1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Radeon HD 6790 1GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 5 Apr 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

looks like some sort of extra large liquorice allsort

3. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

4. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Why the endless comparisons with the 550ti. It's main competitor at £115 will be gtx 460 768mb.

5. Xyllian

Xyllian What's a Dremel?

This card probably exists just to get the chips with defective rops sold, not a very exiting videocard tbh.

6. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Seriously guys, what's with the Intellitxt adverts? I called you up on it over the weekend (see comments in the Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro Review) yet no one replied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the review, as a 5830 owner I'd recommend steering clear of this - driver support has been pretty poor for my card. I had to roll back to Catalyst v10 after the v11 versions kept giving me BSODs. The only reason I got it was because I wanted a little bit more performance than a 5770 but was just a bit short for a 5850, even after choosing a lower spec CPU.

Incidentally, does anyone know how this stacks up to a 5830? Given they both sit just a bit above the 5770 I reckon they could be quite close.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  7. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

being a Bart GPU, surely it would make more sense to call it 6830.

just as i thought i could make sense of AMD's naming strategy.........

there's no sense with nVidia's, one have to guess which GPU is used in which card. with AMD, 6900 uses Cayman, 6800 uses Bart, but they broke this by naming this Bart GPU as 6790 :(

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Sorry, didn't see that comment. Anyway, bit-tech/gamer doesn't have any Intellitext ads, what you're referring to is a new ad service called Vibrant that replaced Skimlinks late last week. And while I'd certainly agree it's not ideal, ads are a necessary thing for keeping publications such as bit-tech/gamer alive.

Anyway, back on topic, I doubt the 6970 will be much faster than your 5830 given how similar both cards are.

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

10. mkb

mkb Minimodder

TWeaK, just get Ad-Block Plus. Best of both worlds. Bit-Tech can get the revenue they want from ads and you won't have to see them.

11. Bad_cancer

Bad_cancer Mauritius? 2nd speck east of africa

Interestingly enough, I don't get the intelliTXT. (maybe a region thing?)

Least it's marked out with double green underline (and not the classic blue underline) so you KNOW its an add.

The other solution would be to remove adds all together and make bit-tech a "pay for access" site.

Can't have both. They don't work and have servers for free you know...

12. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

We've been through this before and we'll do it again... :sigh:

IntelliTXT is UNACCEPTABLE! I use AdBlock Plus on all my machines & browsers but I turn it off for Bit-Tech due to their repeated desire to stay free from annoying & obstrusive ads (IntelliTXT, flash with sound, flash suddenly spanning over the article, etc.).
    I don't get IntelliTXT ads yet (just checked at work with IE9) but once I do, I'll activate AdBlock again at home.

Look, I know you guys can't run the site for free & you get the cash when we click on ads, not just by displaying them. Why do you have to have in-text ads now (again)? Last time 'round we had a MASSIVE discussion about this in the forums & the decision left no room to wiggle free: WE HATE INTELLITXT! They are amazingly annoying, especially since they open up on mouse roll-over, which is pretty common when scrolling down the page.

Do we really have to have another poll?

And... @ Lizard:
    Seriously, mate, stop that. Check the pics provided:
    Code:
    ...server=bit-tech.uk.[B]intellitxt.com[/B]
    [/rant]

The card itself is... meh. Not enough performance to beat the 6850, no real results for cooling & power draw yet.

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

That's what other website reviews have been saying - why buy this when the GTX 460 costs the same and is significantly faster. If you really want an ati card spend a few more £ and get a 6850.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

you can get a 460 1gb for £120

which is what £5 more than this yet it offers alot more performance

if it was my money id never recommend an yone buy this card

Considering the target market is the £500 budget pc market. what psu has 2 pcie connectors by default without using cable changes which this is unlikely to supply the cable changes. Quick check of 2 psus in the £50 price bracket shows both with only 1 pcie connector by default. ( ocz 500 watt steathseries )

good review but it should score less for usability out of the box as your default test pc contains all the cables you might need. Very few pcs in the £500 budget area do even if the leads only cost a few quid more when the 460 1gb is so close on price yet outperforms it every few quid makes this even worse than it is.

15. Goty

Goty Minimodder

I don't think anybody is producing 460s anymore, so the option to buy one will probably soon disappear, especially at current prices.

16. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

I hoped for better power consumption if this GPU is cut down version of Barts LE.
    According to specs it's features are cut down yet it has same transistor count and even power consumption is similar to 6850.
    This leads me to question - would it be possible to flash new VGA BIOS and turn it into 6850?

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

My £42 BeQuiet L7 530w PSU has 2 8 pin (6+2) PCI-e connectors. IIRC so do the Coolermaster GX series (550 is below £50 I think) and the modXstream series from OCZ. Just checked, the StealthXstream II series also have 2 pci-e connectors (1 6 pin, whilst the other is 6+2).

Every Graphics card I have purchased since the advent of PCI-e power connectors has come with the relevant molex to PCI-e adaptor so I doubt this card will break the norm.

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Good review, seems like a bit of a pointless card to me though.

"We can't reccomend spending this little on a GPU" - Spelt recommend wrong. :)

19. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

When it came to comparing this card to the price point competition, it's a tough ask. With prices so fluid, Nvidia can drop prices and shift the landscape at will. Not to mention that between £100 and £140 we now have....

GTS 450, HD 5770, GTX 550, HD 6790, GTX 460 768MB, GTX 460 1GB, HD 6850 1GB

As current SKUs, as well as their own factory overclocked samples that blur the lines ever further. Thats a very heavily congested £40 of market.

In the end, AMD gave us a £115 price, which is the same as the GTX 550Ti currently sells for. As we said in the review though, spending that little bit more you lots more performance. However, we have to realise that for some people, spending £115 on a GPU is a lot, and draw the line somewhere.

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

Intellitext, Vibrant, Skimlinks same thing to me (what ever the company is called most call it Intellitext no matter what the advert company is called) i thought bit-tech was never going to use it as most users voted and voiced that it to be removed (you need to tell you ads company's to use PNG or JPG ads as i use flashblock or Opera with load plugins on demand ,so flash only loads if i click on them)

i norm blacklist all ads for that use Intellitext ads on there site (i not seen any yet thought mite be that i have all ready blacklisted 4-5 of the Intellitext company's that are around or they do not load on chrome or chrome blocks them auto)

does seem like it would match up to an 5830 performance wise, not that i can be bothered with ati drivers any way as there is an low chance it bugger up when you update the CAT software

Tags: Add Tags