1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Nintendo confirms new console

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Apr 2011.

1. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

When I bought my Wii I wasn't a PC gamer. I don't see me buying this too quickly now.

What strikes me more is the codename. "Project Cafe" just sounds so relaxed and unimpressive compared to the "Revolution" which was the Wii. Maybe they were annoyed by how attached to the name Revolution fans got. Project Cafe just summons images of the Ninty bigwigs sitting round and going "Oh, I suppose it's time for a new console."

2. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

It's all rumours at the moment. And it is rumoured to be more powerful than a PS3. However, being a rumour, no one knows yet just how much more powerful that is.

3. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Grammar Nazi does NOT approve:

"praphical grunt"

Oh yeah, 'rivaling the PS3"... doesn't that mean that by the time this new console is released, it will be out of date? :lol:

4. Furymouse

Furymouse Like connect 4 in dagger terms

Better graphics didn't persuade me to get a 360 or PS3, I doubt it will for the wii+ either.

Super Smash Brothers Brawlpocalypse though.........that may just make me go back to consoles.

5. Drumm

Drumm What's a Dremel?

Hmm.. Interesting. The Wii was out before the 360 and the Ps3 allowing them to get some nice sales as they were the only thing new on the market. The next generation Sony and Microsoft devices will not be out until 2014 from what I read, this should allow Nintendo to grab some good sales from this device. It's good timing, just when everybody is getting tired of all their old consoles.

As many others mentioned, I do hope Nintendo come out with some kind of graphical enhancement. Also, a DVD feature would be pretty sexy. The Wii had a DVD compatible drive, but there was no software to utilise it (Outside of homebrew of course) I also think that if Nintendo want to win this war, they should do the opposite of Sony + Microsoft. Allow hackers to write their own software. This is something Sony and Microsoft have not allowed, especially not Sony.

6. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

What Nintendo need to do is follow the Wii business model. Ie unlike Sony and MS, don't massively subsidise a high end system and then recoup the costs as a console tax on games. Keep the games and consoles cheap. Even if they are technically a bit inferior to the competition, people will buy them if they're fun.

7. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Had a N64 and loved it. As a console it was ok, but it just had a few games that were just so good they stayed with you for ever:

Mario
    Mario Kart
    Zelda Ocarina of Time
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark.

Wii was a huge bag of sh*t that I can not believe anyone but an 8 year old or a house wife could like.

I do not care if it made a boat load of money it was still rubbish, and all that motion control bolloc*s is old hat now; so they better have a new gimmick up their sleeve.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2011
  8. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

48xx GPUs are power hungry and excessively hot. I doubt they'd touch them with a barge pole. Maybe the 58xx or 68xx series (which is more like a 57xx) might be worth it due to their lower power envelope and high throughput. The process on which they are manufactured has developed over the past year or so, so I don't think yield would be an issue.

9. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

If they can get support from game developers then this has a lot of potential in my opinion, that was the biggest problem with the wii, with 3rd party insistence that EVERYTHING had to be motion controlled a close second.
    Play mario galaxy and mario kart, the motion control is there and it works, but the game isnt motion control centric...
    Maybe the improved graphical grunt will persuade more companies to give it a try?
    I get the impression that current-gen graphics are enough for most console gamers? Hopefully it wont be completely blown out of the water by sony and microsoft though, but i think their next consoles arent expected for a number of years?

10. Dissident

Dissident What's a Dremel?

My family and i actually really enjoyed the Wii, and although we have a PS3 the Wii got more use up until PS3's move setup. This next console should be interesting.

11. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

"power and praphical grunt"

Whatever that is, I needz more! :D

12. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

This.

I have played with my older sister's & her boyfriend's Wii ( shut it ) and I can safely say it is the most awful thing ever. Poor graphics, appalling games for the most part, and the controllers... I gave up trying to play mariokart as it was just impossible to steer a car with a steering wheel which wasn't attached to anything; my sister ( early 30s, just had her first kid ) loves it though because that's the mind-set it is designed to appeal to- non-serious gamers.

If you asked someone like that to play a game like HawX or COD then their brains would go into meltdown due to the advanced nature of gameplay and controls etc.

Also, this:

13. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

You can say that about any old tech. The HD5xxx and from memory don't the HD6xxx use a tweaked version of the R800. The HD4xxx used R700. If this is to have a working prototype and be on sale by Christmas it makes sense if they struck a deal to use left over R700 and thus keep price down and meet demand without effecting HD6xxx production. Yes ATI is moving to 28nm Southern Islands by the end of the year but it seems it'll just be a die shrink for the HD6xxx brought about by TSCM's delay in moving from 40nm. ATI's current strategy is to release a low end mainstream part before releasing the high end enthusiast parts so there will still be a delay before the HD69xx disappear.

14. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

If the Wii never existed, then neither would this:

Yaay

Or this!!

15. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

if it gets all the ps3/xbox games released on it and can manage the res + framerates properly it will become the default new console purchase.

16. goultech

goultech What's a Dremel?

Higher specs, hmmm. Surely Mario, Luigi, Kirby and DK cant get any more polished. The majority of Nintendo's big earners games are all "Cartooney" like anyway.

17. Phifty Cal

Phifty Cal What's a Dremel?

The Wii was released a whole year after the 360 and a few weeks before the PS3 actually.

18. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

My roommates and I just split the cost of a Wii last night because we were craving some Brawl after competing a Brawl tournament and realizing how out of practice we were.

Here's to hoping Nintendo remember what they're best at, making fun games that people want even without high end graphics.

19. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

The elitism on display here is rather amusing. Even though it's obvious that the Wii was going in a different direction, people still moan and complain about the graphics or the controls to this day. And now that it's RUMOURED to be succeeded by a much more powerful console, people are still not happy.

20. omicron

omicron Baud.

Why you gotta be hatin', dog?

Tags: Add Tags