1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Do you get asked for ID?

Discussion in 'General' started by DeadP1xels, 1 May 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I always love seeing the signpost to there, it means we are almost in Glastonbury which means, beer, great friends and their awesome shops.

Oh and no to getting asked for ID, far too manly and grr for that these days (I'm 33)

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Sometimes when buying booze in a supermarket or corner shop I get asked. More likely to get asked if I'm clean shaven too. Kinda annoying at times, when you're 29 you pretty much expect to be past all that. I never get asked in pubs though.

Passport runs out in 2 months and then I'll be stuffed...they are like £80 now! I can't afford that shit!

3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Have only ever been asked once if I remember correctly... it was when I was 22 and buying the family guy movie... which was a 15... eh. And this was me in full student phase with a 3 inch beard.

4. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Being in close relation to sasquatch in hairiness, I rarely get ID'd. I just bought some pipe tobacco yesterday actually and the lady didnt ask. Being 29 with facial hair (goatee), I look my age. If I were to shave I have a semi baby face (annoying, hence the facial hair). Plus being 6' tall I know I look older than I am. And I am getting gray in my goatee... :(

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

This thread has just reminded me to go and shave.

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i have never been asked for id

7. hardtailstar

hardtailstar "insert title here"

I never got ID'd until i was 18 and now i get it everywhere including the same person who works at the local tesco express and i see them on a weekly basis and have chats about stuff yet i still get ID'd!

EDIT: oh yeah im 22 and look underage i have been mistaken as a family friends 15 year old daughters boyfriend!

8. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

Used to never get ID'd at the supermarket where I worked, then I went on leave (and then quit), and they had a massive rollover of employees.... now I get carded for lotto every time I buy a ticket...

9. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

Only when I go on nights out in town with friends and the rugby team, mainly down to the fact all the pubs and clubs here have bouncers on the door one of them (zu bar) ID's on the door, then they get you to empty your pockets and metal detect you and then finally ID again and scan it into their machine they have.

However when buying alcohol in stores or in pubs in the daytime I havent been ID'd yet

10. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I've only been ID'ed once going into a night club and thats because i was holding my ID ready... he let me walk through half way then this guy just grabbed me by my shirt

I was walking really slowly so its not like i was sneaking in... he just felt like being a ****

11. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

Occasionally get ID'd in super markets

never get ID'd in pubs but as I used to live in a pub, i basically knew everyone who working in all the local pubs anyway. (And come to think of it i once got asked "you are over 18, aren't you?)

using the self service thingy at tesco I was buying a cheese and onion pasty, and it got tagged up as needing ID....which was worrying. More worrying was the woman asked for ID, until i pointed out that if this pasty did indeed contain alcohol, tobacco or a lottery ticket, I really didn't want it.

EDIT: am 20 with a beard, generally people think i look older than i am, which is quite useful.

12. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

Im 20 and for getting ID'd seems to not depend on me. Doesn't matter if i have been clean shaven and feel like i look 16 or whether i haven't shaven and look my age, I seem to be on the border of looking old enough so sometimes get asked and sometimes not.

Few months ago i got ID'd while buying beer in the Co-op Wine shot with my mum whereas tonight was just a case of stroll in with no ID to Corinthian where i suppose they dont get many students most nights so wouldn't expect to ID anyone.

Chris

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I still get carded for acids and such even though I havbe a long, full beard, gray temples and walk with a cane. I think it's a joke.

Never carded for alcohol, I've never even tried the stuff so no reason to buy it.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Whatfor do you have a "over 25" rule?
    Flying passenger planes?

I was going to ask why you have to show ID for a barbecue...but then I read about the teaspoons and stuff. :D
    Generally, anyone can ask anyone for ID in Oceania errr...Britain, right?

Aren't they considered hard-drugs? No wonder you get ID'd... :D

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

It's tough to rent a car if you're under 25, dunno about anything else.

16. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Think you have to be 25 to drive a bus :p

17. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Don’t think so bud, i personally know a bus driver that i went to 6th form with and he’s 22 : )

I get ID'd constantly, warranted I’m 21 years old but i look much older...Got a professional ginger beard going on too.

For the Isle of Wight at least the norm seems to be most businesses adhere to the 'Task 25' scheme which is a good idea to keep sales staff on their toes and not let any minors slip through.

However it does become annoying on Fridays Saturdays and Sunday when most business have adopted a strict no service to anyone under the age of 21 policy...

This stings a bit is that my other half works for Co-Op she is 20 years of age and she is legally allowed to sell these age restricted items...yet last Friday when i met her after her shift (about 5pm) and we did a quick shop, bought some ingredients for a stir fry and a bottle of wine i was refused sale by a supervisor because she had reason to believe I was to share said bottle of wine with a minor (My 20 yo girlfriend who works there!).

Despite my argument that she works there and was up until 20 minutes ago serving age restricted items herself didn’t seem to sway them.

In other cases I have been refused sale (even when producing ID) the situation has escalated to me requesting a manager, me producing my photo work ID, credit cards etc to no avail...Apparently I am no likeness to my ID the only difference being glasses and a stubble. So i proceeded to pay for the ret of the items and pay using my credit card...

Then attract the attention of the manager once more saying that he had better call the police as if I am not the person on my various forms of photo id I have just stolen the credit and debit cards and I was in the middle of committing credit card fraud and he was knowingly allowing that.

He laughed and suddenly became very very accommodating when i asked the checkout girl to rescan my £3.99 bottle of wine...

18. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

The last time I was ID checked I was thirty-three years old.

So don't worry about it, you'll get to a point in your life when it's a lovely thing to happen!

19. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

ID'ed? Wait - I just steal the booze :-/

*flex*

:D

20. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

I went to B&Q earlier and bought a can of paint

There is massive signs everywhere saying "If you are or appear to be under the age of 18 we will not sell you this item"

So having clean shaven first time in about a year (stubble technically) i expected the ID however when i got to the till she puts it through then something popped up on her screen that must have told her "restricted product ask for ID" or something like that

Which she then looked at me and said "Are you over 18"

This does'nt seem a good way to authorise my age.... so i reply with "Yes would you like to see my ID?" i felt like i was being the responsible person, she obviously said "Yes if i could" just seemed odd to me

I think she knew i was mature and was'nt about to go spray some cars grey, she was a nice lady but still did'nt seem such a robust system to me :p

I've also once bought a knife without being ID'ed.... not like a butter knife a full hunting style flip out i was 18 so i had nothing to be worried about but i never got asked

Im not sure if its people just being lazy or if they see me as a mature person im not sure, its not really like i had a legitmate reason for buying it either.... i just liked it and was into going for walks and carving weird patterns on fresh sticks...