1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Build for a colleague - Opinions please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sentinel-R1, 30 Apr 2011.

1. Sponge12349

Sponge12349 (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ ︵ ┻━┻

2. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

You're a diamond mate. Thanks v much.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Nah, far better to go for a better GPU over an SSD, especially for a gaming machine (IMHO).

To the OP: make sure you partition the hard drive so that Windows is on its own partition! It makes it easier to reinstall if things go tits up.

4. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Yeah, I used to do the same with my HDDs before I got SSD. My colleague wants it split into 3 partitions anyway. One for Win7 (200GB will suffice he says), one of 350GB for his work files and the remainder for storage/downloads.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I would get a better case... one that actually is more than the ultimate bare bone case (Antec 300). Get him or her something descent please.

I suggest 2 models:
    > Antec P183
    > Fractal Design R3 (available in multiple aluminum colors - white, silver, black, titanium) or the XL if you want a large tower

Both cases features:
    - sound damping panels
    - HDD vibration absorption system, to SIGNIFICANTLY reduce HDD noise
    - Space in the HDD cache, when even when it's full of HDD's /SSD's there is plenty of room for the air to pass
    - East access frontal ports
    - solid construct with solid door system (won't break over time)
    - Cable management system for a clean interior for easy accessibility and excellent air flow design
    - Plenty of HDD slots.
    - Nice, cool, professional, modern look
    - PLENTY of places to put fans to ensure the best air flow based on the installed hardware inside

To make the computer even quieter, I would get good system fans, like Noctua fans. A bit expensive, yes, but DAM quiet.

The rest is fine.

6. thetrashcanman

thetrashcanman Angel headed hipsters

whaaa? I have one of those drives in my machine right now and its pretty much silent, does his drive go to sleep? Because there very noisy when they wake up, but fine when there just on all the time.

7. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

Exactly. I'm using a F3 as well, and I can't hear it AT ALL. Neilc must have just gotten an unlucky draw....

8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thanks for the advice; however, budget, budget, budget.

He has a strict limit to spend and I can't really see the point downgrading the hardware to get a more 'gucci' or silent case. He's a gamer. He doesn't care how it looks or sounds, and the Antec 300 has very impressive cooling for it's price point i hasten to add.

And with ref to the two posts above, I've read the Bit Tech review of the F3, and I'm sticking with it. It was the fastest mechanical drive of it's time and there's loads of positive reviews about it.

Thanks all for input, but I think I'm ready to order on tuesday. :thumb:

9. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

If you're ordering from SCAN just be aware that the deals will likely rotate at 1:00PM on Tuesday afternoon since the Monday is a bank holiday. So if you want any particular deal or bundle on the 'Today Only' page it'd be best to order in the morning on Tuesday!

Sentinel-R1 likes this.
  10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Thanks Blog, you're a gent. It'll be first thing in the AM then.