmes...

...the former 'could' be capped in r.t. using an average HDD & the latter using either a decent SAS drive or a raid array.

Okay, this obviously isn't what you're trying to do (& is only a write process whereas 2 drives would be needed for reading & writing), but pointing out by using an analogy that if you work out the bitrate (ie from a very short cap) you can then decide what's needed to accomplish the task & the best value for money.

Edit - NB i'm not suggesting to ignore Ph4Zed's advice, simply that your bitrate may vary from his depending upon things like (esp) the resolution so do your own calculations.

Just pointing out that you 'may' find that something like creating a small partition at the beginning of a 1TB F3 just for capping 'might' be good enough, & both save you some cash & give you extra storage in a 2nd partiton.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011