1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Specific backup solution

Discussion in 'Software' started by shifty27, 19 Apr 2011.

1. shifty27

shifty27 What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

Ive used the search but nothing ive found seems specific to my answer.

Im looking for a piece of backup software to back up my samsung f4 2tb to my other f4 2tb

BUT i dont want the backup to be an image (ive used acronis) and in file backup it creates an image and not copying in file format

Basically i just want the exact as my original data on the back up drive but in files and folders like i have the original.

I know i can just copy and paste using teracopy every week and skip all existing files for a semi incremental solution but would like a piece of software to do it...

Thanks

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

3. shifty27

I will try this software tonight and see if it works, thanks for the reply:thumb:

4. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

easus todo back up is another option.

5. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Microsoft SyncToy, which you can schedule through Windows Task Scehduler

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I use ViseVersa, which someone here recommended to me a long while ago now. Don't late the 1990s website fool you, it's a very accomplished app that has never ever let me down.

It aint that cheap though.

http://www.tgrmn.com/

7. shifty27

I tried this.... Maybe I didn't use it correctly but it was creating an image of the drive and not copying the files instead...

8. shifty27

At the minute I'm using the free version, which as far as i'm aware only lets you process 40,000 files every 30 days, so If it fails to syncronize all my 200,000 files I will get the pro version and go from there.

The Vice Versa software looks exactly what I need if I don't like the pro version of Allway Sync.

Thanks for the suggestions every1

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  9. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Use the built-in copy of Microsoft Robocopy on your Windows 7 installation - type robocopy /? from the command prompt for instructions.

Hint - the /mir switch is very useful.

10. IvanIvanovich

yeah theres so much going on in that program its a little confusing to pick the right option. you need to go through the files and folders option. then you can pick the root of your disk, then you'll pick the destination.
    otherwise the other options will do images.

11. shifty27

Will have a look at this because I still have acrnois installed.

As for the Robocop suggestion it's too user un-friendly for an ongoing weekly backup :)

Thanks for all the suggestions will be deciding probs tomo my definite program and will give feedback here.

12. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

This is my daily backup script for my work laptop that I have in a batch file sitting on my desktop:

robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /PURGE /V /R:10 /W:30 /NFL /NDL /TEE /LOG:<destination>

This backs up a hard drive folder structure to an encrypted USB key - my own source/destination names removed to avoid confusion.

The combination of the /MIR and the /PURGE switches means that not only does it mirror what is in my local folders (with directory structure), it purges the destination of any data I have deleted from my laptop since the last backup.

The /V switch means that it produces verbose output (to console and log), including skipped files. The /R switch means to retry a copy of any file it finds is locked, up to 10 times. The /W switch means to wait 30 seconds between each retry.

The /NFL switch means that it does not log file names and the /NDL switch means that it doesn't log directory names. The /TEE switch means that it outputs to a console window as well as a log file and the /LOG:<destination> tells it where to put the log file.

Simples and free.

13. shifty27

Thanks for the suggestion above but I was looking for a peice of software to handle the mirroring and keep me informed with a log and keep a schedule!

I have found the most perfect bit of software for my needs!

Syncback

I found it with a 5/5 star review on CNet here: http://download.cnet.com/SyncBack-Freeware/3000-2242_4-10413802.html

It does everything I need. Right now I have set up a mirror every night at 8PM. and it pops a log up everytime the backup/sync has complete. I chose the Advanced Mode rather than Simple to configure it for my needs.

Thanks for all your replies. If anyone else needs a piece of mirroring software for a complete backup this is the one! I have 2 x 2TB Samsung F4's and this software is keeping them mirrored in case one fails in the future.

Once again thanks for all your suggestions and quick replies.

EDIT: WHY I WANTED A SYNC PROGRAM AND NOT A BACKUP PROGRAM (ACRONIS):

- I dont have any software running of the drives they only have media (Videos, Music, Photo's etc). Therefore if one fails I want to be able to keep using the drive without having to do any "recovering" or "restoring" from an image.

- If a drive fails in the future I can send it back to the retailer and keep using the other one. When the new one comes, for the first ever copy I will use "teracopy" - google it, to copy my files over as quickly as possible then using quick sync again.

Hope this helps and thanks for all your helpful posts!

Last edited: 26 Apr 2011
    Fingers66 likes this.
  14. IvanIvanovich

i forgot all about that one... it does do a fair job without a lot of fuss.

15. shifty27

Just added more text to my last post... read if interested.