1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I totally understand that, I often have gone with the flow of a changing direction to come up with an alternative & sometimes it has to be done but not this particular time for a change lol I want to gain either perfect or close to perfect acrylic curving skill as it is a fundemental challenge part of this mod & a way to be able to add a higher limit for what I can make for future projects :D.

Good suggestion, on the concept I made it so there was the alu bars & tinted window so it was flush so with that design I would have made the curve an extra 2mm space on the motherboard tray where I'd have placed a 2mm sheet of clear acrylic which sits behind the alu bars & then stick the tinted acrylic to the 2mm acrylic but I found out early on that the adhesive wasn't nice & caused ugly very visible blobs so ditched that idea.

There is another way, I could make fixings along the curve where I mount tabs to the motherboard tray & drill mounting holes & tap the tabs so there is fixing points & do similar on the other side, but I'll try to avoid the need in doing this with a perfectly formed curve first, I really do think if I'd have started doing this like my last attempt I'd have had it done by now.

Mesh is another alternative & could probably do it like the back panel out of 3mm sheet alu as it would make it easier to curve with all the holes.
    :D Don't worry about it mate you have education to do well in & a youth to enjoy, you only get the latter once in life so enjoy it & don't end up a grumpy git :hehe::) but anyway starting modding at your age you'll be an awesome modder in time mate :).

The acrylic sheet still hasn't arrived, that royal wedding made it like silly season for deliveries, should have been on a Saturday or Sunday so thanks for that Will, Kate & Dave but mostly Dave :lol::wallbash::D. Sooo hopefully tomorrow, got the extra 6 clamps today :).

2. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

how about som oven plate teflon paper? the one u use when baking? can take a couple of 100 deg Celcius, i use it alot when i transfer press clothes to protect the clothes from the heat of the trasfer press (180C). atleast here in sweden u can get a couple 600x400 mm sheets for 5€

edit: its really strong and quite thick, also very "non-stickisch"

3. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

From now I'll be...
    [​IMG]
    :lol: :D :p
    and being a modder at a young age isn't all fun and joy, I have to go to my dad and beg him for acrylic sheet :duh:

4. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Hmmm, how about getting a perfectly curved single sheet of aluminium (using a professional bending doohickey they use to make car panels and the like if necessary) and then just clamp an acrylic sheet to the non-curved end and gently heating the plastic over it to gently take the form?

How's the plastic going to attach to the aluminium side-rail bits?

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Great suggestion kelmannen but I changed back to just getting more clamps so should be able to get on with it now, thanks though mate :thumb:.

:hehe: Not sure what to say :D a paper round wouldn't help buy much at all, I used to help my dad on his milk round on saturday mornings & collecting on 2 evenings per week when I was young, I also know when I was about 12 I really wanted a small workshop lol but didn't get anything til the past few years :eeek: oh well better late than never :D.

Professional bending doohickey :hehe:, would that be panel beating & an english wheel?

How's the plastic going to attach to the aluminium side-rail bits? this is why it's difficult to get the curve spot on, it only attaches at the top 2 blocks & at the bottom where I mounted an angle bar so for this new approach without the sticking of a 2mm sheet internally the curve has to be perfect but if thats impossible for me which I have to acknowledge as a possibility I'll make some support tabs which I'll some how attach to the left curve & for the right side where the mobo tray is I could mount tabs to the mobo tray that allow the curved acrylic to attach to the tabs.

Got the clamps & acrylic now so once my bearings are altogether I'll make a start, not good to do this type of stuff when you've just woke up after a long sleep :D.

6. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

You could make a mold and use clear-cast resin. That would get round the tabs problem if you made a curved mold to go against the aluminium curved side-strips, and then a curved panel for the other side of the mold, to go inside with a gap of a few mm or so to leave tabs to attach to the aluminium strips. The clear cast polyster resin takes the surface of the mold, so will be perfectly smooth with an acrylic mold but likely to have surface markings with an aluminium mold that would likely need wet-n-dry sanding after. You can also add pigment to the polyester resin to make it smoked if you wanted to.

Or alternatively you could just get a strip of acrylic and have it routed down each side for the tabs (probably quick and simple so not very expensive), lay it inside the case with a bent sheet of aluminium to heat-bend it against (and not droop).

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I can't see myself going for a cast resin, think I'd sooner do the alternative of tripple layer mesh/window/grill if I can't do a plain window & I see letting it droop into place naturally from the heat as the best way, it gives a perfect form rather than forcing it, thanks for offering ideas though MP mate :thumb:.

