1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Is a 64mb SSD big enough for win7?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eUphoria, 3 Apr 2011.

1. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

As above really - planning on an SSD with a mechanical 2nd HDD plus NAS for storage. How much space will likely be left with win 7 on the SSD? I've currently got vista and will be changing soon. Will there be enough free space to run windows, office and a couple of games?

Maybe I already know the answer to this, but just interested....

2. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Definitely. For reference, a Windows 7 Pro install on a system built recently took up around 11-12Gb, this was with pagefile at 2Gb, and Hibernate disabled.

3. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Yes it is. I'm running a C300 64GB SSD for my OS drive, and currently it's using 35.3GB, and that includes Office installed along with various programs like my Adobe CS5 suite.

No problems at all.

4. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

64mb isn't... pretty sure you'll be ok with 64gb though :p

bulldogjeff likes this.
  5. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it depends on the size of the games & how much of Office you're installing...

Well, with bunches of small programs, Win7 Ultimate, Word/Outlook 2010 & a couple of bits of Adobe CS5 then my total install atm is ~32GB on this machine.

Whereas, on my other machine (Win7 Ultimate, most of CS5 & bunches of large games) then i use a significant proportion of my 4x V2 184.3GB R0 array.

Yeah, 'ideally' on a 64Gb drive you'd want to be increasing the OP by under-partitioning to ~50GB or so on an OS drive & then only be using no more than around 80% of the total, but this is the best case option...

Okay, you do need to leave a reasonable amount empty, but if you can get your total install onto the drive down to ~50GB then, other than accepting that it won't be as robust (lower longevity) & will impact somewhat on durability & speed after heavy writes, you can get away with it.

6. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Have some rep for spotting that one...lol Good shout:D

7. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

Got W7 and Starcraft 2 installed on mine with 15-20GB to spare :)

8. sonicgroove

sonicgroove Radical Atheist

currently have w7 ultimate, crysis2, fm2011, shogun2, nfs2 and office on mine with 13gb free. also have all smaller apps, such as AV, ccleaner etc

9. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

Running Windows and programs off 40GB SSD with 5GB to spare

10. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Fail. 64 GB. If you're going to be a smartass, at least do it properly :wallbash:

11. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

bah!!! Knew someone would call me a smartass. :hehe:

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Win7, a few bits and bobs, DAO2 and 20+GB spare for now.

13. eUphoria

eUphoria What's a Dremel?

So it seems that 64 GB! is enough then, hmm - maybe 120 isn't required, maybe.

oops - defo GB and not MB :blush:

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yep, I've got it installed on my F60 along with Steam and some games. 120 would be nice, but 60/64 is enough for sure.

15. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Yes its easy enough. With all my programs installed to it and Win7 x64, I have about 20gb left (andI have system restore running). Mines a Corsair F60 60gb one and its blown me away how quick they are coming from hdds

16. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I have Windows 7 64-bit on a 64GB Kingston. That's with DiRT 2, World of Tanks, Studio One and a few other goodies on there. Pushing 3GB of space left, but Studio One uses a lot of space for loops, as does Addictive Drums. (3GB just for samples! o_O)

17. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Aren't you meant to leave a little space spare on the drive in order to preserve it's speed in the long run.

18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Beware that Vista & Win7 installs tend to bloat in size over time, primarily due to the WinSxS (Windows Side-by-Side) folder.

Vista & 7 store multiple versions of various DLLs in the SxS folder, specific to programs or drivers installed on the system.
    As far as I'm aware, the point of it is to allow apps and drivers to install the specific versions of libraries they need without overwriting the versions other apps & drivers need.

It's a good idea in theory, if not a bit hackish, messy and purpose-defeating.
    In practice, it can make for a WinSxS folder that grows absolutely, unmanageably huge over time and doesn't shrink as applications/drivers are removed.
    It's usually the main reason a busy Win7 installation will go from about 20GB to 35GB and upwards over the course of a year or more.

The reason this is relevant is that even if you decide to install only Windows to a specific volume, that installation will still grow in size over time and as more apps are installed; on top of the pagefile.sys, hiberfile.sys and system restore points if you use that feature.
    Just because your Windows installation fits into 20-40GB now doesn't mean it will in the future - Bear that in mind and don't be too generous about what you install alongside Windows on a 64GB drive.

19. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

Wasn't it proven that those dlls in WinSxS were just junction points from elsewhere and gave a false idea of how much space it was taking up? Don't have a source link to hand but it should be somewhere if googling around.

edit: here it is, as I was curious myself: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/e7/archive/2008/11/19/disk-space.aspx and http://www.davidlenihan.com/2008/11/winsxs_disk_space_usage_its_no.html

Last edited: 4 Apr 2011
  20. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Who didn't spot it?! :confused:

And OP, please at least change the thread title... "Edit" > "Go Advanced" > "Save Changes"