1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam I couldn't afford to buy Portal 2...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Oggyb, 19 Apr 2011.

1. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get my hands on Portal2 but there will be a Steam sale in a few months and I'm pretty certain I have enough to keep me occupied until then...

2. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

As i dont believe that the game demands such a high price for what it is.

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

What you percieve it to be, you mean. Volund's got a point, if you haven't played it then you can't say definitively what the game is. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just about every planned purchase has some level of guessing what you'll be getting and what it's worth.

I do have to say, though, that Portal 2 is nothing like Portal 1 in terms of content if that's what you're thinking. It's a night and day transformation into a full-fledged game worthy of the same cost as any other full-fledged game.

4. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I kinda gathered that :hehe:, I was just wondering if you had any specific reasons based on what you read or just assumptions based on the first game.

5. Pieface

Pieface Modder

That's the complete opposite from what I've been hearing really.

6. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

I may just be getting grumpy at this point, but I could easily ignore playing this game forever out of spite and annoyance at the absolute barrage of talk it has been receiving on the internet. /r/gaming has been flooded with obsessive fan boys for nearly two weeks now, and the constant "DON'T SPOIL PORTAL 2" threads are grating on my nerves. I get that people are excited, but there is a point where it goes too far: the level of hype that developed was several points beyond that.

Portal 1 was fine, but I didn't think it was all that incredible and certainly not the best game ever made as GamesRadar seems to think. Not even close. I'm sure this will be dirt cheap for the summer or christmas sale. I can wait.

Edit: Also, with the spare copy stuff: If you managed to get all 36 (32?) potatoes and get the golden potato during the ARG Valve gifted you a bunch of game codes. Including Portal 2. I think you get the Valve Complete Pack, but I saw people receiving codes for other things as well.

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  7. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Bitching about the latest game is the new black. PC Gamers (of which I'm one) seem to have some major entitlement disorder of late, and seem incapable of enjoying ANYTHING no matter how good it is, and seem to be on a self destructive cycle of simply slagging everything off, sometimes without reason.

Portal 2 is an awesome game, with a good 6-7 hours of play first play through, excellent writing, brilliant voice acting, a whole raft of extra puzzle mechanics, interesting tie in with the Half Life Universe and awesome co-op, some of the most fun co-op I've had on the PC in the last couple of years.

Worth every penny of the £27 I paid for it, in fact I'd pay double that for this experience. If people cannot afford to get it due to being unemployed I can understand that it suggests they have their priorities right, but otherwise there is no way that the game isn't worth the admission fee.

In terms of length its more like 6-8 hours, but then I did spend a little time soaking up the wonderful atmosphere and finding a few hidden bits and bobs, plus its about the same for the co-op. so lets be conservative and call it 12 hours assuming you don't ever play through again (although I played the original about 3-4 times over the years). £2.25 per hour doesn't seem like poor value to me.

8. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

For those who can't afford Portal 2:

1. Buy Portal 2 on PS3 - includes free Steam copy of game
    2. register free Steam copy
    3. Computer Exchange/eBay/GameStation
    4. ???
    5. Profit!

azrael- likes this.
  9. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Brilliant idea! :D

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Doesn't this require you needing to link your playstation account with your steam account, presumably requiring you to actually have a PS3?

That's the gist of what I just read anyways as it seemed like a good idea.

11. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Oh, I'm not actually sure. I sorta suspected there'd be a catch.

12. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

I'm playing through the original Portal for the first time, didn't realise it was this much fun.

13. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I did that. Except I cheated. Bought on walmart.com, free $20 gift card, it shipped and is in transit, bought night it came out in store, opened/played that copy on PS3/steam, when other copy comes in will return it with the other receipt for the copy bought on 0-day. Mwhahaha!! :lol:

Now to debate the fact I could hock the PS3 version off since I have a Steam copy... hmmm...

14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Well a mix of both really, the 2nd game content wise is very limited, how valve can a large amount of dlc content up on the first day, does ask the question why it didnt make it into the game for the pc players.
    Once people start adding there own levels then the game will be alot better, however i feel that the game at current is more a feeling of a console port and we the pc gamers are paying for a console price tag.

15. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Depends on what's considered a full fledged game. Kane & Lynch 2 was a full priced title with 3 hours of singleplayer.

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Oh dear, it sounds like you've been listening to the butthurt brigade on the Steam forums and Metacritic :rolleyes: :sigh:

Seriously, the game is clearly not a console port, and the DLC is just hats and other non-essential fluff that is of no imprtance whatsoever. It makes no difference if you own it or not, so it's not like they've held back content from the final game and released it as DLC like some other developers do. As for content, there's at least 4 or 5 times the content of the original Portal, and just as much as any other AAA game released on PC.

17. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

This has absolutely ZERO effect on the game, the DLC is just extra hats (which I've never understood).
    :wallbash:

How can you say this without playing the game?! This leads me to believe that most who say this are basing this on a weird hunch they have rather than playing the game.

Still, I think waiting for it to drop in price is wise. Definitely pick it up when it does!

18. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

While it's true that the DLC is entirely optional, it is also pretty much everything that is wrong with the current direction of the gaming market, and it is disturbing that Valve would do something so "casual" market oriented. Micro-transactions are absolutely not the future, as far as I am concerned.

19. Oggyb

Oggyb Mutant

Update:

BIRTHDAY PRESENT!!!!!11111ONE!

I shall be playing this tonight.

I hadn't heard about the DLC until someone mentioned it on twitter today. I was a little peeved at first thinking "well this is obviously taking a leaf out of the COD/etc. playbook", but if it's just Team Fortress-style cosmetics then I don't see the problem. It's not like I'm ever going to buy a hat for my robot buddy. . .

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Happy portalling (is this even a word?)! :thumb:

I'll bide my time. Hopefully I'll get it cheap in a STEAM sale sometime soon. Or explore another avenue apart from getting it on STEAM.

BTW, what's that about putting a trailer for Super 8 into the game? That's just plain daft...