1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Phobya Case Design Competition - Final Voting Round

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Apr 2011.

?

Which is the best water-cooled case design?

Poll closed 2 May 2011.
  1. Proteus by mick64

88 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Phobya Gladio by Razer2007

29 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. II by Roboduck

29 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Black Owl by SnowyOwl

93 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Harry64a

Harry64a What's a Dremel?

I think that Proteus is the best!

2. izym

izym What's a Dremel?

Black Owl by SnowyOwl

3. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Just in case anyone was wondering, SnowyOwl was considerate enough to ask my permission to go ahead with the black version of his case prior to presenting it, since it does bear some resemblance to Dominus. Of course I gave my permission. I don't want people to get the impression he ripped off my design or anything.

4. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

II by Roboduck for its size and configurability. Great designs by all though, and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these ideas appear in future manufactured cases (you know they're watching!)

5. SGT_Rauch

SGT_Rauch What's a Dremel?

Proteus (i hope) is the winner

6. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Phobya Gladio for its great modding potential! There is so much you could do with that case!

Although I will say that I am a bit surprised that none of them really had any heavy support for large numbers of Hard Drives. I have found that every computer I have made for a main rig in the last 10 years has had more hdds than the one before it. Currently I have 10 drives and in another 5 years I will likely have 20. Luckily though my current setup has slots for over 20 drives lol.

7. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

Amazing how this thread has brought out all the n00bs - and they're overly opinionated.

Ugly?? I'd like to see you design better buddy.

Positive support or nothing!
    Didn't your mother tell you that if you have nothing nice to say say nothing at all?

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

My wife always say : "Quand on est pas joli, on est poli !"

which can be translated into : "When you're not pretty, at least be polite"

I agree with you confusis, only constructive comments are welcomed, may they be positive or negative. Unless they are argued and lead to an improvement, better not say anything.

9. MrT0ad

MrT0ad What's a Dremel?

Goes to show that is impossible to make a single product to fit every single user (master of the obvious they call me :p )

What I'm hoping for out of this competition is a case that is not as big and bland as the monolith in 2001: A Space Odissey and can fit a decent WC loop with no modding whatsoever.

And my latest build has no hard drives. Or ODD. Boot drive is a RevoDrive x2 and all the bulk storage, backups etc rely on the NAS.

10. HySpeed

HySpeed What's a Dremel?

i vote proteus i hove it will have in the retail version some removable dust filters:)

11. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

I'd buy Proteus. Black owl reminds me too much of somewhere between old Dell workstation cases and Apple's styling. The skill and attention to detail on all four is very impressive regardless of my personal opinion and preference. Well done to all the finalists!

12. jadawgis732

jadawgis732 What's a Dremel?

Phobya Gladio by Razer2007

13. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Gladio gets my vote! It's been fun watching this one. Congrats to each of the finalists. I look forward to seeing the build of the winners design! Will we get to see the Phobya crew at work ? Would make a nice article or better yet a work log here ;)

14. Shadow703793

Shadow703793 What's a Dremel?

Not necessarily. If you have a lot of fans you can dial down the rpm with out increasing temps. I haven't been able to go through all the logs, but I believe most are 140mm or better, at the very least 120mm. The choice of fans also influence noise. Say, you use some thing like Gentle Typhoons and you will have very little issues with noise.

15. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

:sigh: for chastising someone as a "noob" based on their post count, especially since he voted for the best water cooling case in the competition. :grr:

Welcome to the forum Luigi408!

16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

A good concept is combining both: smallest amount of fans possible with lowest RPM... all at once.

Two 360-radiators is more then enough for very efficient watercooling with good overclocking. No more then 7x 120mm fans needed all humming along at 800RPM, + the PSU-fan.

The question is all about reasonable hardware-setups imho, as setups ment for chasing benchmark-records are never housed in a case anyways, but on a testbench instead.

17. Chiller1

Chiller1 Hybrid Level 10 building

i vote for Roboduck

18. bullseye

bullseye Who dares wins

I cant understand why black owl is winning a watercooling case competition!
    Top marks to Snowy on the presentation but a reworked G5 with a single rad in the bottom is not a purpose built watercooling case, especially when the rad has restricted air flow from a plate shielding the psu.

19. EddTheRed666

EddTheRed666 What's a Dremel?

I have to aggree with Bullseye here, as nice as it is, how is black owl a watercooling case. Room for a single 360 rad with a 3rd of that coverd if not more. ( does anyone have a psu that small !!!)

20. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Please read the page on Snowys entry and then post again.

Tags: Add Tags