1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Virgin to trial world's fastest cable broadband

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 21 Apr 2011.

1. Deders

Deders Modder

I get better speedtest results when I go through the London exchange than I do with the local one

2. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

cable connections are only fibre optic up to the main box in the street from there to your home its copper coaxial cable,being a radio ham for several years I know the difference between optical and copper coaxial cable and the limitations of copper cable especially on short lengths.My friend is on the 50 meg virgin package I have been in his house on many occassions when hes been on the phone to virgin complaing about his problem amd have also seen his contract with them for the 50 meg package,Im guessing you work for virgin thats why your defending them maybe. you only have to check out forums to see how many people have problems with that isp and not just with thier net access packages

3. enciem

enciem Minimodder

It's 187.5 megabytes per second, and the dude who said sharing internet connections was on the money.

I'd love to have this sort of speed. I bet virgin will still throttle the hell out of the upload speed mind.

4. Dissident

Dissident What's a Dremel?

I am on 25mb/s and i can not imagine anything any faster, let alone 1.5gb/s.

5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

No, it means your download will be cached in RAM before it's written to the drive.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My money is one them selling it with dedicated hardware EG a USB3 / Thunderbolt / PCI-E based dongle. Hopefully wireless based.

No point saying "But they don't exist"... neither does the 1.5Gbps package they're wanting to sell.

Either than or the router will simply have several 1Gbps sockets for sharing and/or bonding your 1.5Gbps.

7. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Its time OFCOM kicked the door down at Vigin and got them to start improving the UK's broadband as a whole, they moan about BT OR duct and pole prices. Beyond 50 meg there will only be limited take up by residents, a expansion of there network would do more for the people wanting better broadband and give virgin more customers in the long term.

8. lp rob1

lp rob1 Modder

Only problem with cable is that it is shared with your neighbours, meaning if they are downloading 'stuff', your speeds will suffer. But there is plenty of speeeeeeds with this connection!

HD tech needs to develop first though - it gets faster but not by a considerable amount. Imagine an HD that has built in RAID 0 eg. data striped across the platters. Or multiple read write heads. I am developing the future, right here in the comments! :D

9. slothy89

slothy89 MicroModder

Sigh.. So many people not knowing the difference between MB/s (bytes) and Mb/s (bits). Plenty of people get it but theres a few.. The little b isn't just ppl not using capslock.

Also of course they aren't planning on one PC using the entire 1.5Gbps. As has been said this is a CORPORATE TRIAL. so there will be quite a few people using it simultaneously. By the time this hits residential, motherboards will have builtin 10Gbps Ethernet.

Or, I know plenty of consumer motherboards that offer dual LAN binding which would get you a 2gbps Cap.

Anyway, where I live in Australia I'd be more than happy for virgin to give me 50mbps cable. I'm meant to get 20, but am lucky to get 7... With 0.7 up.. I can't even host a minecraft server for more than 4 ppl.

10. Xro33

Xro33 What's a Dremel?

Kansas city, Kansas is getting google's fiber optic and now Virgin. Hopefully more isp's will switch and hopefully these data caps will be gone. We just have to wait and see what kind of improvements this brings.

11. PedoBear

PedoBear What's a Dremel?

The problem with VM is they over subscribe there lines.
    I know from first hand experience and a phone call from a VM technical Manager.
    I was on there 20 meg package had 4 different engineers out, new modems hours in phone calls. Then I got a phone call from them telling me that the lines were over subscribed and it would be 6 months until they could safely say it would be fixed.
    I got 100 pounds compo and 12 months free Broadband and they stuck me on the lower package.
    I decided to cancel this year after being with them since it was ntl and told them that they have gone to the dogs in the past few years. with bethere now getting 15 meg connection no capping at anytime of day wooot.

12. sWW

sWW Minimodder

Well at least people in cities can have more fun. Us country folk will still be stuck on weak copper lines 4km from the exchange :<

13. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Yup, I know it's probably not a financially good idea for VM but it would be lovely if they extended their cable coverage to more remote areas. :( If I wasn't in uni halls at the moment I would be back on a "8Mb" connection that was so terrible I was regularly getting 4.5Kb/s.

14. UrbanSmooth

UrbanSmooth Surround Gamer

Will someone please tell YouTube/Google about this? Sometimes YouTube suffers from the worst streaming speeds that one can fathom.

15. rakesh27

rakesh27 What's a Dremel?

Guys,

When you say 7mb, 8mb etc per second, can you please mention it like this eg 1000kbps as this mean yours get 1mega byte per second.

So am i to understand all you lot out there are actually getting 7, 8, 15 mb per second on normal broadband i could believe this if its optical.

I only question it as im only 1km from our exchange max i get is 1mb per second, not that great, i suppose it will do.

Plesae explain if ive gone wrong, thanks

16. Br1t1shB33f

Br1t1shB33f What's a Dremel?

Actually my friend, unfortunately 50Meg is capped during peak times.

I cap out at 6.04mb/sec down speed during the non peak times but am throttled down to 3mb/2mb/1mb and 750k depending on how busy the day.
    :waah: and i pay £38 p/m for a throttled service.

17. Deders

Deders Modder

With Virgin? We don't get throttled afaik, just random downtime at the moment.

Tags: Add Tags