1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

/shrug, it's been like that with almost every FPS and every game in the BF series.

It's not supposed to be a mil sim.

Maybe they'll implement in HC mode if you ask nicely enough though.

2. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Um, no it hasn't; only BFBC/2 has ever used it.

3. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

The tank clip with artillery strikes and cockpit view were AWESOME :rock:

Moar plx :D

4. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Whoops, i forgot that they used a clip system rather than an ammo counter. Haven't played them for so long and never really had any issues in BF2142 so assumed it was the same.

But like i said, unless they're going to drastically reduce the amount of ammo you get when you spawn (to like 2-3 clips) then i don't think it'll make a difference. Not with amount of Assault and Ammo boxes that get spammed around.

5. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Wow, **** the bed, that looks awesome, sold, gimme, nao!

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

QFT:thumb:

Sam

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well the tvtropes page explains the advantages and disadvantages pretty well but I always thought BF was slow-paced enough to do it properly. BF is as realistic as non mil-sims get so you'd have thought they'd keep it in.

If it works well I don't mind though.

8. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

How can you tell it's "1 bullet magazines"? The player had unlimited ammo...

That is still just an amazing video. The only thing I noticed was that the ammo belt of the mounted .50 MG doesn't move when fired, but this is pre-alpha, so I don't think I can get flustered over something as mindlessly trivial like that :D

9. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

Christ almighty

Just watched the 12 minute video. Phenomenal, just phenomenal. Wonder what kind of hardware its running on. I like the way DICE is going balls out technically then scaling it down for consoles rather than comprimising the PC version for the sake of the consoles.

For the record I have a PS3 and love it to bits:D

Eddie

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

apparently a single 580, though I kind of doubt it to be honest. The thing is, in a video, you can't see how sluggish 30fps is. That's why I don't expect it to look nearly as good as this when I will be playing it despite my quite capable computer

Last edited: 17 Apr 2011
  11. eddieuk1983

eddieuk1983 What's a Dremel?

If it is indeed running on a single 580 then it bodes well for us PC gamers. A single 580, whilst expensive is at least on the market now and isn't some future graphics architrcture that hasnt been released yet.

Hopefully my 560ti should be able to run the game at reasonable detail levels. One thing I do know, is that my card will be running with its two fans screaming which are so loud its actually comical:wallbash:

Regards

Eddie

12. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I reckon DICE have borrowed the Shift 2 in vehicle camera tech...

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

GASP SHOCK HORROR

God awesome. Source

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

if you are in a team with no teamwork, i doubt it'll be any good, since the medic won't get any points for dragging someone to safety. all anyone care about is points these days.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Sorry to bring up the old topic, must not have noticed it being discussed at the time: The difference between ammo systems is tremendous! Losing ammo left in old magazines totally changes how players reload and adds some much needed difference in weapons which BFBC2 lacks partly as a result of its change in ammo system.

-In a firefight it makes a player have to consider whether they think they can make it with their remaining ammo, what will happen if it's not enough and they suddenly need to reload at a less opportune moment, and what effect reloading early will have on their total available.

-Those two or three pot shots aren't such a good idea anymore. You either have to waste a large amount of ammo to be at full readiness again, or deal with being a little short of a full magazine. The player really has to consider what's worth it. This is particularly important for snipers, taking too many uncertain shots can quickly leave you without enough in your magazine for when you really need it.

-Greater variation in weapons is added. The difference between assault rifles and LMGs in particular is greater. Your typical AR will have 3-4 extra magazines and reloading even at half full will only lose about 15 rounds, it becomes much more flexible compared to an LMG which can waste 50 or more rounds reloading at half full and usually only has one extra magazine. Even between the same class of weapon how many magazines you can hold becomes a far more important aspect in what fits your needs and playstyle.

-Ammo crates become more important. No longer are they just things to worry about when you're running low, they're freedom to reload more frequently. In particular, having a squad mate around who can resupply at all times lets the whole squad be running at 100% at all times.

16. Ronaldo 9

Ronaldo 9 Minimodder

Wow that sounds ..... new. Well to me anyways. I haven't been keeping up with this game but that sounds like a nice effect. I am totally OCD for reloading so from now on I gott watch it.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Usually in a battlefield game I would run my mags dry before reloading, unless I knew I was running into something a little more intense up ahead. Things like Modern Warfare, I would reload more frequently (dependant upon weapon) as I almost always had scavenger on.

Having the more realistic magazine mechanics would be a nice touch. I think Project Reality had that actually.

18. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

TBH - The ammo clip thing is one of the first things I try to establish in most shooters. I have played one or two (or were those mods?) in my time where clips were implemented properly.

As for BF3 - it looks blooming AMAZING!

19. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Min specs and recommend spec look good.
    Recommended System Requirements

Processor: Quadcore Processor
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard Drive: 15 GB for Digital Version, 10 GB for Disc Version
    Video Memory: 512 MB
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible
    DirectX: 11
    Keyboard and Mouse