1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte G1.Sniper Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 6 Apr 2011.

1. veato

veato I should be working

I can't imagine how this board - given its price and spec - is designed to please the "console kids."

It is obviously aimed at PC builders.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Who in their right mind would spend £360 on an x58 board now?

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Well, frankly, they aren't sayinng it very clearly then :lol:

See above edit. They say they'd save the cash, but those people that would consider saving cash are just not target audience. The price automatically disqualifies the board as a sensible purchase, so what the review should be targeted at is if it's worth consideration over similarly overpriced offerings such as the Asus RIIIE and the EVGA Classified.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

£360? I got my 2500K and P67A-UD4 for less than that!

5. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

"the G1.Sniper misses the headshot"...? More like shot themselves in the foot.
    Price is ludicrous, looks cheap and tacky.
    Asus ROG all the way for me AT sub 200quid prices of course.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Its not a bad board the overclock

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Is stable at low vcore and I still don't get the point in these tests, £360 board but no water cooling push CPU to 5ghz with the correct vcore and let's see what she can really handle. It's like buying a 580 sli graphics setup to play solitaire

8. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It's nice to see a lot of people here have somewhat better taste than the Gigabyte "style" & marketing team.

That northbridge fake gun muzzle looks rather ugly and quite dumb. The magazine makes it even worse.

If I was designing a new mobo for Giga it would have dual function heatsinks for PWM, NB and even SB. Each heatsink would either include water nozzles or the top of the heatsink would detach to allow fitting of included waterblock or air cooling top plates (and it wouldn't be the badly designed waterblocks that giga and asus have used previously).

DFI made something along these lines and Foxconn created a nice hybrid NB block on their blackops.

9. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

this i agree with

10. feathers

feathers Minimodder

It fails to compete full stop.

11. Ipatinga

Ipatinga Don´t bother... I´m right

1 - If Bit-tech think the Gigabyte G1.Sniper is expensive for what it delivers (poor value in the mini chart)... them I hope the review from Asus Rampage III Black Edition comes next... man... this board will probably hit the rock bottom on the value (since it is pretty much packed as G1.Sniper, but cost a loooooot more).

2 - G1.Sniper... because some people like some bling bling...

3 - Why the hell there are no G1 and Black Edition on the 1155? For crying out loud... give us 1155 goodies.

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

That's exactly my point , it's a bit odd that they're including stuff that simply won't impress potential buyers.

13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Hmm. I might have to sell my Classified3 to purchase this. After all, it costs more so it runs faster, right?

14. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

I'm sorry, but £360 is a good motherboard and an overclockable CPU. I don't care how fancy it is, I'm not paying that just for a motherboard.

15. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

Seriously, who cares about X58 now? [Excluding failed existing mobo and need for replacement without buying SB before X79 premiere]

12 months ago, yes, both Gigabyte G.1 series and Asus R3EB were potential hits. Today, if you running already X58 you won't change mobo (unless you sleep on ca$h and couldn't care less about money) 6 months before X79. Right now any G.1 or R3E Black for [equivalent of] 150 Pounds - YES! Worth a try for sure. But no chance in hell for 350-450.

It is not just FAIL from Gigabyte G.1-family/Asus R3E Black. It is bloody TSUNAMI OF FAIL. End of story.

16. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

@Hakuren

Actually I would upgrade my X58 mobo to one the had sata6, USB3 AND pci-e 3.0 ...when it arrives.

However, such a (decent) board is unlikely to ever appear.

17. Teh Noob Slayer

Teh Noob Slayer What's a Dremel?

Colour scheme (green) would be good for a bespoke PC and Nvidia Card setup but that's probably the only good thing abut the motherboard imo.

18. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

This mobo will go super sweet with that heat sink with plastic flames on it that was reviewed a few weeks back.

19. GiantKiwi

GiantKiwi What's a Dremel?

I would buy it on 2 conditions :

1. If i had the money to spare.

2. If a full board waterblock would come out for it similar to the one EK makes for the R3E

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

What a stupid piece of hardware.

Tags: Add Tags