1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Phobya Case Design Competition - Final Voting Round

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 18 Apr 2011.

?

Which is the best water-cooled case design?

Poll closed 2 May 2011.
  1. Proteus by mick64

88 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Phobya Gladio by Razer2007

29 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. II by Roboduck

29 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. Black Owl by SnowyOwl

93 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. Number Six

Number Six What's a Dremel?

For me, the choice would have to lie with the "Proteus" chassis.

The design looks far simpler and cleaner than the "Black Owl" design, and it seems to be far more advanced functionally, for a water cooling enthusiast.

The "Black Owl" looks like a very compromised design to me, in the same way the 7/800D was.

2. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

Aqua-tuning is pushing forward big time from what I have heard through the grapevine so I think designing for them might be an exciting venture for the right person.

3. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

OK DB,

now you have had your fun in this thread so here is where we draw the line.

If you would like to comment on the case's in question or express your choice in vote thats perfectly fine.

As for the rest of it you, have had your say - the designers were all aware what they were doing so drop it.

4. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

Thanks for at least allowing me to voice an opinion.

5. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

I think the rules are clearly stated and all designers already agreed before they submit their design. So, there is no point to argue about the clearly stated rules. If you don't like the rules, don't join the competition. It's that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. BG_Geno

BG_Geno What's a Dremel?

That is the good and bad of a public contest...you don't really get to "draw the line". If you do throw your weight around and deny people the right to express their opinion in a polite civilized manner just because you do not like that opinion then we enter the realm of oppression and cover up. You also make a mockery of the public forums here.

Roboduck, I do actually agree that it IS the designers right to choose to enter the contest. I also think there is merit in a contest format itself when handled fairly for both parties. The only point I would take exception with is the claim that the company manufacturing the cases will not be making money. That assertion tries to make the company look like some sort of patron of the arts and it is simply not true. They WILL be making money and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. They will also end up taking elements from the winning design and using them on future cases which also make money.

A more altruistic "patron of the arts" approach for future contests might be to add points based on sales as was suggested earlier, or to include some sort of class that helped the designer hone their design skills. An online SolidWorks class or similar. The company gets a design, improves the designers skill set, and maybe strengthens a relationship with the designer while at the same time making them a better designer. My point being that if the company has in house designers on staff already and has experience in product design and manufacturing then they can mentor the "armature" designer.

That is a much less predatory approach that enriches both parties...and before you "draw the line" on me I would remind you that these are only the opinions of one person--certainly nothing you need to be afraid of.

7. Aliff

Aliff What's a Dremel?

Proteus and Black Owl is now head to head. Wow.. The score is 88, 30, 30, 88. What a nice combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

The reason I want to put a stop to this is not trying to crush your options etc because if i wanted to do that than I could have just deleted your posts - end of.

The main point here is you are dragging the thread off topic. This thread was created for the purpose of discussing the final cases and the voting on them.

If you wanted to discuss the contest details this should have been done during the contest and not in the final voting thread.

So please keep topics constructive on the cases or voting - tell us why you like X case maybe and any points you can tell us on the good or bad design of X case from your experienced position in design could be useful.

9. Seraph84

Seraph84 What's a Dremel?

Hi everybody...i need to change my CosmosS....and i LOVE Proteus case...for me, is the perfect case for hi-end water cooling system...i hope it wins the contest...

10. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

A constructive post...

res·o·nate/ˈrezəˌnāt/Verb

1. Produce or be filled with a deep, full, reverberating sound.

Could the fan filled proteus drive you insane as the fans reverberate though floors and desks...yes this will occur even as low as 500rpm.

I feel the black owl will also suffer the same fate due to its bendy feet and physically small foot print, leading to a higher vibration.

Just another observation.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Tooling...can be nightmare. Bending metal... can be a nightmare, especailly when deciding whether to cut tiny triangles before or afterwards...before and the triangles will elongate, afterwards is a machinists ball ache.

Keep it simple, with functionality and longevity

11. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

[​IMG]

that + rubber feet / rubber pad under the case ....

12. BG_Geno

BG_Geno What's a Dremel?

Consider me properly chastised.

Best of luck to all the contestants!

13. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

2 cents >

Proteus: I have seen this grow since he first put it out there, and his focus has always been water cooling capability, if you look closely you can see the detail. Will it take time to manufacture? of course! But it is well thought out, and allows a builder to do anything they want.

BlackOwl: This is pretty slick. And, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. But now that I have had a chance to get my hands on a g5 case I am kind of disappointed. The layout is basically the same, with the exception of allowing for radiators. By trying to improve on the original winning design of the g5, it feels like more of a "mod" than a design.

1 cent more >

I can say with a fair amount of certainty that Phobya stands to make a "pretty penny" no matter how this turns out. I base my opinion only on the fact that I have now received almost 2000 requests for pricing from all around the world, and my design did not even make it to the final round (!)

14. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

just days before the poll closes, and everyone is tied! 88/30/30/88.

15. SnowyOwl

SnowyOwl What's a Dremel?

The original goal was to make an attractive and curvy design with water cooling in it...trying to get out of the classic water cooling case wich look like a giant square box with lots of space in it.

Each case in this competion (exept yours i must admit...realy i'm not joking) has a feature that can remind you another case.

The G5 is an icon and my feet & the way i threated the front bezel remind it.
    (First design lesson: don't touch an icon unless your ready for some real love/hate comments)

The only thing i don't get and i can't agree with you is the layout:confused: it does not have much in common:
    power supply position = no
    hard drive arragement = no
    motherboard position = no
    5.25 bay = no

my layout is not revolutionnary agreed but what is so similar to a G5:confused:

16. Number Six

Woot! Symmetric poll graph. :D

When exactly is the closing time?

17. nico_ze_poo

nico_ze_poo Why are you reading that ?

It is the smooth, curvy lines of Black Owl that made up my mind, although all the cases here are bloody brilliant !

Great work, pals :clap:

PS: || was a close second, IMHO

18. Number Six

Out of interest, what will happen if there is a tie at the end of voting?

19. faceplant

faceplant What's a Dremel?

@ GuilleAcoustic, Multimodder. You obviously need to go to a physics/acoustic class or lecture at your nearest school/uni, and do some reading about frequency response in building materials (or watch mythbusters).

Rubber standoffs for fans will not completely remove fan vibration, they will only dampen it;
    If a number of moving/rotating objects all suddenly hit the same frequency in extreme cases screws will rotate loose, welds will fail, brick work will shatter, obviously the extreme isn't going to happen in our situation, but... put 10-12 x 120,140,200mm fans in a case with rubber stand offs I'll bet my last penny if these fans all hit the right speeds your going to get that good old whirring vibration through the cases supporting furniture.

Rant over... apologies to Nitrix for moving off topic, but I had to explain where I was going in the older post.
    Bed.

20. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

id love to see all 4 designs ( and some from earlier rounds ) built tbh, they all look so awesome, my vote went to "Proteus" due to its customizable design and scope for modding. hell id like one even if it doesnt win ^_^

Tags: Add Tags