1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp Sketchup Components Collection (SCC) Discussion

Discussion in 'Modding' started by jezmck, 25 Nov 2003.

1. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Hi, I'm new to the bit-tech forums (this is my first post) and new to Sketchup, but I have a few models uploaded here which may be of interest; if you'd like to add any to the collection you're welcome to do so.

The best model to date is probably my Dark Knight cooler. I'm still a beginner when it comes to 3D modelling so my models aren't perfect, but I've done my best to make them as accurate as possible. Any comments or constructive criticism regarding my models is most welcome.

I'm currently working on a custom case, but once the design is complete I'm sure I'll upload a few more components.

Cheers,

Woody

2. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

3. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Hi jezmck, thanks for the compliment.

I've submitted eight of the nine models I currently have in the 3D warehouse to the collection via the link you provided.

Glad I can contribute to the collection.

Paul

4. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Hello Woody! Nice models and thanks for the contribution to the jezmck collection. :clap: Hope you hang around and show off some more :rock::thumb:

5. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Thanks Loose, will do. I need to have a mess around with projected textures. I had a brief experiment with a keyboard I'd started work on but it didn't work. Obviously I was doing something wrong. As soon as I get the time I'll go back to it and hopefully get a few more models done.

6. ianclowe4c

ianclowe4c What's a Dremel?

I am looking for a sketchup drawing of the following items:
    Lian-Li V354B Micro Atx Case
    MSI X58M or MSI H55M-ED55 Micro Atx Motherboard
    and good EK blocks. I have found many but none really seem to fit what I am looking for.

I am quite proficient in AutoCAD but I have never used Sketchup before. I suppose i could make these items in AutoCAD and do a whole mockup of my design in autocad but i was peferring to use solidworks if possible.

Regards,
    ianclowe4c (Ian)

7. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

8. novaris

novaris What's a Dremel?

is there a sketchup model of the mac pro's logic/backplane board around?

I just need the position of the mounting holes as reference.

mac pro sketchup models seem to use low res pictures to stand in for the interior views...

9. asura

asura jack of all trades

Razer was asking just a little while ago. I'm afraid not; no one who own's one seems willing to crack it open and take a pair of callipers to their beautiful piece of aluminium, silicone, solder, and pcb.

10. silent1313

silent1313 What's a Dremel?

I unfortunately have no models to upload. But I was wondering if some of the more proficient modelers here would be willing to do a screen capture videos of what they are doing while modeling. Like ianclow4c I am comfortable in cad or even more so ugnx7 but in sketchup there is no mating constraints or conditions. I have tried to use groups with little success(even after the sketchup tutorials). Pretty much I start drawing a box for the entire case and then I pull, push and modify from there till i get about halfway through and some line intersects another and mysteriously half of my model is missing. Are most of these models in this fourm exactly accurate ie. the posters are using a caliper to measure then drafting it, or are these models from pictures and then scaled to size. What i am proposing is that some of the posters in this thread do some screen capture videos of their modeling to help us novices hit the ground running using good techniques. I believe this would benefit the scc.jezmckean.com librarys as well as the sketchup forums here on bit-tech.

11. Tipchic

Tipchic ***

Excuse if it offtopic.
    Where i can get rear shield spec? (chassis)
    And mechanical spec for PCI-E, DIMM, SATA connector.
    Want to known location of PCI-E too.

Thanks!

12. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

13. asura

asura jack of all trades

I can't comment for all the models, but I've found they're generally quite accurate, there are a few glaring exceptions, which usually make themselves instantly apparent - being several times too large - and a few more subtle exceptions which are off by only a few percent.

Further to that, I try to include in my comments a guide to the accuracy that I've been working to. and I don't like working from pictures, only did it once for a competition model, it's just not good practice.

14. Tipchic

Tipchic ***

Only I/O shield here... .
    I am in need of expansion slots dimensions and location.
    And location PCI-E at the mobo.

Thanks... but i need a spec...
    People sketched many different mobo... without official spec?

15. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

There's some good info sprinkled throughout this thread.

16. ianclowe4c

ianclowe4c What's a Dremel?

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good Silverstone FT-02 model around anywhere. It does not have to be sketchup. It could be autocad, sketchup or solidworks...Please help. I have finally oh finally decided on a case and it is a little hard to find out if everything will fit without trying to plan ahead. Thanks to all of you out there who help us laymen people...

Regards,
    ianclowe4c (Ian)

17. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

Hi Ian. I don't know of any models off the top of my head but if all you need is dimensions to check component compatibility then you can get what you need from the case's manual. It's available for download here.

Basically the main internal dimensions given are as follows:

Max Cooler Height: 165mm
    Max PSU Length: 230mm
    Max GPU Length: 305mm

I think people sometimes remove the grill from the middle fan to get an exta half inch or so for the GPU, but 12" should be fine for most cards anyway. The reference 580, for example, is only 10.5" (267mm) long.

Hope that helps,

Paul

18. Tipchic

Tipchic ***

Interesting thread... .
    But i am not sure that dimensions are true.
    Because manufacturer had some errors. (error 1)
    Human, who measured case had errors. (error 2)
    Vernier calliper or other tools had errors... . (error 3)
    Error 1+ error 2+ error 3 + my error = not precession part... .
    So... without official spec... difficult to create full custom case... .

19. Re-Evolution

Re-Evolution What's a Dremel?

PCIe slot mechanical drawing

Location based off of datum (center of hole) and pin 1 of each slot, ATX form factor and 7 slots.
    [​IMG]

20. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Finally got around to submitting some of my stuff today. My models aren't super-detailed like some peoples' here are - textures in place of knurling/threading for example, and lots of smaller details approximated/missing etc. Perfectly fine for planning and casual presentation though.

One thing a lot of people will probably find useful are the models I made of blank motherboards (ATX, MATX, mini-ITX, HPTX) with all the mounting hole locations, PCIe slots and IO cutout, along with blank PCIe cards in various sizes. All the dimensions are from the official specifications (except HPTX, but I believe they are accurate; see this thread), and the PCIe cards should be positioned correctly relative to the PCIe slots/motherboards. This should be useful for planning or for using as a base for building detailed models of boards/cards.

Here's a preview:
    [​IMG]

You can grab it here for the time being, until jezmck puts it up on the SCC.

Cuzza and asura like this.