1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Died in the line of duty

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by jondi_hanluc, 3 Apr 2011.

1. jondi_hanluc

jondi_hanluc Retired Folder

My GTX 450 :(
    The lights are on, but nobody's home, no display, won't fold.
    My first folding hardware failure, I won't be replacing it.

Last edited: 3 Apr 2011
  2. cdb

cdb No comment

Is it still in warranty? I didn't think they'd been out that long?

3. jondi_hanluc

Oh I didn't think about that, 4-5 months old I think, I'll look into it, thanks.

4. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

I've lost quite a few graphics cards to folding so you have my sympathy :waah:

Unfortunately Nvidia and its board partners simply don't use good enough components to allow the cards to 24x7 like proper workstation/server components can.

5. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

GPU's tend to suffer Folding death eventually, unlike CPU's - I lost a GTX 260 a couple of months ago.

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I haven't lost a single piece of hardware to folding yet. Also worth noting is that not a single card or CPU in any of my rigs has standard or stock cooling. Do you see the correlation? I do ;)

7. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My HD4870 has been chugging on nicely for nearly a year now, on full load, mostly 24/7. Should I be expecting a failure soon, or is it just made of tougher stuff than nvidia's cores? :eek:

8. Unicorn

Not sure, I don't fold on any ATI hardware mate. What I do know is that one of my dedicated dual GPU rigs with Nvidia 8800 GTX's in it has produced over 3500 units per card with a 575 (stock) to 725 (OC) MHz clock on AC coolers, the Q6600 CPU in that machine has returned close to 2000 SMP units as well, and it runs at 3.2GHz on a Swiftech LC block. It's really important to adequately cool dedicated folding hardware. That machine is the oldest in my farm and it's never given the slightest bit of hassle.

9. holzj17

holzj17 What's a Dremel?

here lies jondi_hanluc's gtx 450... he was a brave GPU. selflessly focussing on trying to cure the world of some of its imperfections. may he always be loved and remembered.
    [21 gun salute]

10. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

I've killed a fair few GPU's in my time and know its a pain but warranty has always covered them. The worst cards that used to die was the 8800 & 9800 GT's even when not overclocked they bloody died, I RMA'd about 5 of them with BFG!

The trick is (like any components really) to keep them as cold as you possibly can which I know is a pain because extra fans make a noise etc but I tend to keep all my GPU's under 60 degrees and in return I have had 9 x GTX260's and 3 x 9800 GX2's folding for over a year solid without any problems :)

11. Unicorn

I have to apologize, I forgot that I did lose a 9800 GT once, and also two boards in dedicated folding machines, but I think that was as much the motherboards fault in both cases as opposed to folding ;)

12. ArthurBuse

ArthurBuse CustomBitChimps member

I lost a motherboard once. There was a bang and staining around the voltage regulators. I folded on five other PCs at once with no other ill effects.

13. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Lost a 9800GT replaced under warranty though so all good :)

14. dunx

dunx ITX is where it's at !

Asus Maximus III Formula R.I.P.

Replaced with an Asus P6T6 WS and an i7 960 with 6 Gb of ram.

dunx

P.S. CPU is in an Gigabyte itx system now, running BOINC (AQUA) tasks...

15. paddi70

paddi70 What's a Dremel?

How can you tell if one is dieing? my scond 450 is not picking up client, and then enters sleeping mode, however it is detected one through windows, evga percision and gpuz??

Is it on its why to GPU heaven?

16. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

It could be thermal shutdown. What do you mean re not getting client then sleeping? sometimes mine will slepp if oc was too high and it got hot, but it DID get a WU first.

17. jondi_hanluc

Update, contacted Gigabyte's return dept, sent it off, got it back today repaired, have to say they were really good. Now at full POWAAA Captin!, just in time for the Chimps Challenge!
    .. and thanks again cdb, I was ready to cut my losses.

18. cdb

cdb No comment

Your welcome. Alot of people tend to forget about warranties.

19. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Have to say this has caused me to back off the OC on my card. Damn summer weather.:D

20. jondi_hanluc

I stopped OC'ing all my cards sometime ago, as well as the extra heat I found that they ate into the CPU ppd more as well, though I did gain overall, I felt it wasn't worth it.

I've also removed this repaired card as well, it was in a PC downstairs that already has a 450 in it. I use it as a media PC, so the fans need to be quiet, with two 450s together one card was hitting +70 degrees, now I have only one in there it's 57 degrees. Don't know it this is why it failed before but I'm not taking any chances.