1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Favourite RPGs of all time

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by mansueto, 20 Apr 2011.

1. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

Witcher
    Oblivion
    Diablo II
    Mass Effect

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

This is perhaps a bit too old school, but can anyone remember the original AD&D games by SSI?

In particular I'm thinking of Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness, although they made some games set in other TSR universes (Dragonlance, Buck Rogers and Dark Sun).

Great games one and all, and in particular Pool of Radiance introduced me to the world of CRPGs. That was on the Amiga back then in the late 80s.

3. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I do remember playing both Dark Sun Shattered Lands and Stronghold, from SSI, was good fun!

4. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Right, I'm going to try and not mention things that already have been.

Suikoden - The whole series (1+2 were PSX 3-5 + Tactics were PS2) If you thought Chrono Cross had a lot of characters, think again. Which brings me down to...

Chrono Cross - I played a lot of it but then my brother went and trod on the first disc (which I hadn't finished yet). I'll have to get round to that one again.

Shin Megami Tensei - I know it's been mentioned but nobody said Lucifer's Call/Nocturne Maniax (silly region naming). Devil Summoner 1+2 is also another one. Great battle system.

Tales of - Symphonia is a must (great story, great characters, great voice acting... opinions, I know). Tales of the Abyss is another great for PS2. Vesperia if you can get hold of a copy on 360/PS3. Eternia/Destiny another messed up region naming convention. Phantasia was released fairly recently on DS/GBA I believe.

Skies of Arcadia is always worth another mention.

Valkyrie Profile - 1+2 not sure if PSX or PSP version of 1 is better.

Wild Arms - Only actually played WA3 to completion myself but it was brilliant.

King's Field - Creators went on to do Demon's Souls.

SaGa series - Romancing and Unlimited are great. First play through of the games are pretty much your tutorial.

Legend of the Dragoon - Hands down my favourite RPG to hit the PSX.

That's all I can reel off the top of my head. There are others but they've been mentioned already.
    Can you guess my favourite genre yet?!

Last edited: 23 Apr 2011
  5. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Great list of games... The worst part about this is having a 360, original 60gb ps3 with the proper ps2 playback, ds and psp and choosing which ones to pick up first. Theres soo many choices!

6. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Planescape: Torment
    KOTOR
    Zelda: The Wind Waker
    TES: Morrowind
    Dungeon Siege

Fav. of all time: Tales of Symphonia 1 (the sequel is @%*#ing terrible)
    Story was bit cliché at first, but became epic later on. Beautiful character design and overall art. Some good music. Overall good voice acting etc. I've spent hundred of hours into this game and don't regret a single second of it.
    Originally borrowed it from a friend, then searched for ages on ebay for the english PAL version (which somehow is incredibly rare). So happy when I finally bought it :D (although the price was pure thievery)

Haven't played Chrono Trigger either but I hope to find it somewhere cheap one day.

7. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Any PAL region Tales of game is rare as ****. I'm still trying to get hold of a copy of Vesperia for 360 for a 'reasonable' price. Everywhere had stock the week it was released but I had no money. the following week I have money and then there sin't a copy in sight.
    Namco have no love for the PAL region.

8. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

I'm a RPG noob, hence Fallout 3 rocks my box.

9. mansueto

I've got diablo 2 re-installing at the moment, my friend and me have decided to give hardcore a try :D

Also, got my hands on tales of symphonia but I didn't realize you need a memory card on the wii to save, so I can't get into it until I purchase or borrow a memory card. I also got chrono trigger for the ds off the same friend who had tales of symphonia. He also gave me some final fantasy crystal chronicals and said its alright, along with phantasy star. I'm excited for diablo 2 and symphonia the most.

Once I finish the game i'll see if I can get the 2nd one for ps3 / 360.

Pliqu3011 likes this.
  10. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

Anything else is blasphemy in my head :)

Comrade Woody likes this.
  11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Final Fantasy 8 - the greatest of all time bar none

Star Wars KOTOR

Skies of Arcadia

Elder Scrolls Oblivion

Final Fantasy 10

12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Have to admit, after playing Titan Quest I simply cannot go back to Diablo 2. Believe me, I've tried... :)

13. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

Same story here. Spent weeks on ebay and even spread my search to the french and german ebays! I think I ended up getting it from the UK anyway though. :lol:

The Paper Mario and Baby Mario/Mario and Luigi games are quite enjoyable too. Not hardcore RPGs in any way but still RPGs :thumb:

14. Wira

Wira Spoderman

Oblivion
    Mount & Blade Warband - I loved this game :) 50+ hours in the original, 60+ hours in this one
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: NV
    Dragon age origins
    Wow (not really a proper RPG Imo)

I've tried a few different japanese rpg's (though never FF), and always found them, uhm, stupid.

15. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

Throwing my two pennies in. Played the mack daddy Final Fantasy series VII-X, enjoyed and replayed VIII the most. Also, worth playing the earlier FF series, V and VI were particularly enjoyable.

As for other old school JRPGs, Chrono Trigger is an incredibly charming entry with some great characters. Others I thoroughly enjoyed were Star Ocean, Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, Evolution 2 and Wild Arms (all undiscovered gems in their own right).

I saw someone mention Vandal Hearts, which is a fabby tactical RPG. As is Final Fantasy Tactics and the GBA/DS sequels. Although it surprises me no-one has mentioned Front Mission, a Square tactical RPG based around mech combat. Seriously, it's such an awesome little game on DS, you simply have to play it.

At the moment, I'm playing through Fallout 3 again which bugs aside is a great way to indulge in post-apocalyptic fantasies.

And MMORPG cheesecake, Guild Wars is the shizzle!

16. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I loved Morrowind, finding or making the best gear to fight with was great.

Oblivion was such a disappointment simply because of the enemy level balancing thing they did. It made it feel like you weren't making progress.

I sincerely hope they don't do the same with Skyrim

17. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

This is the only mention of Ultima series? (BTW, Dissident meant ULTIMA not ultimate)
    You guys had no past! C'mon, ultima series since the VI epsode was one of the best series of all time!
    They introduced karma, night and day, and best of all it was the first 3d game that was a real joy!
    Ultima unterworld was a game with a nice story line, full 3d (still bitmapped and billboarded thou) and it came 3 or two months before castle wolfenstein!

How dare you forget them?

anyway, my list, in no particular order is:
    Planescape: torment (by far the best storyline EVER in a game of ANY genre)
    Eye of the beholder
    Baldurs gate I&II
    Fallout 1&2 (I refuse to say FO3 *spits on the floor* is actually fallout even being a good game)
    FO: New Vegas (much more FO than FO3 *spits on the floor*, even so, not really a FO title)
    Ultima VII: the black gate
    Ultima VII: The serpent isle
    Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
    Ultima Underworld: Labirynths of worlds
    Shinning in darkness (sega mega drive)
    The witcher
    TES IV:Oblivion
    Dragon Age: Origins (really liked it)
    Dragon Age II (liked it, but not as much as the first one)

The action rpgs:
    mass effect I&II
    Diablo I&II

I don't consider ME a hardcore RPG because it depends much more on mouse skill than in statistics like any other rpg. The first one had a strong storyline. The second one had a better gameplay, but shallow history if compared to the first one.

As for FO:NV, I think because the were forced to use a terribly outdated engine, the game suffered of poor sales if compared with *spits on the floor* FO3. Same engine actually, but two year older.

I still don't forgive you guys for letting Ultima series out of this discussion!

18. Dissident

Dissident What's a Dremel?

Pools of Radiance...thats the title I was trying to remember... Loved it and it led to me playing through the rest of the one's you have listed.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

I've played WA1 and 2, and SaGa Frontier 1 and 2. We complete each other :lol:

20. mansueto

So heres the list of games I have from the list that I'll be playing over the next few months. I have 4 months of summer with minimal work so good chance I'll spend a lot of mornings and afternoons gaming because we all know people don't come out until the evening.

I'm probably 16 hours into ff13 on ps3, I do want to play it through to finish
    Fable 2, I'm probably 1/2 way through the game, would also like to finish
    Tales of symphonia once I get a gamecube memory card for my wii
    God of war 2, I'm probably 3-4 hours into it
    God of war 3
    Dante's inferno
    PSP I've got final fantasy Crysis core
    DS I've got luminous arc 2
    Chrono Trigger

PC I've started playing Diablo 2 again
    Also playing league of legends

This is my "ambitious" list to start because the thing with me is I'll play a lot for a few days, than the game goes back on the shelf for months. I tend to move around from game to game when I get stuck or bored.

There are also a lot of gems you have all mentioned that I would like to play in the future.

Edit:

+Rep is slowly being distributed for everyones contributions