1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bioware considering Mass Effect MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Apr 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

Stop putting auto play videos in articles, this Mass Effect video and the Witcher one have both ruined songs for me in the Foo Fighters new album...

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

^Exactly what I was going to say. Last thing I want is videos playing over The Hold Steady!

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Ehh... MMO would be pretty mediocre IMO.

Stories just aren't the same when there's half a million people doing the same thing, and Mass Effect is nothing if not story driven.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that the story is the only, really, stand out thing for ME.

5. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

Err, two articles in a row with an attached trailer that autoplays with audio.

Please don't.

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But where BioWare wins out is that they've put just as much effort into the back stories as the main story, so they have plenty of other material to put into an MMO. The Citadel is a perfect setting - multiple races and species coming together, the histories and frictions between those races, and humanity wanting to join in, waiting like a n00b in the corner of the room.

The downside, of course, is that the side-missions in the Mass Effect games are your typical MMO-type grind fest fair - go there, rescue these people/kill this monster - that it doesn't bode well for an MMO.

EDIT: Another +1 against the video players. Please don't. Thanks :)

7. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Yeah, no to auto plays please, if we want to watch a trailer we will in our own time and auto playing will not force interest. Please consider those of us that might be using a mobile dongle or other capped services and are trying to converse bandwidth, every MB counts to people in some situations.

8. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

But the ME universe has ALOT of backstory, I'm sure you wouldn't disagree.

Aslong as it was implemented correctly and done with care it would have potential.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

They need to release The Old Republic first lol.

I'm not sure how I would feel about a ME MMO. Can't quite see how it would work. Unsurprising really when they themselves can't either...yet. I did hear mumblings about them doing a FPS type game set in the First Contact War. Now that I would like to see!

10. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

okay..first off... disable that auto-playing trailer.. that's not welcome

second .. I'm SO glad they're not going to add Multiplayer to ME3 .. it doesn't need it.

third .. If they make a ME MMO ..and do it justice ..i will TOTALLY sign up!!!!111eleven

11. Project_Nightmare

Project_Nightmare What's a Dremel?

Mass Effect is a great game, but MMO generally suck IMHO. If they do it, I agree that it is going to be mediocre and they would create a better game that the fans will love if they kept it to the RPG market. If they make it an MMO, I probably wouldn't buy it day one and would wait for a year before I buy it so i would know if it is good or failed.

12. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Lets see how The Old Republic turns out and then we'll talk.

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Bear in mind that they're restricted to a certain extent by Lucas, so if SWTOR sucks, the suckage might not be entirely BioWare's fault. ME is entirely their own work, so they have complete freedom with what they do with it.

That said, I think they're going to need more mission types than the standard ME side-missions to make it last long-term.

14. kdavies

kdavies What's a Dremel?

Been a lurker for a long time now but I am going to make my first post just to ask you to please STOP putting auto play videos in articles. As for ME3 I am very excited but a MMO not really. I would rather see a FPS type game in this universe.

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

I can't think of any MMO that I'd want to play. But, good luck I guess, just make sure ME3 is good.

16. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

Im glad theres no multiplayer on it. Is the single player campaign mode soon going to be a add-on for an online multi-player game instead of the other way round?

Its not that i don't play online but i much prefer a story based experience.

17. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I think the fact that they seem to be taking the time to consider how to do it actually bodes well. It sounds like everyone and his dog has said 'Do an ME MMO!' to them, but they're stopping and working out how to do it without making it how everyone here has suggested - i.e. crap.

18. bagman

bagman Minimodder

well I think mass effect has great potential for being a MMO, because of the citadel is like the city where you buy and trade stuff, you have the plants for the quests, you could play with your friends in the squads as well as recruit bots and I think they could implement some galactic warfare with the spaceships

Tags: Add Tags