1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Project] :::Mil-Spec::: (SNiiPE's Optimal Enclosure) - 4/29 Bottom Chassis

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by SNiiPE_DoGG, 30 Mar 2011.

1. SNiiPE_DoGG

SNiiPE_DoGG Engineering The Extreme

A big thanks to Combatus for getting this thread moved over for me! for all you guys who were following in the other section you can take note that the thread is now in Project Logs

So as not to show up empty handed, here is a picture of the reservoir cut and milled down to size :) its a rough cut considering I used the two flute center cutting bit to square it. I have a six flute finishing bit on the way to me now. The Alu its sitting on is the cut and filed piece that will be bent into the PSU cover.

[​IMG]

2. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Hey brother whats up.

3. SNiiPE_DoGG

4. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Paranoid?
    Im just seeing what your doing, its been awhile since Flow.

5. SNiiPE_DoGG

Just teasing, :D

yeah it has been a while since Flow, been more focused on my social and school life than my hobbies.

6. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Great start with a well thought-out plan! I hardly ever visit the planning threads, so I didn't see this until now. Glad to see you back at it. :thumb:

7. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I really love the general design of the case, it looks like it'll have a fantastic unique layout.
    Definitely looking forward to seeing this project fabricate.

Is anything going to go in the fairly large space under the motherboard tray or is that just so you have lots of room for cables and other bits?

8. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hey, you make it sound like it's a bad thing to focus on your social life instead of burying yourself in your hobbies? ;)

No, seriously - welcome back. I subbed and is looking forward to the compo between you and Attila for MOTY (although he says he won't make it, but I think he's just lying to get a good head start) :D

Oh, and on another and not so serious note: this time, remember to make nice holes and remove all stickers that have barcodes. :D:D:D

9. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Been a loooooong while since Flow. Looking forward to seeing this come together.

10. SNiiPE_DoGG

Thanks Bod, I knew that section didn't get much attention, I originally put the thread there because I thought I would be planning for a lot longer, but then I saw the calendar and realized I have almost no time left at school to use the machine shop!

Thanks!

The space under the tray will play into the modularity of the system. The SSD's will be installed on the underside and the wiring will be done in sections with the tray-to-board wiring separate from the PSU-to-tray wiring. (if that makes any sense haha)

I'm happy I did what I did, but with so much free time coming up while I go on a 6-month co-op I had to get back into modding ;)

We'll see how this turns out, my goal is to finish the system by the late summer/fall so I can take it to the Intel Noreaster Lanfest like I did with Flow. As it stands now my mod isn't anywhere near where Attila's current mod is progress wise so I wouldn't be surprised if he finished his this year. I've got catching up to do!

I don't take MDPC seriously anymore since some of the latest builds that have been put on there, its more of a marketing ploy for the sleeving than a mark of the best PC's (obviously Cygnus X1 is an exception but you know what I mean ;)) Regardless, I will be making this machine flawless in every way that I can, because the MOTY competition is no joke.

Cheers W34513! it's coming along I promise, just no very interesting pictures to show at the time!

11. SNiiPE_DoGG

Reservoir Milling!

Hey guys,

Sorry it's been a while since my last update, but I come bearing a nice hefty update.

I started milling the interior of the reservoir yesterday and it tooks me all 3 hours of open shop to get to here:

[​IMG]

Took a ton of time to remove all that material, but it made today in the shop much more interesting than a plain square hole. I started milling the rear section at the full width:

[​IMG]

I proceeded to take the height down at .3" at a time:

[​IMG]

Then I milled the lower depth section out at the end of the reservoir that dips

[​IMG]

Here I am starting the front section at full width

[​IMG]

Completed Reservoir interior:

[​IMG]

Milling the Section off the bottom of the res (sorry, phone camera isn't the best)

[​IMG]

Used a six flute end mill to finish every face of the reservoir, nice and smooth with such a sharp brand new mill.

[​IMG]

Holy Shavings! thats a size 11.5 foot in there for reference, and that pile was only day 2's worth of chips!

[​IMG]

So I know those pictures were of low quality, but unfortunately I didnt bring my camera to the machine shop. Here is a set of better pictures I took once the I got back home and washed the res. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as the case construction goes, I have been working hard at filing and preparing the panels for the bending brake and to begin construction, expect another update sometime this weekend! :rock:

12. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

Very nice.

You're lucky to have nice sharp tools at your shop lol, everybody at my school beats the crap out of the bits and tools.

13. SNiiPE_DoGG

Oh, they do that at my school too, I had to buy all my own tooling ;)

14. W34513

W34513 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I need to get some of my own tools, but the lack of funding is holding me back :hehe:

15. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Looking awesome!!!

16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Great work, and it'll be good to see another mod come from you.

Too bad you couldn't make it in time for the CM contest. After I (hopefully) win it, it'll be it from me for a good while, so I won't get the chance to compete with you again for a long time...

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

awesome another sniipe_dog build! going to be an exciting month :D

18. StonieX

StonieX What's a Dremel?

Nice concept and very nice work on the res SNiiPE_DoGG!!! Can´t wait how the next steps are coming out.

btw. nice to see another modder working with solid works :rock:

19. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

This is a fantastic job there bro! Is there a chance to see that milling machine in action? Is it manual? LoL sorry for my ignorance bro or if you mentioned it before! :) Mod on!

20. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Its all I use...