1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Help to find mini touch-screen monitor

Discussion in 'Modding' started by AnG3L, 10 Apr 2011.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Hey guys I need your help! I need to find a small touch-screen monitor for my next mod.
    I think 7 inches will be nice, also 10 inches will be my limit. Please if you know any good companies send me some links and info! Thanks in advance! :thumb:

2. cchr

cchr Minimodder

check out the lilliput touchscreens bro, they are very popular and they are widely available:thumb:
    link

3. shomann

shomann Minimodder

Where do you plan on sticking it?

The Mimo monitors are driven from a single USB cable, making for some very flexible design options. If you are looking for a simple control surface or graphics, they are fine. If you want something with a higher quality or daylight readable, then these aren't it.

http://www.mimomonitors.com/

4. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

5. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Thanks guys for all the replies much appreciated!
    Well, the monitor will be modded with a pair of two custom made speakers and it will be
    attached on the case in a way that it will easily removed so the pc can be used with bigger monitor setup.
    I am also thinking on some regular monitor (non touch).
    If you have more info that would be awesome! Thanks again! :)

6. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Also I would prefer if the company is in Europe for tax free problems ya know! :)

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

8. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Might be a bit small for your requirements but i've been bringing some over from China for a year or so now.

They are 6x5.6"(4:3) 640x480 and are touch screen with USB interface and had some bezels made up so they can fit into three 5.25 drive bays.

I also have some widescreen 4.3"(16:9) 480x272 on their way which will fit into two 5.25 drive bays and although the picture quality is good, they aren't really practical for running Windows due to the actual size but the larger ones are fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. silent1313

silent1313 What's a Dremel?

Coolmiester, could you please share your source of the screen and approx. the cost. That screen looks amazing. I am very interested in the one in your you tube video. That screen would be the perfect solution to my headless home server, cause I would only need to use it during recovery and installations etc.

THANKS in advance!

10. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Yeah I am interested on that too buddy please PM some more info and where I can get it etc etc. Thanks!!!!

11. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

Yeah same here I might be very interested in that one. Atm I was planing to use a Lilliput screen for my project but it can't hurt to have more then one option to choose from.

12. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I'd also be interested in one

13. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Ooh me too! Looking for something that will fit inside two 5.25 bays for a mod that I'm planning.

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i'm looking for a usb touchscreen as well, though one that is ultrawide format like 2.39:1. it looked like it would have had a 10"-12" diagonal. so pretty close to the size of a keyboard. i was thinking it would be great as a control surface / virtual mixer. i saw one once in a pic somewhere on here, but haven't been able to find it again to see who makes it. anyone know?

15. stuartwood89

I'm looking that would fit within a 14cm x 9cm space. Would you happen to have something like that?

16. coolmiester

I have twelve of the larger ones and six of the smaller widescreen ones in transit from China which should be here within the week but i’d rather see how much i get hit at UK Customs before confirming a price.

The first few orders slipped straight through customs but the last two i got stung for quite a bit which added about 10 quid to each screen which is why i decided to reduce the quantity this time around so time will tell.

I’m also having some bezels made up in brushed alu so will post once i have those sorted so PM me if you’re interested.

17. stuartwood89

That sounds cool, do you have the dimensions (WxH) in centimetres for both LCD displays? I'll need to know if one would fit inside my HTPC case. I wouldn't need a bezel, as I'd be mounting it straight to the front fascia. Any information on the size of the controller board would also be great.

18. coolmiester

The larger 6x5.6"(4:3) 640x480 screen is:
    115mm x 87mm visible screen size
    126mm x 100mm overall size

The smaller 4.3"(16:9) 480x272 screen
    95mm x 54mm visible screen size
    105mm x 65mm control board size

Both come with 12v molex, USB interface for touch panel and VGA adaptor so are pretty much plug and play.

19. stuartwood89

Ahh thanks for checking :thumb:

Does the controller board you use have to be connected to the LCD panel that it comes with? I only ask because I want something to fill the space a little more, and I could possibly source my own panel.

EDIT:: Made a paper template for the visible screen size, and it actually looks to be perfect. The overall size though, I assume is the screen and the controller together, or the frame around the panel?

Last edited: 13 Apr 2011