1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Power mac g5 case mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by crazy95, 21 Apr 2011.

1. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

As the title suggest its a g5 case mod

I plan on having a micro atx mobo eg rampage 3 gene with a 6 core i7 or socket 2011. A pair of 570's if not something faster. paint it in black and have red leds

There are thing i need help with. firstly the psu as there is no ideal place so anyone with a g5 mod place tell me what you did.

Secondly i want it to be fully water cooled. so any ideas for how and where to mount would be appreciated.

my budget is around £1500 and i have the g5 case already

2. Genghis

Genghis What's a Dremel?

for watercooling, i think you will must place it outside of the case for rad and reservoir.

in case of you throw the in-case boxing of the G5 case, you can maybe place all the watercooling inside

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I had the same issue, but you can take out the internals of the power supply and put it in the existing G5 power supply, or you can do as I did.

I just made another compartment at the bottom of the case with a PSU bracket in. I made an extension for the power cord, and fastened it at the back of the case at the existing hole, and plugged it into the PSU. If your PSU has the intake fan on the back, and not on the top, like mine, you might have an issue with the cables in there blocking the airflow, but mine works well. just cut a vent if your fan is like mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. crazy95

crazy95 What's a Dremel?

razer2007
    how did you mount the mobo eg tray

5. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I have a separate mobo back panel mounted on, and then a 2mm panel on the case's side panel, which is the one where the cable come out. it's bended. I mounted the 2mm sheet on the side panel of the case, and fastened it to the two compartment dividers I have. on the 2mm panel I mounted a 3mm (I think) piece of plexi with standoffs in for the motherboard, all aligned correctly.

do you understand? I know it's confusing. It drove me crazy when I had to do it.