1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Portal 2...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Pookeyhead, 10 Apr 2011.

1. techb

techb What's a Dremel?

i'm not buying , its way too expensive for me

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

it's cheaper than 95% of high profile games that come out these days

not sure what you're complaining about

3. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Some poeple are never happy. If you don't want anything to do with the ARG then don't have anything to do with it. No one is forcing you to do anything. It's just a bit of fun from IMO the best games developer out there, I mean what other developer would put so much effort into something like this? You're not losing anything, you're getting a game released early. Just chillax and have enjoy the ride.

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Am I the only one not buying Portal 2 because I can't afford the £27/£30 asking price? I've never paid more than £20 for a game before, mainly because I buy them in packs or sales.

5. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

I consider £30 to be cheap, given the price of console games.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I'm sure 45€ is probably a fair price for portal 2... however I'm sure it will be on sale soon and probably be sold for 10-15€ at the next christmas sale. So I'm not buying it for full price now.

7. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Much as I absolutely adore Portal the sad fact is I can't afford it right now. Especially because we all know how amazing the Steam sales are and I know it'll end up silly cheap sooner rather than later. I just hope by the time I get it people are still playing it. The 360 version is on my LoveFilms rental list so hopefully that'll turn up one day too.

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

18 potatoes! woohoo

9. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Virtually four games finished. Shweet.

Heck, I need this game. My recent speedrun of Portal was 0.9 hours (According to the Steam stats). I'm getting far too fast at the original for my own good.

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Same, you know their's going to be a sale just around the corner if not on Steam then retail from one of the e-tailers.

I would prefer it on disk, 10 minutes to install versus god knows how many hours on my internet to download/install.

Then everyone who paid full price will be moaning on the Steam forums how they feel conned, etc.

11. tennisball

tennisball [Insert witty comment here]

Meanwhile, at valve

12. 985323

985323 I am Jack's smirking revenge

13. PhoenixTank

PhoenixTank From The Ashes

While I'm enjoying the ARG stuff (loosely following it, mind) I'm sad to see that Portal 2 has already leaked to P2P networks for 360/PS3.
    Of course, I want to play it now... but I will have to be patient a little longer it seems.

14. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Uh, oops? :D Looks like a best buy.... *hops over to BB*

15. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Got to say I'm terribly disappointed with all this early release ARG. Spent several hours trying to help get portal 2 released early so I could play on the weekend, and it seems it'll come out ~9am tomorrow, less than a day early and frankly no different to those of us that work. ~09:00 - 18:00 makes no difference at all to most Brits.

I wonder if they expected more people to take part. Having said that I did pick up and gift a lot of potato sack games so I did get a feel good factor from helping Indy devs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: 18 Apr 2011
  16. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

And that's in $?! Goddamit, they've done the $ = € trick again out here in Belgium. :grr:

Bah, it's not like P2 will run on my pc anyway... *depressed
    Will pick it up when it's cheaper.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    This is one time where I cant complain about the Steam price, 34,19€ (with the -10%).

18. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

This.

The CPU counter at GlaDOS@home indicates that when the community targets one game, it's population increases by about 3K users, we can roughly assume that this is about the number of people in the community willing to idle their systems.

Killing Floor acts as a base line for what they expected, it has the highest user population and thus highest goal. The community has never targeted this game and as a result it's player population has been relatively constant at around 4K players ever since the competition began 65 hours ago. The result is that it's bar has filled up half way. By doing some math, it works out that their highest expectation was about 500,000 CPU/hours for Killing Floor along to be completed.

For those 3K ARG users, 500K hours is simply no doable, it would take 166 hours at that rate. But if the user population consisted of 50,000 ARG users, we would have been done in a day with most of these games.

Now, how many people pre-ordered Portal 2? Valve is unusually reluctant to release the sell figures for their games, but so far, their worst selling product, HLBS was still just under a million units and the L4D franchise has close to 100M units. If this is any indication, there should be over a million people waiting for Portal 2. Even assuming that only a 10% own a given game, we should have seen a hundred thousand ARG users. At this rate, it would have only taken 5 hours of consecutive play to complete a game like Killing Floor.

One objection that I do have with this promotion though is that they did not put the emphasis on the right games. The only game that I recognize as being multiplayer there is KF and it's community is not dying in any way. Games like Bloody Good Time and Shattered Horizon would have been much better since their multiplayer communities are in desperate need of life support and this would have been incredibly useful for bringing in new blood.*

*Much bias in this regard as I regard both games as being fun.

Last edited: 18 Apr 2011
  19. gilljoy

gilljoy Minimodder

So tempted to buy this but still got some of my backlog to work threw

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the problem with KF is that the rate of increase for that game's bar is based upon player playing divided by total steam account that owns the game. KF has a huge player base, hence the slow speed the bar would increase.

another problem is that people are not joining this G@H activity. only around 700 on the G@H coordination steam group (CPUC) are idling their game. that is a tiny number compared to the amount of people preordered Portal 2.

i've been idling (on main desktop during day, netbook during night and today) targeted games since Friday. so it's really a shame to see this only cause Portal 2 to be released after 8am Tuesday, meaningless to most working class people. :(