1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks What Notebook?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RGUK|Alex, 9 Apr 2011.

1. RGUK|Alex

RGUK|Alex Camping like a pikey

Dear Fellow BitTechers,

As university dawns ever closer I am hunting for the best notebook available within my budget. I have managed to create a list of the things I am looking for in a notebook which have been arranged by importance to me.

• Costs under £400
    • A good battery life
    • A decent processor
    • Have USB 2.0 ports and a CD/DVD Drive
    • Lightweight

Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated, I am currently looking into the Acer Aspire range however I feel that my budget could buy something with a little more oomph.

Thanks all!

Alex

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Here is the catch..
    You have to choose between:
    Power, quality (will last 3 years + at best), after sale service or size, long battery life.
    If you have a real backpack.. trust me weight is not a problem, your shoulders can carry a lot of weight for long period of time.

You CAN have it all.. but be prepared to spend about 1600+$ Canadian/U.S

Here are my recommendations but goes a bit over your budget. BUT I am sure (cause I have done it numerous amount of time (2 times for Dell monitors, Logitech speakers, new laptop battery and my laptop) if you call to order, you can negotiate a NICE price, which should make it affordable:

Dell Vostro 3450 http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/vostro-3450/pd
    -> Solid System, which will last you a long time
    -> DVD burner
    -> Look nice and professional
    -> Non glossy screen for easy viewing of the screen
    -> Sandy Bridge CPU
    -> 2x USB 3.0! Yes!
    -> 1x USB 2.0
    -> 1x eSATA/USB 2.0 combo port (yes, you have eSATA!)
    -> HDMI / VGA port
    -> 9-cell battery upgrade (but it will lift the system in an angle... so not great)
    -> Windows 7 64-bit

-> 14inch.. so its small, like a laptop should be. My recommendations is 13 or 14 inch. 15 is a bit cumbersome, 17inch... well just bring your desktop to school.

-> can be upgraded to 3 year warranty with 3 year next business day on site service. That means if you have any hardware related problem, Dell will send you a technician over your place the EXTACT time you want starting from the next business day, to repair your system. The work is done professionally, and in front of you. Any screw up by the tech including scratches performed by the tech are covered by Dell. This way: You ALWAYS have the laptop in hand, No need to pay shipping (Well Dell pays you the shipping by sending you pre-paid shipping labels via e-mail), and you can see the work done in front of you assuring the work is done properly, and ensure that your problem is solved. No other companies other than Lenovo has this service. I have it. Best money ever spent! Oh don't have time for a tech, and you feel you can do it yourself? No problem Dell can send you the part with a pre-paid shipping label to return the old one. Dell has a full service manual.

When I called Dell for my laptop... and negotiated a price i got:
    -> Free RAM upgrade form 2 to 4GB
    -> DVD burner upgrade free
    -> Intel wireless N upgrade free
    -> 9-cell battery
    -> Higher screen resolution (you don't have that option)
    -> 350$ off
    -> free shipping (that's a giving.. just by calling they immediately give it to you, unless the sales rep is mean. In witch case just end the conversation and call back)

So you can see.. Dell CAN go far
    When you call, I recommenced pushing for the Windows disk, no mater what.

Order from Dell Small Business (I said family business and no problem), as the warranty service is FAR superior then Dell Home. They are very relaxed, fast, and the warranty service is... get this.. LOCAL to your country (not outsources in India or China).

I don't think you'll find better.

RGUK|Alex likes this.
  3. RGUK|Alex

RGUK|Alex Camping like a pikey

Thanks Goodbytes,

I have looked at the Vostro and I have to say its a nice looking bit of kit so it will definitely be considered.

rep+