1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Help with setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Strudul, 18 Apr 2011.

1. Strudul

Strudul ~

How necessary is a beefier rad? It is only a single GTX480 and a X4 955 in the loop.

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

But that 480 kicks out more heat than my CPU and 5870 does... at £44 I wouldn't be expecting great things from that rad...

3. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

Although push/pull does yield some benefits, bear in mind that sound pressure increase is not linear, is logarithmic. And fan noise "stacks up". In other words, the more fans, the exponentially higher sound pressure. Besides, the real benefit of push/pull is seen when fans counter-rotate (that is when one fan spins clockwise and the other counterclockwise), if both fans spin on the same direction 2 fans doesn't mean twice the static pressure and airflow. More line <= x1.5. And you're more likely to find a rocking horse cr@p than you're to find a counter-rotating 12V fan :p

I know that sometimes it boils down to budget and space constraints, but I sincerely believe you're short on rad surface. And x2 the fans are just going to make it more noisy, but not sufficient.

I like your choice of fans for your choice of rad though.

I haven't used XSPC blocks since my 4870 x2, but I had no complains about that one... They tend to favour casting over machining and fitting the water channels on the delrin rather than on the copper plate to keep costs down (or that's what they used to do anyway) but in my experience when it comes to GPUs where your OC is severely limited by the power circuit implementation 8-10C makes no difference whatsoever on your max OC. And with 1 year turnaround on computer parts longevity doesn't even come into the equation :p

All in all I like your choices, except as I said I believe you're short on radiator surface. And as I said a couple of posts back I hate compression fittings. With a passion.

4. Strudul

Strudul ~

Wow you write a lot.

Right.... Do you think I want a bigger rad or a better one? Should I upgrade to a 120.4 or to a higher quality 120.3?
    And do you think I just want fans on one side of the rad then?
    And would I want them in push or pull?

I did not understand half the stuff you said about the water block. Casting? machining? delrin? This is not your fault, just my lack of experience and knowledge.

I think I will man the f**k up and use compression fittings. They look nice and my fingers will heal. They also aren't that expensive (I found them for about £3 per).

5. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

Yeah... Verbal diarrhea... Sorry...

Go for a 120.4 :) the best quality 120.3 will still have less surface area :)

Or a 140.3 even, if you can fit it and afford it. It limits your choice of fans a bit, but there are decent 140 fans out there for radiator use.

Either.

Casting is when you inject a substance (in this case as thermoplastic) in a mold to produce a piece. Machining is when you get a block of the aforementioned substance and put it on a CNC mill to "shape" it.

Delrin is a commercial name for acetal copolymer or polyoxymethylene. But as the latter two are a bit of a mouthful we use the commercial name as a generic name for the substance (same as we call vacuum cleaners "hoovers"). Is the black plastic on top of the block.

If you are to make a long series of pieces injection molding is cheaper than machining. But in short series is not economically viable as you have to make the mold for the part, and the cost of it has to be spread through the number of units you produce.

However, as a general rule of thumb the machined end result is more pleasing. Compare a XSPC acrylic top to a EK acrylic top. You'll see what I mean.

Enjoy your battle with your compression fittings either way ;)

Strudul likes this.
  6. Strudul

Strudul ~

Well it is very useful verbal diarrhoea.

Which would be better 120.4 or 140.3. I am mounting it externally, either on the back of my case or free standing, so size is not really an issue, only price and performance.

I have read in a few places that 120mm fans are better than 140mm fans. And since 120mm are more common, would they not be a better price and have better selection.

I kinda understand the machining stuff e.t.c, thanks.

And yeah, wish me luck with the fittings ^^

Thanks for the help, +rep.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

When I used compression fittings I found them to be fine :) The only problem it guessing if you have them tight enough... :p

I'm going to stick with a XSPC RX360 will easily do you, Deadbeat has one cooling 3 OC's 580's...

Edit: If you drop 3 of the GT's then you'll have enough for a RX360 :)

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  8. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

Hmmm... I believe price/performance-wise you're better off with 120.4...

More choice of both rads and fans too, you're right.

Besides, I can't really talk by personal experience with 140mm rads because I've never owned one, I went from 120mm rads to the Mo-Ra 3s.

Summarising, if I were you I'd go for a decent low fpi 120.4 and 4 Scythe Gentle Typhoons in pull, and only add another 4 in push if strictly necessary :)

I thoroughly dislike background noise, so I always try to keep it to a bare minimum :)

9. Strudul

Strudul ~

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

RX360...

11. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

12. Strudul

Strudul ~

I think an RX480 might be a tad out of budget so,
    RX360 or a simar priced 480 rad (ek coolstream XT 480)
    Unless you can convince me an RX480 is really necessary.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Trust me, you'll only need a RX360. 480 is MASSIVE overkill. Buy one, you wont regret it!

14. Strudul

Strudul ~

Lol, ok Pete. RX360 it is.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Did I reinforce my point enough through repetition? :p Where are you buying all of this from?

Strudul likes this.
  16. Strudul

Strudul ~

Lol

I am still not sure a 360 will be enough after reading some other threads. You sure a RX360 is enough for a decent OC on a 955 and a GTX480?

I was gonna buy most of it from specialtech.co.uk, but the site wont work for me anymore (was fine yesterday though).
    So probably a mix of stores now, like Scan, WatercoolingUK and other sites in this thread.

I also use Google Shopping and Skinflint.co.uk to find the best deals.

+rep btw

Last edited: 21 Apr 2011
  17. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

480 Cheesecake :rock:

Silliness aside I do believe a single 360 is not enough, but (master of the obvious again) final decision is all yours.

However I do have a very personal view on what's overkill... In a moment of madness I built a MM Extended Ascension + Pedestal with 2 x TC PA120.3 (old school), 2 x Feser 360s and 1 Feser 480, 4 x DDC 3.2 and 2 x Aquastream XT.

But I've got much better since... Now I'm a good boy, I take my Prozac and stick to 4 x 180s ;)

18. Strudul

Strudul ~

:jawdrop:.........:eyebrow:................:hehe:

Well I can get the RX360 for £72 or the RX480 for £94

I think the 480 might be a slightly better option, but don't want to upset Pete :p

19. Cus_de_Sparta65

Cus_de_Sparta65 "There is no dremel"

Pete know's that you can lead a horse to water and all that. Pete always gives great advice on these forums but at the end of the day it is your rig and only you know what will make you happy. You are spending good money on your hobby so might as well do it exactly the way you want it.

Even though I agree that Pete is correct about the XSPC RX360 but getting the XSPC RX480 certainly wont do your set-up any harm so go for it if you have the dosh, Pete will understand I'm sure

:worried: just double check that you lock all your doors and windows at night time for the next month or so to be on the safe side OK!

20. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

*Insert grumbles here*

I'm still sure that a RX360 will be enough. But as stated it's your system, just wanted to save you the £22 :)

And I got mine from Scan :) Just remember that you get free delivery :)