1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Lapsed Builder back in the fold.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by The_R_Man, 20 Apr 2011.

1. The_R_Man

The_R_Man What's a Dremel?

Hi Javaman, thanks for the input! The case is designed to take the slim drives. Similarly, it has two fans to blow specifically on the GPUs when in dual array. It's a really great case and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

I can't say for certain that I'll definitely Crossfire in the future. It is likely, however, if I want to keep my rig running future games at quite high settings. As I say, right now it's about options and upgrade paths since my circumstances have forced me to change the build. I guess it'll be easiest if I get the most widely available reference model 6950 2GB, minimizing future compatibility problems. Do you have any suggestions on brands for the reference design?

Thanks for the link as well, the performance gains from Crossfire are huge. Also, how many posts do I need to make before a mod no longer has to approve them? I've four or five replies on this thread which are yet to appear.

Cheers again!

2. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

out of interest why would you go with the 1Gb card over the 2gb when it stops you from unlocking the card? especially when the 2gb and 1gb cards are basically the same price.

3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Last time I looked the 1gb cards where dropping in price. Sometimes the saving is worth it ie good stock performance for a nice whack off. Personally I don't overclock my gpu, yes 40% increase in performance sounds superb but when its only 5fps with the added power draw, I personally don't regard it as a good return. I also fold on my GPU so overclocking will kill it far quicker since GPU's arnt really built to run 24/7. For a gamer that's fine in my personal case it Isn't worth it.
    If your wanting to unlock or running eyefinity or crossfiring, get the 2gb card but be warned that not all unlocks are successful. A botched attempt can leave a dead card tho the cards where built with a dual bios so if your attempt fails you can switch back to the original bios. It comes down to useage and weather you feel the saving, if any is worth it. If it was me, I would be going Nvidia due to folding requirements

Kroy likes this.
  4. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

It's Latin, a very early version of 1337-5pk, and is a shortening of circa, meaning 'around', here used to mean 'around five years'.

I would've thought someone with Sparta in their name would have recognised this TBH. Ancient Greek obviously isn't what it was...

5. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

I would swap that Graphics card for a 2GB Asus HD 6950 OC so you can flash it to a HD 5970. If you dont want to flash it go with a GTX 560.

6. The_R_Man

That is the card in the build, or am I missing something? Also, no Nvidia. I don't trust them as far as I can throw them!

7. The_R_Man

Final Questions

So, just one or two things to get a little more advice on.

PSU: is my selection good enough? What's the lowest wattage I should go? Which would be a better choice, this: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/600w...us-gold-90-eff-sli-crossfire-eps12v-135mm-fan

Or

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/520w...bronze-87-eff-sli-crossfire-eps-12v-120mm-fan ?

Secondly, GPUs. Still torn between the 6950 and the 5870. I could do with someone explaining the performance gains of the former over the latter, especially as I plan to have this rig running for up to five years. Any recommendations for either card greatly appreciated!:thumb:

8. Kroy

Kroy Minimodder

What did Nvidia do to you in the past 10 years to make you so hurt? Can't you forgive them... it's been a while. They didn't mean to run over your cat, and said sorry about that already, so it must've been something else ;-)

9. The_R_Man

Hi Kroy, Nvidia did something far worse than hurt my cat, they've had the gall to sell me several non- or barely-functioning GPUs down the years. I've never had a Nvidia GPU that's worked properly and I've never had an ATI GPU that's failed to be anything other than flawless. I know this is argument by anecdote, but with a 100% failure rate I just don't trust them.

On a personal note, I'm being discharged from hospital tomorrow! The surgeon wants me to take another two weeks to convalesce, then it's back to work! I can't wait to be a functioning member of society again. :)