1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxtor 160GB HD deal.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jason L, 27 Feb 2003.

1. Jason L

Jason L What's a Dremel?

Hey guys. If anybody wants to know, I just ordered a new retail box Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9, 160GB, 7200rpm, 8MB buffer, ATA/133, fluid dynamic bearing motor rated at 27db HD from Dell for $155 including free shipping and no tax. They had a deal with 15% off accessories and then I used an Amex business card and got another 5%off. I think the deal ends sometime soon but I'm not sure when. I know Dell is the devil but... what can you do.

I was going to wait for a sata drive (Seagate V) but I thought I shouldn't pass up this deal. It is Maxtor's DiamondMax® Plus 9 160GB, 7200rpm, 8MB buffer, ATA/133, with a fluid dynamic bearing motor rated at 27db.

I currently have a Seagate IV 80GB that I am very happy with, but ran out of space. I am hoping the new Maxtor will be a bit faster.

I was going to get a Seagate V but the 120GB drive was around $190 and $60 for a controller card just did not seem worth the price difference to the Maxtor -- 2x the cost per GB.

I'll let you guys know how it performs once I get it.

This means I'll have over 1/4 TB in my new cube ;)

2. Jaz

Jaz Banned

dell isn't the devil

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i dont think that officially you can start measuring hard drive in TB till you have at least half if not a full TB, im on a measly 220GB now, working m way up :D

4. scoob8000

scoob8000 Wheres my plasma cutter?

is it the 1 or 3 year warranty?

-scoob8000

5. Jason L

Jason L What's a Dremel?

only 1 year warranty unfortunately.

6. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Beat that!

7. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

I dont mean to be rude but, how in god's name did u get that much space, providing the image is genuine? Im no genius, but i cant see that a single hard drive could be that big?

Alex

8. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

Probably RAID Array....

9. Alekin

Alekin Minimodder

Its all on one drive though??

10. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Nah, it couldn't be, iif it was true it would be something insane like a RAID 7 array of SCSI disks and then the RAID array RAIDed with another :hehe: (not that I'm sure its possible :p, but I know commercially, for banks mainframe systems and the like, you can use stupid numbers of disks, like easily 30 single 10k rpm SCSI or fibre channel drives in an insane RAID array.

Doubt they'd be using Windows though ;) and personally I think the line on the pic showing where its been edited over another number is rather telling :p

11. Fronzel

Fronzel What's a Dremel?

In Windows 2000 and XP you can span several disks so that windows sees them as one drive.

So as long as you have IDE channels, you can keep adding drives.

I've got a bunch of 40s stacked together on my NLE to give me 200 or so gig.

12. penski

penski BodMod

that's not edited OVER - notice the comma. it's just before the <space> free bit :)

*jn

13. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

14. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Ah yeah, must learn to use my eyes properly :wallbash:

:)

15. markit

markit What's a Dremel?

I can assure you it is a genuine image, the only problem is that it was all on one drive, no RAID or anything, all that happened is I had ~5Gig on my HD as free space and i partitioned it for Debian but the install screwed my FAT partition up and itself! I rebooted my computer and got into windows ok (it screwed by second drive only) and found that all my files had swelled to at least a gig each!

Years of work went up in smoke, then i grabbed my backup

Strange thing is.. the only folder i found on my drive which was completely untouched was project orca...

I didn't realise i'd get such a big reaction from posting this.. damn i'm gonna get flamed...:sigh: :wallbash:

16. Madyeti

Madyeti Supermodder & sig shrinking victim

no prob :p I thought it was pretty cool. ~Davy

17. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

LOL, he has a life, and it must be far better than mine with all those HDDs :rolleyes: Always wanted to get say, 5 6-channel ATA RAID cards and have say, 30 180gig disks in a few RAID-0's. Then use doze to string them together into one drive.

And THEN, do something foolish like try and fill up the 5.4 terabytes of space you now own. Looks like there's no need for DivX anymore 'ey? :) Just straight MPEG2 rips from DVDs and keep the AC3 audio :D

18. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

You think a 9.34TB drive is impressive??? I once made a 1GB floppy disk on a 386 dx40. That was insanity.:eeek:

19. Boggy

Boggy What's a Dremel?

its just a windows **** up, i had that problem before ;)
    shabby old windows