1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Belkin router keeps dropping connection?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by null_x86, 15 Apr 2011.

1. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Anyone have the F5D8235-4 v2000?

I have one, and it keeps dropping my internet connection (dsl). Already talked to tech, which said nothing should be causing it, but it still keeps dropping it like every 30 minutes or so. I seem to have the curse of somehow killing my routers and its about time that this one would start going on the fritz..

Im running Cat5 between the router, modem and my computer, so its not a WiFi issue with it (although it does have distance issues, even with it being Draft N).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i don't have one, but you might try giving ddwrt or openwrt a go on it. i believe they both have a firmware for it.
    if thats a no go and you have to replace you might consider getting a more robust router like a ubiquiti, soekris, or routerboard.

3. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

i looked up the router on both OpenWRT and DD-WRT and its still WIP/Unsupported. When I do replace it, its getting replaced with the Asus RT-N16 (since it comes OOTB with DD-WRT support, hell its advertised that it works with it). I just did a upgrade to the latest stock firmware and reset to factory defaults, so hopefully it will stay up for right now.

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i guess i can't fault you for not trying beta firmwares. you really should take a look at some of those i mentioned before settling for the asus. for example the ubuiquti airrouter is about half the cost, and can connect wifi at 100m with a strong signal. it also has more memory and processor. other models are more involved as you have to build them yourself much like a pc in some aspects, picking out specific wifi cards, which case etc...

5. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

yeah Ive seen it way back when, but its definitely something Ive been looking at.. only downside is they're pricey...

6. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I've always been a bit sceptical about Belkin routers, they've got a reputation for being a bit dodgy :worried: I run modified Cisco/Linksys routers with heatsinking, active cooling, antenna mods and DD-WRT firmware. My routers do not drop connections, ever. I'd say you're better off just changing the thing, your average Linksys WRT320N (my gigabit router of choice atm) isn't that expensive, and it's as easy as peas to put DD- WRT on it.

Or the Asus, which looks equally good and I had never heard of before now :)