1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. Xir

Xir Modder

Dead Man Running (7/10)
    this is probably an old movie for you brits, but it didn't run in the cinama's here.
    Quite liked it, not as over the top as the old guy ritchie movie's, but a nice britisch "lovable Baddie" movie.
    I liked it, and it payed to watch it in original english...great bunch of accents :D

"the guy's not scottish is he?"
    "Wouldn't know really.....we're here to see Hamisch McClintock"
    :D

2. red4our

red4our ¿Qué es un Dremel?

The Warrior's Way. Good action flick with Western meets martial arts plot. Good fun, excellent action sequences , stunning cinematography and the very lovely Kate Bosworth. 8/10. Worth a look.

3. red4our

red4our ¿Qué es un Dremel?

Also re-watched Pulp Fiction today. Its been a while since I'd seen it but it reminded me what an original piece of writing this was which many have tried to copy since, but with less success. So much great dialogue and a real star cast... "A Royale with cheese".. 10/10

4. Xir

Xir Modder

Let the right one in 8/10 Låt den rätte komma in
    I really enjoyed it, it's a bit slow of course, but has just the right tiny amount of special effects to not devastate the great story.
    Kudo's to LTUKELT for recommending it here in the forum :thumb:

5. Amorris

Amorris What's a Dremel?

I watched Grosse Pointe Blank last night - first time in years. Reminded me how good that film is.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

Repo Men 8/10

very explicit, a few minor plot flaws, but all in all a very good movie. The end is a kick in the nuts :D
    SciFi is underrated these days...blade runner would go unnoticed these days :D

Anyway, Thx to Blarte for recommending it. :thumb:

7. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I've been a busy film watcher recently!

The Next Three Days - 9/10. Russell Crowe shows us once again that he can pull off "dramatic and edgy" like almost nobody else. Great story line, excellent writing... Simply a fantastic film. Also set in Pittsburgh, one of my favourite cities :thumb:

The Tourist - 8/10. I didn't really know what to expect with this one, but Depp and Jolie pulled it off nicely. I wouldn't say it'll have you sitting on the edge of your seat throughout, I mean it's a little predictable in places, but it's well shot in beautiful locations, the story is quirky and funny, well written and performed by some of the worlds greatest Actors. Angelina Jolie looks stunning throughout, obviously.

Unstoppable - 9/10. I have no problem admitting that when it comes to Scott Free films and Denzel Washington films, I am totally biased. There's a good reason for that though, because neither SF or Denzel do bad movies. I've been waiting so long for a really great runaway train film and the fact that this one was based on a true story made it even better. If I had any complaints, it's that there were a few too many "news report" style shots and that Rosario Dawson didn't get enough air time/lines... but hey, I'm biased there too ;) Chris Pine is a very talented young actor, I hadn't seen him in anything recently but he performed really well with Washington who was, as always, brilliant.

Fair Game - 9/10. You can tell that I love dramas. This was one incredible performance, from start to finish. Again, being based on a true story I knew that I was going to enjoy it... and I really wasn't disappointed in any way. I knew quite a bit about the Plame affair from the media but this detailed look inside the run up to it and how it unfolded was fascinating. Naomi Watts and Sean Penn were a perfect pairing and played off each other well throughout the whole film. The direction, writing, locations and most of all the acting was brilliant. Doug Liman absolutely killed this thing, it's awesome. There are quite obvious remnants of the Bourne films but it's exactly that kind of film. It's a minor point, but for what it's worth, this movie also had the best "oh, so that's here the title came from!" moments I've ever seen.

The Fighter - 9/10. Another two actors that I would watch in pretty much any film, and both in another film based on a true story about a sport that I have a sort of hidden attraction to. I'm not even going to go into detail about this. Unless you hate the sight of Mark Wahlberg or Christian Bale, or really have something against boxing, go and watch this film. It's based on a fantastic true story, it's well written, well shot and well performed (although Amy Adams' performance was kinda... meh). It's a great story and it even has some of the actual Eklund and Ward family acting in it, as well as Mickey O'Keefe, Ward's real life police officer mentor and trainer!