Been a while since a real update but the project hasn't died yet lol :D.

There are many ways to fill the middle void but for the time being I want to focus on doing what I originally intended.

Here we go again :D sort of.

First I cut the 1mm sheet alu into an inner piece & outer piece, the scrap left over from the 2 cuts I clamped to the curve & put the motherboard tray in place so I could see exactly where the bottom end should be & to mark where the vents should be, I left about 10mm over for the bottom end of the acrylic.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I got side tracked with cleaning off all the red marker on the right side panels inside edges, started off using wet&dry strips but was taking forever so painted the edges with wd40 & it came off nice & easy :) & then re brushed the right side panel again, I love how it looks when freshly brushed :).

I got the top mount block cut outs done with the internal alu sheet & had to unbolt 1 side of the curve bar so I could get this 1 piece alu sheet in place, if only this was the design lol would be an absolute breeze to just cut a grill pattern into this, oh well I chose the difficult route & I'm sticking with it :D.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway I got the clamping pieces ready for tomorrow so might have a solid update of good progress then & if not tomorrow then day after :D.

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Oh yeah this will do me, at freaking last hehe :D.

Window cut to size & vents & top mounting holes added
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top little curve beginning, it was soooo difficult setting up this curving procedure with it just being me, but if I'd have been able to get a hand off someone it could have been done a lot easier, instead I had an ultra fiddly time & often had to use my head or chin to tighten the clamps lol.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Setting up for the big curve.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crazy clampage :D.
    [​IMG]

It didn't take a solid form of what I was aiming for but once mounted to the bottom mounts & a few added tabs in key spots it should be good.
    [​IMG]

And I wrapped it up for the day since it hit midnight lol.
    [​IMG]

Still though I'll need to make some 3mm alu tabs inside & out to hold it flush to the bars & with the top mounting holes being so close to the edge I'd be wise to use washers too & I have done better top curves but this one isn't too bad but if it bothers me enough I might do what some have suggested & combine 2 winning pieces & do something to hide the fact it's 2 separate parts :D.

KidMod-Southpaw and Editor22 like this.
  9. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Awesome done mate :D!

10. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

WTF? :jawdrop:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! :rock: :rock: :rock:

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Success! :D well done dude! +rep for perseverance :D

12. Colossous

Colossous Minimodder

Stunning duder :thumb:

13. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheers k.3nny I felt like jumping through the roof when I realised it turned out ok :lol::D had a lot of doubt though but I suppose thats natural with the amount of failed pieces :).

:hehe::D Cheers Marcos :thumb:.

Thanks Nate :) It was getting like an irritating reoccurring dream :lol: Just hope I don't end up breaking it when adding the bottom mounting holes & other aligning tabs :worried:.
    I think if I need to remake it again I would definitely make it in 2 pieces.

Thanks Colossous :thumb:.

14. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Hey, hey, hey. Is it done now? Is it done now? Is it done now?

15. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

:D I wish :lol: well this window part anyway, the rest I've enjoyed but certainly not this double curve window :wallbash: anyway, still need to shorten the lower area to correct length & then add the bottom mounting holes & support tabs (not sure how many) along the curve.

But before I can do anything on the build I really need to tidy up the garage, it has got superbad with hundreds of bits all over the place :lol: so yeah, I'll get all that straight & then I can complete the window in an uncluttered work space :).

Only thing with using tabs I'll have to file slots on the edge of the mobo tray so the tabs can get through & I'll need to make the tabs look nice & not clunky so might be best to step away from it while I think up a nice solution :D the window is formed well but it does need a little help in staying the same form as the bars.

16. Decy90

Decy90 What's a Dremel?

This looks gorgeous! Great job!!!

17. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

The patience to put Saints to shame mate :D :D :D

OCD pc building is such a double edged sword of which in my own way I'm guilty of :confused: :sigh: :duh:

But that is truly the dogs b*llocks in terms of design and workmanship :dremel: :thumb: :clap:

Absolutely stunning mate :D :D :D

18. IcyAero

IcyAero What's a Dremel?

Two words;

Heat gun

--------------
    Awesome so far :D

19. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thank you Decy90 :).

:D I was on the verge of going all
    [​IMG]
    though :hehe: cheers 23RO_UK :thumb:.

:D Thanks IcyAero :thumb:.

20. Attila

Attila still thinking....

I gotta hand it to you Wayne, you stuck with it and found a way around. Great work and determination. :thumb: