1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Favourite RPGs of all time

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 20 Apr 2011.

1. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

PSX4droid + iso? :p

2. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

This. It is probably the one I enjoyed the most as a whole (although actually it was stolen before I finished it on dreamcast, and I later re-bought it on GameCube :worried:).

Phantasy Star Online
    Golden Sun
    Pokemon Red
    Morrowind
    Ocarina of Time (another one I only finished on GC!)
    Winder Waker
    World of Warcraft (I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it while I played)

I never finished Tales of Symphonia but found awesome anyway (it's too damn big!).

KOTOR was very good but I wouldn't put it in with the others :hip:

3. niro

niro What's a Dremel?

I use fpse, but yea either psx4droid or fpse. FPSE is apparently more stable and can play more games, but psx4droid is supposed to have better graphics. They're both available on Android market and cost a few pound.

You can find list of games online that either of those emulators play fine, play wit a few problems or cannot play at all.

So far I have FFVII and FFVIII

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

In reference to the last few posts, just remember that talking about how to illegally download games is against the rules. Bit obviously doesn't condone piracy.

Though I don't think anyones going to complain about pirating something not even in production anymore, especially if you already own it, just keep the actual details off the forums; I don't want to see you get banned.

Personally I've always loved the pokemon games which, despite their stigma as games for younger children, I've always found to be some of the most strategic RPGs out there.

5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've played WoW on and off for a long time.

FF7 pissed me right off... I spent 45 hours and JUST FINISHED disk 1 than my brother went and sold my ps1 memory card. Haven't picked up the game since as I was soo frustated without using guides than my bro came and sold the memory card. I purchased my psp from a friend and he had ff7 on it but I refuse to start the game over. I did enjoy the advent children movie though.

Also, someone mentioned persona, i looked it up and it just doesn't seem like my kind of game. Everyone seems to love the game according to "top rpg game" searches on google, but to me its too Japanese feeling. Don't mean that in an offensive way but it really doesn't look very interesting to me. As for tales of symphonia, I used to go to my friends place after school and we'd play it for gamecube and I did enjoy it... Maybe i'll see if I can borrow his copy, GC games play on Wii's right? Pretty sure the series spanned many consoles.

6. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Yeah, that was me that said Persona.

Only really got into it after playing the Shin Megami Tensei series, and they both rely heavily on Japanese folklore, religion and superstitions (something I've liked to study now and then).

FF7, i could never really get into, even at the time it came out. Sure its a great game & story, but i just felt *meh* whenever I played it.

7. mansueto

The twist at the end of the first disk pissed me off haha. Wouldn't describe them as RPG's but I picked up god of war 3 and dantes inferno the other day, give me an excuse to finish GoW 2 before I can start 3 and I tried dante's inferno and enjoyed its simple hack n slash style, plus it was only 20 bucks.

8. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

Final Fantasy X

Morrowind

Loved both of them.

Also had fun playing the original Pokemon on gameboy, and WoW (as others have said, I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it when I played it).

9. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I really don't like Pokemon, but the Pokemon games on the various gameboy consoles are genuinely good.

In addition to my previous post I also recommend both KOTOR games (I'm not a fan of Star Wars either, but I don't think you need to be to enjoy them).

Mass Effect is brilliant and you can really see KOTOR's influence in it. All of those are more linear than I really like RPGs to be, but the quality of both story and gameplay more than compensate for that.

Fallout 3 is worth a look if you've not played it yet, but it's easily one of the buggiest games I've ever played, so make sure you have several saves and expect to replay sections because of the glitches. I found the game world felt quite small and unconvincing, but the game itself does have a certain charm and is quite atmospheric in places.

Finally, have a look at Jagged Alliance 2. This is a turn based strategy RPG not too dissimilar to the original Fallout titles in terms of gameplay.

Per Wikipedia:

"The game takes place in the fictional country of Arulco, which has been ruled by a ruthless monarch Deidranna for several years. The player is put in control of several hired mercenaries and with aid of local citizens and militia must reclaim Arulco's cities and ultimately defeat Deidranna.

The game uses a strategic map screen of Arulco where player may issue high level strategic orders for their troops, such as travelling or prolonged training. Combat and individual location exploration takes place in tactical screen, where player can issue individual direct commands to their mercenaries, such as run, shoot, talk and so on. The game features a wide variety of guns, armour and items that the player may use.

The game received positive scores from reviews. It was praised for its non-linear gameplay, freedom of action, memorable characters and tactical gameplay.
    "​

Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jagged_Alliance_2#Plot

10. Dissident

Dissident What's a Dremel?

Ultima IV -First RPG I ever played on my Commodore 64.
    bards Tales

One of my customers just brought me a copy of The Witcher, which I am excited to try when I have some free time.

Couple of the old AD&D games don't remember which ones.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2011
  11. mansueto

I've heard nothing but good things about the witcher. The worst part about this thread is now I want all these games but due to financials I'll have to pick them out one at a time. If only I could win the lottery...

12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

The Witcher.

I've enjoyed others, like DAO, but The Witcher hands down.

13. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Not too tough to find the original PSX or PC versions for sale (though you'll be paying a lot), but if you have a PSP or PS3, you can get it off of PSN for $10 (dunno the UK pricing). If you want it on your Android phone, you'll need one of the new Sony gaming models.

Forgot to mention Diablo II! I've probably logged more hours on D2 than any other game, and I've been playing the Median XL mod for the past year or so.. Incredible game.

Not sure how people can enjoy Morrowind, very bland game IMO. The setting is boring, the leveling system is boring.. IMO Daggerfall and Oblivion are better, we'll see about Skyrim.

14. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

Fallout series.
    Loved it from the start.
    Also liked Mass Effect, and Borderlands.

15. mansueto

I've been meaning to re-install d2, I havent played since the 1.12 patch and I've been playing on and off for years, roughly since 1.07 or 1.08. I remember the good ol' days before all the runewords. Having full ik on my barb and full tal on my sorc made me feel like such a boss. I've heard there are a lot of great mods / addons now so maybe next week once I'm done my exams I'll dig my copy out and find me a nice mod to play!

16. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I had Tal's armor, ammy and belt, with the IK helm on my MF barb :lol:

Bet you loved having the gold glow around your characters :p

The best mod by far is Median, none of the others come close in terms of depth.

http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/

There's only one dev, but he's been working on the game for years and has modified absolutely everything.. In D2 and LoD defense wasn't particularly important, due to how much life leech and such you have. Did you know that your defense is 0 in Diablo II if you run? Gold isn't plentiful, and you'll need it for more than just resurrecting your mercenaries.. Every skill is viable to plan a build around, there is a huge amount of endgame content, seven tiers of weapons instead of three, I could go on and on about it.

17. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

oh god dont even get me started on the number of hours spent on D2 lol

When you end up with a lvl99 hardcore character you kinda think you've been playing too much lol

18. geoboy333

geoboy333 Sometimes I say something bright...

As I've grown up I haven't played RPG's that much (bar the successful ones like Mass Effect) but I always remember Fable 1 being a really good game.

19. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

quest for glory, so you want to be a hero.
    played that game so many times...
    space quest 1 and 2
    star control 2
    final fantasy 1,2,3

newer games, gothic 1 and 2
    witcher
    mass effect

20. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

One more I thought to add to the ever-growing list:

Vagrant story. Was made by square-enix, and is easily as good as some of the FF's, has a really awesome weapon customization system, it's on the psn for about £8 as well.