Foo Fighters - Back And Forth - 10/10. Biased? NO! Okay, maybe a little ;) The bottom line is this: You have to be a Foo's fan to enjoy this. I am a massive fan, so this was a no brainer for me. I really don't know how this could have disappointed me or any other Foo Fighters fan. They'd have had to do something really, really bad for this to be anything other than the brilliance that it was. It's a fascinating story of a band that lets face it, has been through the ringer and come out the other side as a masterpiece and a success. Dave Grohl is one of the coolest people to watch on screen and what was even greater to see was when he was talking about all the bad times and the s**t that the band went through, he was actually quite emotional - he's already mentioned in interviews that it was hard for him to watch the final cut of what is basically the life story of his band, which he consistently says throughout the film is his life. It was great to see and hear from previous members William Goldsmith and Franz Stahl too, as touchy a subject as it was at the time. The live streamed performance of Wasting Light at the end of the Documentary was just the icing on the cake... they performed the whole album (flawlessly) in one continuous take, and it was a masterpiece to behold. I could talk all day about this film and still not explain just how special it was. I really doubt that I'll see 2 hours and 30 minutes of more incredible footage for the rest of the year. If I was looking forward to it before, I absolutely cannot wait to get to the Milton Keynes Bowl on the 2nd of July now :D

8. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I fancy watching that The fighter .. Nice one.. Xir thanks for the mention its a great flick that isnt it lol

I watched that With Paris with Love on Wednesday on Sky ..John Travolta and ... Ok his name elludes me, but if you like a bit of tongue and cheek hail of bullets and a bunch of dead terrorists / villians type films its a must see. JT is just brilliantly cast in this film
    8/10

9. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I met the lady on whom this movie is based at a screening :D She's pretty cool.

10. Unicorn

Awesome! Yeah she seems pretty badass tbh... both her and her husband were like "We don't care if they're the CIA, we're going public with this and we're going to get some results, got it?"

And they did.

11. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Jealous! Wanted to get to see that but there were no showings close enough to make it at a reasonable hour on a work night. Can't wait for MK Bowl either after hearing the new album.

I think the documentary is on VH1 Classic tonight in the US, not sure if it's being shown on the UK version but I should get to see it somehow. :rock:

12. Unicorn

Yeah, it really was quite special. I had to travel a bit to see it as well, but I kept the evening and night free to make sure I didn't miss it. It'd be great if it came out on bluray/DVD... would love to see it again.

S.W.A.T. Firefight - 4/10. - Oh lawd. I should really just leave it there, but suffice it to say that a lot of cheese, bad writing and bad acting went into making this piece of tripe. Don't waste your time or money :rolleyes: The reviews on IMDB for it are even worse so I know I'm not alone in this opinion.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Legion - 2/10 - One of the worst films I've watched in a long time, it gets 2 points. Firstly a point for a couple of pretty ladies and guns, second for Dennis Quaid. Honestly? Don't bother, it's not worth your 90 minutes.

14. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Rio - 8/10 Not quite as good as the Ice Age movies but well worth watching and there are some really funny bitsin it.

15. Unicorn

Two of the four points I gave S.W.A.T. Firefight were for the inclusion of Carly Pope and Shannon Kane. One was for Robert Patrick but it had to be taken off again because his dialogue throughout was so utterly stupid, however I realized that it wasn't entirely his fault and added it back on again. The last point was for sympathy.

16. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I saw a Danish movie called Hævnen (In a Better World for the US release). Quite good, slow burn, intense, engaging. Just really, really good.
    9/10

17. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The Crazies

7/10

Never saw the original so cant comment on that aspect, but I quite enjoyed it quite alot- draws very heavily from Resident Evil , Outbreak and films of that genre ( virus/zombies > survivors > military > escape ) but still a decent enough film in it's own right. Plot was quite predictable with few twists or surprises, and the ending being setup for a sequel was a bit meh, but worth a watch I would say if anyone hasn't seen it.

18. Xir

Xir Modder

The Extraordinary Adventures Of Adèle Blanc-Sec 9/10 (Les aventures extraordinaires d'Adèle Blanc-Sec)
    But that's a very personal rating, I realise that.
    It's a comic-book adaptation, and as all comic-book adaptations, it's really a genre of it's own.
    Worse, it's based on a french comic book. These can be great, but they are...different. ;)
    In my case however, I like french comicbooks, and I love Luc Besson's style of movies, so this one was the biggest surprise.
    I really loved it.
    The music fits perfectly, the speed doesn't go out of it, the story is ridiculous to say the least but entertaining, and Besson loves strange/ugly characters.

I know it flopped, but if you like unrealistic adventure stories, give it a chance.

19. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Death Race 2
    7/10
    Yes, possibly a bit high on the ratings there, but because it wasn't as crap as I expected.
    It's more of the same, with a bit of prequel storyline, some of the old gags.
    Other than that - hot chicks, guns, Sean Bean as the crime boss and Danny Trejo as the "Jewish Mexican". Good fun to watch,

20. Xir

Xir Modder

If someone in Hollywood goes "Hmmm, we need a Mexican" and *Ka-Poof!* Danny Trejo appears. :D
    Either he's of Jeanny-offspring, or I'll be mighty disappointed if I ever go to Mexico and not everybody looks like him. :sigh:
    We have a guy with turkish roots in German cinema that does that, you'd think he's the only one!