1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Custom Maps would you like to see on the CSS Server?

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by Tuned#Stu, 20 Mar 2011.

1. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

Some of you may or may not be aware that Caveman has been looking at adding new maps to the recommended list of maps for the server (i.e More Custom Maps that you will see in the rotation).

So what would we like from you? Well if you have seen a decent custom map that you would like on the server then post the name below and Caveman will review the map to see if he thinks it is suitable for the server.

So what are we looking for:

- Map must be able to handle 32 Players

- It must be a standard custom. No - Surf Maps, Rat Maps etc

- Must be a well designed and balanced map (i.e not so one sided it will make people rage quit)

- Advantageous if it has a full mini map

Currently Accepted Customs:

De_Villa
    Cs_Kismayo
    Cs_Twilight
    De_Losttemple_pro
    De_Nightfever
    De_season
    De_Autumn

Currently Under Consideration (will keep up to date with accepted suggestions below):

De_toxin_50
    De_Strike
    De_Cpl_Mill
    De_Tuscan
    De_strata
    De_cpl_Strike
    De_Contra

What we are looking to implement on the CSS Server is a constantly rotating Map cycle which changes every 2,3,4 weeks which has a mix of both customs and standard maps. This hopefully will mean we aren't all stuck playing the same maps month after month.

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  2. Major D

Major D What's a Dremel?

deltamill of course!

and although not custom bring back de_dust ;-)

3. Weazle

Weazle Jason Bourne's love child

Yeah I don't mind having de_dust back in because the map times are now reduced.

A custom to consider is de_livehouse ... its a good horror/halloween themed map.

4. Ahleckz

Ahleckz What's a Dremel?

I third bringing back de_dust.

5. Kyser Soze

Kyser Soze played by Kevin Spacey

I ne plus ultra to the power of negative infinity (assuming implied cardinality of the real number set) vote to bring back dust also. By which I mean I vote against, with every fibre of my being, every erg of the incomprehensible einsteinian magnitude of my physical self, every gluon that binds the quarks of my being together, and should an indivisible soul exist, with every spark of the divine within me vote against this reprehensible and mendacious suggestion!

I have just come back from a stag night. The beer was excellent.

Unlike dust.

Which sucks bottom.

6. C4vey

C4vey What's a Dremel?

Noted, and I largely agree that dust is fairly poor, at least with the numbers we usually have on.

I'm planning to put all the less good official maps on for short spells, largely for a little more variety. How long depends on how people respond and how bad they are, so some might only be for a few days to remind people how good they have it, while others might be on for a couple of weeks at a stretch to challenge people a bit. Dust has been mentioned to me a few times, on and off the server, so it's in my mind to put it on for a while.
    If people want a map they haven't seen on the server for a while then post a reminder that it exists and I'm more likely to put it on.

I am a fan of deltamill, but I don't think we can really run it on the cycle. The map is very buggy, last time I put it on it was missing some textures, at least on my machine, and there are several points you can climb out of the map on your own or with help. It's also far too open for most people, who end up dead with no idea where from and that is really frustrating. I don't think any of the routes can handle a full 16 players at once either, so my memory is that it tends to end up being less coordinated than other maps.

This is a 17mb download, which is pretty big when we only play the maps for 15 minutes at a time. I'm just downloading it to have a look now though.
    edit: Ugh, no. The moving walls and effects just made me feel ill. I also think that while the ghosts and bloody walls and noises e.t.c. might be amusing the first couple of times they would get quite irritating after that. It's hard to get a feeling for the layout and things in the short time I managed on it, but it looked like it might be ok on that front, and make for some interesting routes and encounters, but it wasn't great; bare hallways, narrow doors and a bombsite with only one doorway and two small vents to enter through are among its flaws on that front. This might be one to roll out for halloween or something, but at 17mb I wouldn't bother.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  7. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

de_blast_ed (although I have already mentioned this to cavey!)

8. fu manchu

fu manchu I'll have the special.

Great map but not enough spawn points for 32 slot server iirc

9. C4vey

C4vey What's a Dremel?

Spawn points I can add, provided the buyzones are big enough. I have more or less figured out the mani extra spawns feature. There is the issue that a map designed for 10 or 20 players might not play well with 30, but we can't know that till we try.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  10. Canon

Canon Reformed

Kill Contra, gift us Tuscan.

11. C4vey

C4vey What's a Dremel?

Just had a look at this, and I like it. It has a few small problems; no minimap, a fondness for invisible walls, and only 10 spawns per team, but I think the buyzones are just big enough that I can add enough extra spawns, and the other issues aren't dealbreakers. I did see a version that has had a minimap and a few extra spawns added, so I will take a look at that.
    Definitely worth trying this out on the server when I have sorted some extra spawns for it.

Contra is out of the cycle, for now. I haven't got a clue why people dislike it so much. The only thing I've heard is that it "makes no sense", and you can say that about pretty much every map.
    Tuscan is on my list, but I'm not going to be introducing too many new custom maps into the cycle at once.

12. splatdeath

splatdeath What's a Dremel?

Rotterdam

13. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

Look at you all having a reasonable discussion about maps.

*sniffle*

14. Tuned#F_A_F

Tuned#F_A_F What's a Dremel?

<<< has given up asking for dust_pcg since he found out it's 24 spawns :'(

15. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

De_Corruption

De_dustycobble (I think thats what its called)

De_Alexandra2

De_cpl_fire

16. Major D

Major D What's a Dremel?

dustycobble? oh come on now stu, you are just making these up now aren't you?

17. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

:D!

Its pretty much cobble just with sand everywhere, the only real changes are:

1. No ladder or windows in mid!

2. Windows and a balcony for the terrorists at B

So essentially it makes B very very hard to defend for the CTs! So it could actually be ok!

18. Klixxy

Klixxy What's a Dremel?

Just to throw my two pence in.

de Dust 2_Night..

19. C4vey

C4vey What's a Dremel?

I am reluctant to put a custom version of an official map on the cycle, as they rarely improve much, if at all, on the original. However, de_dustycbble looks like an improvement on the layout at least; I dislike the dust theme, so I will try it out at some point and see how people react to it, but it's not high on my todo list. With de_dust2_night, I don't think it will add enough to justify having the custom rather than the official, plus it has a very annoying flickering light at CT spawn.

de_corruption looks very good, plenty of spawns, minimap, varied routes, 4mb download. My only concern is that CTs spawn quite a long way from bombsite B so it may turn out like A on de_tides, but it looks well-made enough that it probably won't. Definitely one to try out with more people.

de_alexandra2 seems good enough. Nothing outstanding about it, looks like a bog standard dust-themed map. I'll give it a shot at some point.

de_cpl_fire is, in my opinion, too big. However it is well made apart from that, so I will try it as well and see if people disagree.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2011
  20. Tuned#Stu

Tuned#Stu Rage Machine

I dislike de_cpl_fire alot however some people seem to like it so I thought I'd put it in for consideration.

That's fair enough.