1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bits Introducing The New Score System

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 14 Apr 2011.

1. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

Much like call of duty ranks

2. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

I'm all for this score system. It gives broader evaluation and a 4,6 that was a 5 can now be given a more accurately pontuation

3. nilesfoundglory

nilesfoundglory What's a Dremel?

Firstly: I can get along with 'Approved' and 'Recommended'. 'Premium Grade', 'Professional', and 'Extreme Ultra' are award names you stole from the marketing points on the side of a motherboard box (premium grade capacitors, professional layout design, extreme ultra overclocking). They're silly and arbitrary.

With that out of the way...

Numbers scores are also silly, and I see moving from the 'out of 10' system to a 'out of 100' as nothing but a side step. Really, all you're doing here is moving the decimal point over and balancing the weight of the points given to each marginally-quantifiable aspect of a product.

Speaking of which: Quit trying to quantify what is unquantifiable. How do you consistently quantify 'design'? It's an abstract and contextual idea. Your idea of terrible design could suit my needs and aesthetic just fine. Stop trying to put a number on it just to generate a score.

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

This all seems like fail, 0/1,000,000 from me, Ultra Extreme Fail-ness!

5. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

I'm all for the scale of 100%, and explaining the breakdown that goes into each score. This is an awesome improvement. I don't like the new awards or logo's however. They feel "cheap". I go to bit-tech for serious reviews(with some jokes), where you guys do a great job and take it seriously. The new awards seem like what some crappy marketing department would put on a crappy product to appeal to "gamers". The old recommended, and excellence awards looked professional(like your reviews are). If you want to add a new one for over the top products, thats cool, but I think these names and logos are selling the great work you do pretty short. Just look at the old award logos next to the new ones and see which ones look like they would be on a toy.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm just complaining about change, the new breakdown and percentage is great, but I would seriously consider going back to the old awards and logos, or do another redesign, the new ones are just not up to par with the content you create.

-Joe-

6. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Extreme or Ultra would have been enough. I don't think anything called 'Extreme Ultra' can live up to my expectations :D

7. NickCPC

NickCPC Minimodder

I don't think the new overall score image with the percentage in fits in with the award designs... in fact I would go as far to say that I think it's hideous; it looks like it's been strung together in paint. I'd prefer it to be revised over extreme ultra.

That said I'm glad the change to bit-tech has come, and it's a logical explanation too. Thumbs up for that.

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Hooray for more granularity and open weighting!

Should help clear up some of the confusion for those who don't actually read the article and just skip straight to the end and start asking why two different products can be marked 8/10 and only one gets Recommended.

9. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

The "Extreme Ultra" award reminded me of this:

Just the part at 3:18. :D

10. mute1

mute1 What's a Dremel?

The old scoring system was better. Now you'll get things like one game scoring 78% but another scoring 81% with the review reading like it wasn't quite as good a game as the other one.
    The old scoring guide was perfect, for games anyway.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Extreme-Ultra-awesome- CHEESECAKE

I love the branding personally.
    Can't people see they are pulling the piss out of all the xtreem products with x's and MAX added on to the end.

If everybody had the sense of humor a lot of you do in here (None) it would be a very boring world world to live in.

Last edited: 14 Apr 2011
  12. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Yes, different types of products will get different weightings. e.g. the Speed score for a CPU will be more heavily weighted than the Features score.

13. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I'm liking cheescake but if you want 2 words, how's about "Plays Crysis" ?

14. balatro2005

balatro2005 Minimodder

like everything except the extreme ultra award think the crazy but cool was bad enough at times. things change I guess

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:lol: Yeah that works too & really fits in with the legendary "does it" saying that always comes up :D:thumb:.

16. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

I certainly do. The last page justifies whether or not the filler is worth reading.
    The rating system is as good as any, I suppose.
    The award things are just fugly and rather stupid. Why have you chosen to sillify the awards for products that your readers are serious about?
    Whatever it is that you're smoking, I suggest you do not use it at work.

17. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

@frojoe +1

Agree completely.

18. metalgearhathaway

metalgearhathaway What's a Dremel?

Lolz at the comments....

Good scoring system I say, though its always explained via word in the reviews anyway, but if your in a hurry to buy or looking for a reason to read the review, this system will be useful, if its present on the first page of the review, that piece of advice is free btw :)

19. sWW

sWW Minimodder

For hardware I see the new system as great. However I don't think the largely subjective game scores can really be sensibly scored out of 100, it seems too finicky for my liking.

20. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I give this new score system a 82 of 100.
    Super hyper ultra mega funk-punk-hardcore cool

Tags: Add Tags